U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 3,491 times

Advertisements

My family recently moved to the South Center City area from Brooklyn,NY I am in search of activities for a 13 month old. We can always travel to the park or do swim classes at the YMCA on Christian street, but other than that I haven't found any mommy and me or kid friendly activities. I know about NEST in CC but they are expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 PM

4,177 posts, read 9,640,419 times
Try this website.

Local Parenting and Community Resources | South Philly Parents Resource Center

This one

Philly Parent Circle - Mommybites

I know the person who helped started it. I think they are on FB now.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:40 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,615,027 times
Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts has family programs:

https://www.pafa.org/families

Old 04-07-2016, 11:54 AM

66 posts, read 77,296 times
We used to live in the city but not in the burbs. Here are a few recs...

1- look for a parents group via facebook. most neighborhoods have something. Wee Wander serves the whole area but has good ideas also.
2- pennsymom is a google group. technically for those who delivered at Pennsylvania hospital but nobody is checking. you might get good ideas posting there.
3- some of our favorite spots in Philly include: Mamas Wellness Joint (yoga including toddler & me), little theater baby wordplay, InMovement, Smith Playground (great cheap fun with a toddler), dog park and playground on the schuylkill banks. there is a fit4mom exercise program that is also over on the river. If you are close to the river you are also close to 76 and can easily get up to NW Philly which has the Wissahickon which is fun for exploring.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:58 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
When I was a young Mom I found some of my first friends at our local libraries storytime programs. Many of the other Mom's were just like me - looking for something to do with their kids and looking for adult friends. Most libraries have programs starting with babies. Best of all, most programs are free!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:14 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
When I was a young Mom I found some of my first friends at our local libraries storytime programs. Many of the other Mom's were just like me - looking for something to do with their kids and looking for adult friends. Most libraries have programs starting with babies. Best of all, most programs are free!

I believe the library at 7th/Carpenter/Passyunk has a program like this

Old 04-08-2016, 12:18 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Every library has children's programs. Use your libraries - you're paying for them! My library has new books, e-books you can borrow, downloadable books, Wii/x-box 360, etc. games to borrow, classes to attend, entertainment, etc.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 3,491 times
Thanks all your suggestions. I will definitely look into the libraries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia