Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 12:13 PM

81 posts, read 183,423 times

Advertisements

I was wondering is there any development/gentrification going on around the zoo or girard ave? I go to the zoo and center city often, but did notice that near the zoo seems pretty run down until u cross the river, is there any development happening or going to happen in the area?

Also is there a thread of strictly development news or pictures of construction etc like the wired ny forum page has? Any pages like that for philly? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
In my opinion - and this is only an opinion - the immediate area near the zoo is pretty rough and I don't see signs of "gentrification" going on.

If an investor is looking to buy a property in West Philly the best area is University City. University City itself has become fairy expensive now, but the savvy investor will look to the border areas of this district: a block or two (only!!!) into Mantua near Spring Garden, the western part of Powelton Village - those few blocks just west and north of Penn Presby Hospital, and the "corridor" between 50th and 52nd Streets (but not west of 52nd!) between Walnut and Baltimore. West Philly real estate is iffy and much of it is "Da 'Hood."

I'm told some of large "mansions" - now apartments - directly on Parkside are being renovated, but I'm not so sure about that.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:39 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
I was wondering is there any development/gentrification going on around the zoo or girard ave? I go to the zoo and center city often, but did notice that near the zoo seems pretty run down until u cross the river, is there any development happening or going to happen in the area?

Also is there a thread of strictly development news or pictures of construction etc like the wired ny forum page has? Any pages like that for philly? Thanks!
If you mean the stretch between Belmont Ave and 34th St, on Girard, no, there's nothing happening there. A real shame because along Parkside Ave, from 52nd and 40th, there are terrific houses, most in fine shape, particularly the massive Victorian "mansions" across from Memorial Hall(Please Touch Museum).

Old 04-08-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In my opinion - and this is only an opinion - the immediate area near the zoo is pretty rough and I don't see signs of "gentrification" going on.

If an investor is looking to buy a property in West Philly the best area is University City. University City itself has become fairy expensive now, but the savvy investor will look to the border areas of this district: a block or two (only!!!) into Mantua near Spring Garden, the western part of Powelton Village - those few blocks just west and north of Penn Presby Hospital, and the "corridor" between 50th and 52nd Streets (but not west of 52nd!) between Walnut and Baltimore. West Philly real estate is iffy and much of it is "Da 'Hood."

I'm told some of large "mansions" - now apartments - directly on Parkside are being renovated, but I'm not so sure about that.
Thanks. Keep labeling Overbrook, Overbrook Park, Overbrook Farms or Wynnefield "Da Hood" as much of those are west of 52nd and by, inference, drop kicking" some wonderful people who live in those communities including my 98 year aunt, her daughters(my cousins) and my older sister. Try getting out of your UC bubble a bit more.

The mansions along Parkside were renovated something like 15-20 years ago. They still look fine at least on the outside.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:08 PM

81 posts, read 183,423 times
Is it safe to say, from a visual stand point, that west philly is far better compared to north philly? I have never been in the area but based on streetview you have more intact blocks, with row homes with flowers etc and maybe a few blocks that are a little more run down, especially on the northside of west philly it loosk like near the zoo? Is this a safe guess for me to make or am i totally wrong

Old 04-08-2016, 06:18 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:

oh boy you mean before you cross the river? Up ridge ave or girard? That is the way the gps tells me to get on 76 most of the time. It makes me sweat. And it is ground zero for the largest public housing authority project of all time in the city.

Sharswood Blumberg

Hopefully one day whole stretch can be revived from decay. I really hope this succeeds. It is worth noting that more gentrification is coming to girard.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 04-08-2016 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Is it safe to say, from a visual stand point, that west philly is far better compared to north philly? I have never been in the area but based on streetview you have more intact blocks, with row homes with flowers etc and maybe a few blocks that are a little more run down, especially on the northside of west philly it loosk like near the zoo? Is this a safe guess for me to make or am i totally wrong
Yes, W. Philly is generally better than N. Philly although there are gentrified/gentrifying neighborhoods in N. Philly west of Broad St.

As I pointed out in my rebuke to Clark Park, neighborhoods further west(near the border with Montgomery Co) in W. Philly: parts of Cobbs Creek, most of Overbrook, all of Overbrook Farms and Overbrook Park plus Wynnfield/Wynnfield Heights are very intact. They are pretty much, majority black. But too many people in, say, University City, think that no one but criminals live in these places.

The area I think you mean near the zoo is Mantua.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia