Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:25 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,904,203 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? HOpefully this summer if i get the offer
Where are you coming from? Edina MN
Why are you moving? My job has open positions in Bala cynwyd
Where will you be working? Bala Cynwyd
Have you been here yet? Yes i used to work there before my job moved to MInnesota

Will you buy or rent? rent for now. Eventually buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? 3 bedroom. doesn't matter as long as it has plenty of space.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? either one.
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married. Stepchildren- 12, 10. Bio children- 4 and 2
Do you prefer public or private schools? Affordable private and charter. Schools that have their own rules and dont TEACH TO THE TEST.
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? Want yes, need no
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? neighborhood with other kids. Want to see kids playing outside

What do you want to be closest to? Work, Walkable to shopping and basic services.
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Let's just say i dont wanna be the only African American family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 12:39 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,351,190 times
Kind of hard to give recommendations if we don't know your budget. BTW, where did you live before when you worked here? (I mean, Philly...I still act like I live there, LOL)

Old 04-28-2016, 08:38 AM

4,235 posts, read 3,676,702 times
Look in Bala Cynwyd.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,227 times
Look into East Falls. Beautiful neighborhood steps away from Bala, just outside the city. Lots of family residents!

Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 PM

Bala is definitely an option. For a 3 bedroom rental, the max is probably 1700. I would hope to get something cheaper though. That way the extra money could go towards saving for a house. i was thinking West Mt Airy but i know the philly school district isn't great. So right now, im thinking Ardmore, Mt Airy(east or west). Not sure what else yet. Also im hoping to find an accredited daycare/preschool as well.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:15 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,528,660 times
If possible, you should rent in the vicinity of where you are planning to buy, so that you don't have to change schools again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Bala is definitely an option. For a 3 bedroom rental, the max is probably 1700. I would hope to get something cheaper though. That way the extra money could go towards saving for a house. i was thinking West Mt Airy but i know the philly school district isn't great. So right now, im thinking Ardmore, Mt Airy(east or west). Not sure what else yet. Also im hoping to find an accredited daycare/preschool as well.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
If possible, you should rent in the vicinity of where you are planning to buy, so that you don't have to change schools again.
Agreed. According to the posters here, Lower Merion school district is one of the best. and it's close to my job .So this would make the most sense.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:04 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,398,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Agreed. According to the posters here, Lower Merion school district is one of the best. and it's close to my job .So this would make the most sense.
Sure, but overall it ain't diverse. Maybe Ardmore is the most diverse, but even that town is 85% white.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Sure, but overall it ain't diverse. Maybe Ardmore is the most diverse, but even that town is 85% white.
im convinced i wont get everything im looking for. If i choose Mt airy im gonna have to pay for private school.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:15 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,907,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Lower Merion as a whole is ~80%/20% white/visible minority. The public schools are 75%/25%. I wouldn't call it diverse in the objective sense, but it's hardly lily white, especially for a suburban area.

Whether that's diverse enough for the OP is something else entirely. The bigger issue, IMO, is finding a 3-bedroom rental for $1,700.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia