U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 4,286 times

Advertisements

I got a job near chester county hospital near west chester. We are a family of 3 including one toddler and one more is on his/her way late this year. Initially we plan to rent a individual family house with in 30 minutes of west chester.

We prefer to live in a area with lot of young families, diverse population and good elementary school. Some of the areas mentioned in the forum are chester springs, lionsville etc.

Would like to have more information. Thanks!

When are you moving? With in 6 months
Where are you coming from? Philadelphia city
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Chester county hospital
Have you been here yet? No
Will you buy or rent? Initially rent and then possibly buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House 1500 to 3000 dollars
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Individual house
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)
Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with one toddler and other on the way!
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public schools but since my kid is toddler now its either way for now
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Quiet
What do you want to be closest to?
Work - With in 30 minutes
Shopping - Close
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Close
Nightlife- Doesnt matter
Train or subway stations - Doesnt matter
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Prefer to live in a place with diverse population

Last edited by Justanothernomad; 04-17-2016 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Added further information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 10:51 AM

1,244 posts, read 799,046 times
So, you live in Philly, got a job offer in West Chester, and you've never been to West Chester?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothernomad View Post

When are you moving? With in 6 months
Where are you coming from? Philadelphia city
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Chester county hospital
Have you been here yet? No

Old 04-17-2016, 11:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,723,325 times
Why not just rent in West Chester? I know, kind of obvous, but is there any reason you are not considering that? The "diverse population" stuff sort of pares down the many places that fit the other wants. West Chester/Phoenixville are probably the only "diverse" areas. Downingtown, Exton, etc are pretty one-dimensional commuter communities . . .

Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 AM

Have you been here yet? No. I answered it no just because I am not familiar with that area to pick up a place to live. I just know a little bit about that place. Appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2016, 11:57 AM

@thunderkat59 If everything else fits the criteria..."Diversity" is not a deal breaker. I heard west chester is sort of college town. so i am bit skeptical that as a family with young kids how well i will fit there.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:41 PM

1,244 posts, read 799,046 times
OK. If you're willing to spend 1,500 to 3,000 on rent, why not buy a house? There's a lot of good places in Chester county.

It just depends on what type of house you want but I'd go with one in a sub-division, where you'll likely find a lot of young families. One area that I'm yet to see anyone mention on this board is Easttown. It's a bit pricey but you could get a house if you are willing to pay up to $3,000. I would also consider East Goshen.

As regarding West Chester, I know a couple of guys there who have families and they really like it. I'd be concerned with the large student population, you have all sorts of people coming into the area because of the college.

Quote:
Have you been here yet? No. I answered it no just because I am not familiar with that area to pick up a place to live. I just know a little bit about that place. Appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2016, 12:53 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,723,325 times
Quote:
@thunderkat59 If everything else fits the criteria..."Diversity" is not a deal breaker. I heard west chester is sort of college town. so i am bit skeptical that as a family with young kids how well i will fit there.
Ok, that makes it clear. I lived a lot of my life in West Chester and it is a college town now. The students can make your life miserable depending on where you are. IF you can get into a neighborhood with little or no student rentals, you will be OK, but anywhere on the south end of town, you might suffer their wrath. I lived all over WC, but after my stay on the first block of S. High Street I had to move out. It was THAT bad.
Dowingtown is a little more laid back, conservative and have some good schools. You might want to check that area out. Very different in feel than WC. Much more family oriented and there is a train stop.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:50 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
I'm fairly familiar with West Chester and the area around it. Really, with the exception of the area close to the college, anywhere within 30 minutes of West Chester would be a good place to live. Heading Northeast (and directly East) towards, Exton will be more congested but more housing stock. Downingtown is very family friendly and you can find new and older developments in your price range. I agree that you should consider buying - you'll find more houses to buy than to rent. Diversity-wise, West Chester is your best bet unless you look at Kennett Square, where I think many Hispanic families have settled. That's not a dig on the schools - they are quite good. You can compare schools here: Kennett Middle School in Landenberg PA - SchoolDigger.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Thanks for all the input...Agree it is better to buy but I am not ready at this point to invest. May be year or two down the line will try to buy. Hopefully by that time I will know the neighborhoods better as well.

On the other hand there are only very few options to rent in comparison to buy. Especially exton and downingtown doesn't have much houses to rent. East goshen area seems to be nice as well but again few renting options!

How is the commute between easttown township to chester county hospital in peak hours?

Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 PM

998 posts, read 917,995 times
If you can find a rental in the Unionville/Chadds Ford school district, you would be in one of the best school districts in the state. You'd probably commute up Route 52 or Route 202. Neither is awful compared to highways like the Schuylkill Expressway or I-95 along the river in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or