U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,844,320 times

Advertisements

Interesting...

Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island are very insular and provincial communities to a certain degree, but they still have access to Manhattan.

My ex-wife is from East New York, Brooklyn, lived right off of Pitkin Avenue for over 30 years. That neighborhood is one of the most ghettoized communities I've ever visited in my life. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island are not cosmopolitan, Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn are... however because of Manhattans power and influence, people unfamiliar with NYC think it is extremely cosmopolitan, when only 1.5 of the 5 boroughs actually are. Plus New Yorkers have more pride in their city than many Philadelphians which is a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,844,320 times
Quote:
I know everyone likes to randomly tear down NYC for whatever reason,
It stems from jealousy that their own city is not and will never be as GREAT as New York City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I know everyone likes to randomly tear down NYC for whatever reason, but you might want to check out what's going on in the Bronx & (especially) Queens lately and revisit this statement.

And there are certainly parts of Queens that are more cosmopolitan than parts of Manhattan (which is also not so easily characterized in broad brush strokes).

Old 04-22-2016, 09:36 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
It stems from jealousy that their own city is not and will never be as GREAT as New York City.
Lol. A thread about what might be cosmopolitan about Philadelphia becomes a thread about NYC. Sigh...

Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island are not cosmopolitan, Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn are... however because of Manhattans power and influence, people unfamiliar with NYC think it is extremely cosmopolitan, when only 1.5 of the 5 boroughs actually are. Plus New Yorkers have more pride in their city than many Philadelphians which is a shame.
The latter is easy to answer. New Yorkers know what their place is in the world. Philadelphians, despite of our unique history wrt the country, really don't.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:05 PM

764 posts, read 581,722 times
Manhattan is as cosmopolitan as it gets, and that's inevitable - the center of one of the biggest cities in the world. Parts of Brooklyn near it, such as Williamsburg and the surrounding area, are starting to get that spillover effect, much the same way places like Hoboken and Jersey City are. When my parents were growing up, there was no such place as "DUMBO" = (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass). A lot of South Brooklyn has been overrun by Russians now, but there are some roots left in places like Bay Ridge. Pipin's Pub - a family favorite - is still alive and well there. Staten Island is insular and territorial, not to mention full of the stereotypical NY lowlives. Did I mention guidos? I always liked Queens though and it despite it being calmer and more suburban than Brooklyn, it doesn't seem to have the same "uptightness" that Staten Island has.

CC Philly is a lot like Midtown Manhattan, but it is much smaller. Philadelphia is roughly 1/8 the size of NYC as a whole so its center naturally will be much smaller too. Some people call it the 6th borough, though I don't know I'd agree with that. South Philly is a lot like a real neighborhood, with it's Italian-American nature tied to it, not to mention the mob. What would you consider Philly's equivalent to Bay Ridge? Like an Irish neighborhood?

I also think what you would also consider to be provincial though is the fact that Philly still has many bad neighborhoods, mostly north and west, but these are places anyone not from there would stick out passing through. What does NYC have these days that's as bad as those neighborhoods in Philly? East New York maybe, and East Harlem? Not much else in that category. Although my father says NYC was safer 5 years ago than it is now, not a fan of the current mayor.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:58 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I know everyone likes to randomly tear down NYC for whatever reason, but you might want to check out what's going on in the Bronx & (especially) Queens lately and revisit this statement.

And there are certainly parts of Queens that are more cosmopolitan than parts of Manhattan (which is also not so easily characterized in broad brush strokes).
perhaps more bizarre is new Yorkers need to tear down other cities, particularly philly as if their dominance depended on putting other places down

Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 AM

10,160 posts, read 7,821,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
MPipin's Pub - a family favorite - is still alive and well there.
Pippin's Pub is being torn down and replaced with luxury condos. Even Bay Ridge is pretty gentrified/cosmopolitan these days. Nice 2 bedrooms can go for $1 million in Bay Ridge.

But I think Pippin's is relocating somewhere nearby, so you'll still be able to visit.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Pippin's Pub is being torn down and replaced with luxury condos. Even Bay Ridge is pretty gentrified/cosmopolitan these days. Nice 2 bedrooms can go for $1 million in Bay Ridge.

But I think Pippin's is relocating somewhere nearby, so you'll still be able to visit.
Seems this is a chain? There is a Pippin's tavern in Chicago I was in on Rush St. Looks like it was a bar for a long long time. But 30-some years as a Pippin's Tavern. Skyscrapers all around it and
Seems this is a chain? There is a Pippin's tavern in Chicago I was in. Looks like it was a bar for a long time. But think at some time it was bought and became a Pippin's. It has Skyscrapers all around it and Chicago Hot Dogs with a beer is just right there.

Visiting the city in June again. Might stop in for another.
It was a block off Chicago's high-end shopping street in Rush St.

Last edited by lifesabeach5032; 04-26-2016 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: removed streetviews that sis not take.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:56 PM

10,160 posts, read 7,821,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesabeach5032 View Post
Seems this is a chain?
Nope, just a locally owned Irish place. They sold the building to condo developers.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:36 PM

2,838 posts, read 2,417,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I love the provincial feel of Philly. Everyone in Philly seems to be from here. There is a local culture, cuisine, etc here whose NY counterpart cannot be found in Manhattan. You have to go to the outer boroughs of NY to find the equivalent. Similarly, in DC, go to a bar and you'll often see more people cheering against the local teams than for them.

That said, Philly also has the bones, culture, and history to make it secretly one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the country. Best mix of both imo.

AND IT PAYS TO DO MY RESEARCH!!!

This has been bugging me for a week now. Having gone to Philly recently a few times with a possibility to move, I have haven't yet been able to pin it down. I am really into dissecting surroundings but for some reason, Philly has escaped me. I have what I call a large subconscious lens in that I can feel space and texture beyond my immediate border. I can come to a city and immediately understand its texture and know what is going on beyond the city center- I feel the energy of a city almost. I did it most recently for most of southern California's counties-going out west for the first time, DC/VA area, NY/NJ, South Florida, etc. But Philadelphia has been hard for me to get a feel beyond city center and south street for some reason. It is really bugging me.

However, I have managed to pry open some of its secrets. Living in DC now, I can tell you that I too have noticed that Philly has a good sense of authentic local culture. DC's local culture on the other hand is mainly made up of those that live there but aren't part of it's original aesthetics. So when I came to Philly last month and again this past weekend, I immediately felt the original hustle, local authentic grind, pureness, diversity, with a touch of world class. But more importantly, the cross-shared state of energy between NJ/NY/Philly. In DC, there isn't any cross energy but what you get is a local-centralized, but monocultural energy- even though it is ethnically diverse.

So now I can sleep better because I knew I was on to something but didn't have anyone or anything to validate my feelings... But there is still work to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or