U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 16,854 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I have been looking to relocate to the Philly area for a couple of years now, and were originally looking in Rydal, Meadowbrook & Abington. Recently, we've been looking at Huntingdon Valley, specifically Bryn Athyn. I searched the forum but didn't find very much. I'd like to know a lot about the place I'm going to live long-term and right now, feel pretty clueless.

We've been there several times and it looks like a really nice town, but I'd love any/all info and details (both good and bad) the experts here are willing to offer.

Details on us:
My wife and I are early 40s professionals
We have a 3 year old son

Thanks so much...just tell me if I should provide more info
Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:49 PM

316 posts, read 886,547 times
I'm not an expert, but I'll tell you what I know having grown up in nearby Abington. Bryn Athyn is very nice, expensive, and super duper small. So small, it's not worth mentioning on here often when the neighboring areas can mostly capture Bryn Athyn as well. If memory serves, they technically have a school district but don't have any schools. So, it's that kind of small. Instead kids go to private schools, there are excellent ones in the area, or to neighboring Lower Moreland School District, which is a really great school district with a relatively small population. In general, if you want to get a feel for the area when and advice looking though the forum, look for threads mentioning Lower Moreland.

The things that are more particular to Bryn Athyn is that it is a kind of religious community, with the Academy of the New Church and the very small, affiliated Bryn Athyn College. The area has really pretty architecture, the church and college I think are basically the former estate of someone prominent in the area. It's not a problem if you're not part of their church and want to live in Bryn Athyn, just good to know that it's part of that community and it's history.

There's a nearby Septa regional rail stop (Bethayres is the name of the station, which is a small area in Lower Moreland, just south of Bryn Athyn). Not sure where you'll be working, but the regional rail is on the West Trenton line and allows you to take the local or the express into the city. It's also not difficult to get to the turnpike or other roads from here, about 10 minutes typically to the turnpike I'd say. There's a few things nearby in Huntingdon Valley in terms of restaurants, but you're close to Jenkintown and Abington to help add to that. You're also very close to Far NE Phila. Grocery shopping is close, retail shopping also a few minutes further with basically all you can ask for in Willow Grove or closer.

As long as you can afford it (and depending on size, I'd say start thinking upwards of a $1.5 million as most are substantial properties), it's a great area. Biggest challenge I would think is that I can't imagine much is available for sale in the area. It really is a small area, so I'd be shocked if there were even 5 homes for sale in the area on average at any given time. People are happy there, not moving often. If you come up on a time crunch, I'd say aim more for parts of Lower Moreland, Rydal, and Meadowbrook that have similar stone houses that you'd find in Bryn Athyn. Doing so would put you at most 5 minutes away from Bryn Athyn. An area in Jenkintown called Jenkintown Manor, just next to Rydal is another option and just a a few minutes further away, literally 7 minutes instead of 5, and also has beautiful stone houses.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:24 PM

883 posts, read 529,901 times
Pretty much what Jasmine said. I see one house for sale in Bryn Athyn right now, and it looks like it used to be a church. So while gorgeous, the layout is somewhat odd.

But the bigger point is, 1 house for sale. Bryn Athyn is only 1.9 square miles. I would also suggest expanding your search slightly.

Oh, and if you can fill out the questions in the following thread and copy/paste them here, that would be helpful. //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...formation.html

Old 04-19-2016, 06:49 PM

9 posts, read 16,854 times
Thanks. I understand how tiny this area is We are also looking in Rydal, Meadowbrook and other pars of HV. My question more specifically is that we may have the chance to purchase a home in Bryn Athyn in the near future, and I'd like to get as much info about that area as I can before deciding if it's right for us.

Here's one question specifically: I understand there are no public schools in the Bryn Athyn school district, but the district will subsidize sending children to Lower Moreland (or UM or Abington in certain cases). But I'm not sure there is any busing in Bryn Athyn. Does anyone know how they handle transportation of the children who attend public schools? Do those districts come into BA to bus the children out? Do families arrange their own transportation and BA subsidize the costs?

All info would be welcome...the people...the community itself...the church....the preserve land...I'll take any and all opinions or facts

Thanks to all!!!

Here's the info about us:

When are you moving? Within the next 6 months
Where are you coming from? Warren NJ (NYC suburb)
Why are you moving? Relocation (I grew up in bucks county, so it's coming home for me)
Where will you be working? Trevose, Bridgewater NJ and CC phila
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent?
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Buying - 1M+
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married - 3 year old son
Do you prefer public or private schools? Very good public or private
Do you have pets? 1 small dog
Do you want or need a yard? yes
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? quiet, but close to nice shopping and restaurants

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Either

Coke or Pepsi? Coke!!!

Old 04-20-2016, 04:55 PM

710 posts, read 1,357,343 times
Nice area. The traffic is a nightmare !

Old 04-20-2016, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,668 times
Bryn Athyn is beautiful but very small. While I think there is an increased effort lately to welcome all, if you are not part of the church community, I think you will feel left out. There are some amazing and expensive homes that will fit your price range, but most BA homes are much smaller and less expensive. Little turnover because many families have lived there for generations or sell though the family and friends network. As noted, BA does not have its own public schools, and most attend the church school. Adjacent Lower Moreland has top notch schools and BA will send kids there if requested, but I think your less affluent tax-paying neighbors might resent that - with few residents, that would be a big tax hit. Not sure about busing but a lot of BA is probably considered walking distance to the LM schools (upper elementary & high school).

Lower Moreland and Upper Moreland have some equally nice areas, especially along the new rail trail/Pennypack Preserve, that offer a rural, natural setting only minutes from the city limits. The combination of location and open space can't be beat. Local traffic can be heavy, though. Local restaurants are limited, and shopping is mostly your big box/mall stores in Willow Grove or NE Philly. Easy commute via train into Philly.

Also, I understand BA does not deliver mail... you have to go to their (cute, small) post office. Part of the community charm, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or