U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 AM

633 posts, read 492,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_DELCO View Post
Darby is like a 10 minute drive south of Drexel Hill... and things do start to fall off a cliff.
yes, but it's obvious that you're leaving Drexel hill long before you hit darby, as I mentioned above. you're going through 3 or 4 VERY different municipalities in the process and one would think "This isn't Drexel hill" would occur.

I was thinking more along the lines of that poster mistaking the UD terminal area and the housing around it for "darby".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 04:20 PM

34 posts, read 58,684 times
I'm sorry, I should clarify my comments. I didn't realize Darby was an actual neighborhood. I was referring to Upper Darby as "Darby" the entire time. Once I got into Upper Darby from Drexel Hill, things sort of started going downhill before picking back up again.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:15 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,274,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikes View Post
I'm sorry, I should clarify my comments. I didn't realize Darby was an actual neighborhood. I was referring to Upper Darby as "Darby" the entire time. Once I got into Upper Darby from Drexel Hill, things sort of started going downhill before picking back up again.
Thanks for clarifying. Just curious to know where it started to "pick back up again" once you left Drexel Hill and drove through Upper Darby.....

Old 05-04-2016, 05:28 PM

I don't know the area well so its hard to tell where I was. Aronimink was pretty awesome. I went down state road for a while and turned left, crossed a huge street with run down shops with weird multi colored torn rags draped from them and then things got sort of bad. After ~6-8 blocks I went under a bridge and all of a sudden it looked like the Main Line. No clue where I was, will have to drive through again.

I assume the consensus is that Upper Darby isn't a good neighborhood. Outside of Aronimink what other parts of Drexel Hill are safe and where should I stay away from? I heard anything down State Road or close to it is pretty safe and most of the south is run down and I shouldn't go to. Crime Maps show the north side as pretty safe, which is weird cause thats what touches Upper Darby.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:21 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Drexel Hill is in Upper Darby township just to clarify it further. Many of the houses directly behind(ne)UD, Bonner and Prendergast HSs resemble what's in Drexel Hill btw.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:27 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
I don't know the area well so its hard to tell where I was. Aronimink was pretty awesome. I went down state road for a while and turned left, crossed a huge street with run down shops with weird multi colored torn rags draped from them and then things got sort of bad. After ~6-8 blocks I went under a bridge and all of a sudden it looked like the Main Line. No clue where I was, will have to drive through again.

I assume the consensus is that Upper Darby isn't a good neighborhood. Outside of Aronimink what other parts of Drexel Hill are safe and where should I stay away from? I heard anything down State Road or close to it is pretty safe and most of the south is run down and I shouldn't go to. Crime Maps show the north side as pretty safe, which is weird cause thats what touches Upper Darby.
Thoughtfully you are discussing this with people with experience instead of relying solely on crime maps. I lived in Upper Darby(post office address)for a long time during years when I had little money because it was cheap, and because it was cheap, I was able to save/invest money. I never had to deal with any crime during my time there.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 AM

633 posts, read 492,096 times
Quote:
I figured that was the case.

Quote:

If I had to take a guess, I'd say you took state road for a while, headed down a side street and hit west chester pike somewhere near the terminal (lots of shady shops down that way) then managed to end up near Llanerch, or the section bordering Havertown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Thoughtfully you are discussing this with people with experience instead of relying solely on crime maps. I lived in Upper Darby(post office address)for a long time during years when I had little money because it was cheap, and because it was cheap, I was able to save/invest money. I never had to deal with any crime during my time there.
I would agree with this. Grew up in that general area and spent a lot of time in and around upper darby. Still do, though nowhere near as often- still have friends and family there and hit up the tower for the occasional concert or comedy show.

The VAST majority of upper darby is perfectly fine in regards to crime. You are EXTREMELY unlikely to see or experience much of anything outside of rowdy neighbors or the occasional teen with an addiction problem (which is absolutely not a problem exclusive to upper darby right now).

The sole exception being the immediate area in and around the 69th street terminal. I would say a half mile, maybe 3/4 of a mile at the most. Stay the hell away from there, and you're golden.

edit: Also now that I reread your OP, if you're not concerned with terrible school systems there are some VERY nice houses in Lansdowne. For instance this 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom stone colonial for $227K.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale..._zm/?3col=true

This 6 bedroom 5 bath for $319K is even more ridiculous

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale..._zm/?3col=true

Stick those homes in a different school district, they would be worth a LOT more. There are also some slightly less nice but still cheap properties available in Aldan and Secane. I would take a drive through there as well if you're looking for low cost low crime properties. Taxes will be about the same.

Last edited by Burger Fan; 05-05-2016 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 07:17 PM

If you go on Zillow, it seems ridiculous the types of houses you can get in Drexel Hill for 250k. They would run 400k in any other halfway decent neighborhood within 30 mins of CC. I drove through again this week at a different time and still no crime to be seen or heard of, nice quiet residential neighborhood with kids walking around by themselves and joggers all over the place. I didn't even see anything I would classify as "shady" if I tried. Idk, I guess the property taxes + bad schools are really the "catch" here.

Any locations in Drexel Hill I should stay away from? Is the South actually bad? Is the area by the cemetery/high school fine?

Old 05-07-2016, 11:24 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,274,166 times
Quote:
If you go on Zillow, it seems ridiculous the types of houses you can get in Drexel Hill for 250k. They would run 400k in any other halfway decent neighborhood within 30 mins of CC. I drove through again this week at a different time and still no crime to be seen or heard of, nice quiet residential neighborhood with kids walking around by themselves and joggers all over the place. I didn't even see anything I would classify as "shady" if I tried. Idk, I guess the property taxes + bad schools are really the "catch" here.

Any locations in Drexel Hill I should stay away from? Is the South actually bad? Is the area by the cemetery/high school fine?
Didn't we go through this before...??? I think people answered all your questions above...

Anyway, I don't know where the "South" actually is that you're talking about, but my cousin has lived near Arlington Cemetery off School Lane near Lansdowne Ave., a couple blocks from the high school, for a million years and is fine. Beautiful neighborhood.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 PM

19 posts, read 52,124 times
I think the area the person is talking about in "SOUTH" Drexel Hill is the area south of Garrett Road the corner of Garrett Road and Burmont Road (near the 3 way border between south drexel hill, lansdowne, and clifton heights).

This area is in a huge decline.... as houses are very cheap and crime has increased... I lived here my whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or