Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 03:40 PM

15 posts, read 39,324 times

Advertisements

I'm helping a friend research a home to purchase that is a reasonable commute to the South Philly area and several homes have come up in her price range in Broomall. Three are on Fairview Road. Is there anything "wrong" with that area? We were surprised to see so many listed at the same time.

If you have any other locations to suggest - we welcome the input. Her price range is up to $225,000. She is not opposed to a townhouse or condo - she just doesn't want a high HOA. The area should be safe, not too noisy, and in an area that's holding its property value. Walking distance to SEPTA train would be great but not a necessity. She likes the idea of it being somewhat centrally located in case her next job is not in Philly.

She likes the idea of Conshohocken, but you really can't get much for that price range in that area unless it's a condo and the HOAs are really high. She is also keeping an eye on Plymouth Meeting and Lafayette Hill, mostly b/c Montgomery County is more familiar than Delaware County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 03:55 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,160,227 times
I have a friend who lives near Fairview, but on the other side of Malin. I wouldn't necessarily say that there's anything wrong with that street, it's just that it's a cut-through road, if you will, between Malin and West Chester Pike. It sounds like it's just her (no kids) so that might not be an issue, but since she's looking to buy, I would caution against it just simply due to resale value.

Havertown might be a good match (but not the part that's over Township Line Road in Upper Darby Township). Havertown homes tend to be more expensive, but again, since it's just her, she may have luck finding something a bit smaller that is more affordable. It's not too bad getting into the city from H-town.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:13 AM

Thanks Flyers Girl - I appreciate the feedback. No, she wouldn't like a busy road, and it is just her.

OK, we'll check out Havertown but avoid the Upper Darby section.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:04 PM

26 posts, read 27,381 times
Small world, I live near there and cut through Fairview rather than sitting at the light. I wouldn't say it's a busy road but it does get more cars than the surrounding roads (James, Delia, etc). Houses in that area are small and usually well kept, with many seniors who are nice to talk to. Prices will hold but aren't appreciating much. Taxes are much lower than Havertown, Springfield, and Media. Schools (Marple-Newtown) are good. Older housing stock but well built and low maintenance.

I have a friend who lives alone in that area and likes it. Bus is a short walk. Very convenient to 476 and surprisingly quick to get to Radnor, KoP, and even West Chester via back roads at rush hour.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:37 AM

Thanks WaffleCone - I think she's ruled out this area but I do appreciate the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia