U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 2,192 times

Advertisements

I am a 29 year old female who was just offered a job in Philadelphia near Washington Square. I'll be moving with my dog - a lab (I don't know if breed size tends to matter in some areas). I'm moving from Chicago where I live in a very quiet residential area but am only a few blocks from all of the bars, etc.

I'm looking for an area that is similar to the area I currently live in (Lakeview in Chicago if you are familiar). I don't mind the "bros"/over-aged frat boys but I do like to see other professionals around too. I'd prefer to live in a house rather than an apartment building. I also have a car so hopefully an area that also has easier parking (I used to live across from Wrigley Field and would spend 45 min-hour searching for parking in a one mile radius so "easy parking" is relative to me haha). I'd like to live in a quieter neighborhood but have easy-access to nightlife, restaurants, etc. I'd love to stay under $2000/month (and even happier to stay under $2000/mo with utils but totally understandable if that's not possible). Of course I'm also looking for a safe neighborhood where I can walk alone at night.

If you are familiar with Chicago, I am less Lincoln Park and more Lakeview but I don't mind LP. Based on other topics, it seems like Manayunk might be a good option but I'd love any suggestions or insight you could give me. Thank you!!

Last edited by heather1314; 04-02-2016 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 05:58 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather1314 View Post
I am a 29 year old female who was just offered a job in Philadelphia near Washington Square. I'll be moving with my dog - a lab (I don't know if breed size tends to matter in some areas). I'm moving from Chicago where I live in a very quiet residential area but am only a few blocks from all of the bars, etc.

I'm looking for an area that is similar to the area I currently live in (Lakeview in Chicago if you are familiar). I don't mind the "bros"/over-aged frat boys but I do like to see other professionals around too. I'd prefer to live in a house rather than an apartment building. I also have a car so hopefully an area that also has easier parking (I used to live across from Wrigley Field and would spend 45 min-hour searching for parking in a one mile radius so "easy parking" is relative to me haha). I'd like to live in a quieter neighborhood but have easy-access to nightlife, restaurants, etc. I'd love to stay under $2000/month (and even happier to stay under $2000/mo with utils but totally understandable if that's not possible). Of course I'm also looking for a safe neighborhood where I can walk alone at night.

If you are familiar with Chicago, I am less Lincoln Park and more Lakeview but I don't mind LP. Based on other topics, it seems like Manayunk might be a good option but I'd love any suggestions or insight you could give me. Thank you!!
Fishtown. Northern Liberties. Yes, Manayunk although parking is a ....... There's a frequent poster here, about your age, who lives there. Afaik, she's single and she loves Manayunk. You might also consider living right in the Wash West/Washington Sq. neighborhood. It contains Philly's traditional Gayborhood which is also called Midtown Village. Washington Sq does get tourists because the square is a block away from Independence Hall. I consider Wash West safe. The others, IMO, are safe too.

You might also look at neighborhoods in University City. The parking will be easier!

Your budget for rent should be okay.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:22 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
I'm the Yunker! 31 single chick, lived here for over 2 years and absolutely love it!

Kyb suggested all the places I was going to. But for $2000, you can live pretty much anywhere in Philly without issue and likely get parking in the majority of neighborhoods as well. Parking is terrible in Manayunk and can be iffy in Fishtown/NoLibs, but $2000 will at least get you an upscale townhome with garage/parking in Manayunk for sure.

Sidenote: I had a killer night out in Lakeview a few years ago Chicago is one of my favorite cities! I was looking at potentially moving there before I chose Philly and was primarily focusing on Lincoln Square

Old 04-03-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:

I didn't mention that every neighborhood I frequent is dog-friendly. All kinds from labs to collies to little, ferocious Pomeranians.... well if they don't know you they do a ton of barking at you. Lol

Old 04-03-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I'm the Yunker! 31 single chick, lived here for over 2 years and absolutely love it!

Kyb suggested all the places I was going to. But for $2000, you can live pretty much anywhere in Philly without issue and likely get parking in the majority of neighborhoods as well. Parking is terrible in Manayunk and can be iffy in Fishtown/NoLibs, but $2000 will at least get you an upscale townhome with garage/parking in Manayunk for sure.

Sidenote: I had a killer night out in Lakeview a few years ago Chicago is one of my favorite cities! I was looking at potentially moving there before I chose Philly and was primarily focusing on Lincoln Square
I love Chicago! Been there for Phillies' games at Wrigley. The only problem with it for me is that I'm very spoiled by having NYC being so close to Philly. Things like the coming TriBeCa Film Fest would be a lot harder for me to get to if I was in Chicago.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post

Thanks for the feedback! Do you ever find Manayunk to feel far from Center City? Where I currently live in Lakeview is 6 miles from the Loop. Takes about 35 min on the CTA or about 25 min driving (without traffic) and that feels reasonably close to me - mind you it's a straight shot from my area to the Loop (no transfers, just one train).

You mentioned looking at Lincoln Square in Chicago. That area feels a bit remote to me since it is primarily residential with not a lot in the general area (some good restaurants worth traveling to Lincoln Square to go to but everything else I'd have to travel out of Lincoln Square). Is this similar to Manayunk or is there more to do in that area?

I've technically only been to Philadelphia on day trips for work. They fly me in, I take a cab to the office, I take a cab back to the airport and come back to Chicago all in one day. However, now they're transferring me to that office so I really don't know the city that well, which is why I'm trying to make neighborhood comparisons, although I know neighborhoods can't quite be compared.

Where in Lakeview did you go out? There are so many great places in this area. It'll definitely be hard to leave!

Old 04-03-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I didn't mention that every neighborhood I frequent is dog-friendly. All kinds from labs to collies to little, ferocious Pomeranians.... well if they don't know you they do a ton of barking at you. Lol
Sounds a lot like Chicago. There's a lot of really ferocious 5-15 pound dogs that own these streets. They're the main cause of our violence that you hear on the national news... Vicious.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:54 PM

Nope I don't find Manayunk far at all! I commute on the train for work in Center City every weekday and it's about 20-25min so shorter than what you're used to! One train, no transfers. Driving is about 15ish minutes depending on what route you take and the traffic.

lol I should've mentioned - no Manayunk is not like Lincoln Square. Manayunk has a clearly defined "downtown" area (Main Street) lined with bars, restaurants, shops, etc. There's a nice trail that runs along the river as well that's good for walking/running, biking, etc. Manayunk is VERY VERY VERY dog friendly!

Oh my gosh, I don't even remember where in Lakeview we went, it was a few years ago lol. I was out there interviewing for a job and was out with a friend of a friend that took me to a bunch of places. I also spent some time in Wicker Park/Bucktown and really enjoyed those areas.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:51 PM

Manayunk sounds like it's definitely a top choice. Is it more of a hipster area or would that be Fishtown? What about the population of Northern Liberties? I guess I'm looking for more Vineyard Vines than plaid flannel - but not actually either extreme hahah.

Thanks so much for your help, by the way!

Old 04-04-2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Manayunk sounds like it's definitely a top choice. Is it more of a hipster area or would that be Fishtown? What about the population of Northern Liberties? I guess I'm looking for more Vineyard Vines than plaid flannel - but not actually either extreme hahah.

Thanks so much for your help, by the way!
Manayunk is more bro-ey, def more Vineyard Vines type material. Fishtown is definitely the hipster area. NoLibs is as well but not to the extreme of Fishtown. NoLibs used to be the "Fishtown" area - it gentrified first but then it became increasingly popular and more expensive so people interested in NoLibs started moving to neighboring Fishtown instead. I looked at Fishtown as well when I was moving here but it can still be very block by block in terms of safety and things to do. If you want to avoid people wearing flannel and skinny jeans while riding their bicycles and stroking their beards and mustaches, don't move to Fishtown lol. I still enjoy going out in Fishtown and go up there every few months or so.

Also, I've been helping another couple who's moving here... this thread has lots of good info: //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-manayunk.html

Last edited by Becca8377; 04-04-2016 at 04:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or