U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM

23,169 posts, read 28,579,960 times

Advertisements

Look at Haddonfield.

There's a nice downtown. Easy access to I 295. The PATCO station gives easy access to get to 30th St station for Amtrak.

Excellent public schools & a Catholic parish with a grade school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:37 PM

881 posts, read 760,229 times
If you will be spending more time in one particular location than another, you should live closer to there. Don't know if you realistically know that, so just trying to centralize and pick the best compromise, I would say you should be looking in Delaware near Wilmington (though probably not in Wilmington itself, as much of it is pretty rough).

Old 05-02-2016, 11:50 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Referencing the post to consider Haddonfield NJ -- beautiful area, but New Jersey's property taxes are a whole 'nother discussion that needs to come into play if you are considering Jersey. I can't speak specifically for Haddonfield, but I've just heard the state's property taxes are high in general and that was the case when I lived at the Jersey shore.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM

23,169 posts, read 28,579,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Referencing the post to consider Haddonfield NJ -- beautiful area, but New Jersey's property taxes are a whole 'nother discussion that needs to come into play if you are considering Jersey. I can't speak specifically for Haddonfield, but I've just heard the state's property taxes are high in general and that was the case when I lived at the Jersey shore.
If the OP will be paying the Philadelphia wage tax for time spent working in Philadelphia, the wage tax is deductible on the NJ income tax.

There's a reason that so many of the professional sports players live in South Jersey.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:14 PM

28 posts, read 24,866 times
I hadn't really considered New Jersey because of the property taxes but most state governments need to pay for a similar bucket of services so higher taxes in one area might mean lower taxes in another (like state income taxes, sales taxes, gas tax, etc). Here is a quick comparison of 2010 taxes in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware, respectively.

Income Tax: 3.07%, 1.4-10.75%, 2.2-6.95%
Median Property Tax: 1.35%, 1.89%, 0.43%
Sales Tax: 6%, 7%, None
Gas Tax: 32.3C, 14.5C, 23.0C

As far as where I will be the two most frequent places are DC and Philly and DC being crazy expensive where I'm not even considering it. I can look further at Delaware and New Jersey but am not sure where to start.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:58 PM

28 posts, read 24,866 times
I was just told the position will require regular trips to Allentown, PA as well. I'm wondering if that changes any of the suggestions for locations to investigate. I might have the position ironed out soon and am not sure how much time I will have to decide on the actual move.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:17 PM

1,241 posts, read 798,194 times
With Allentown as your Northern most point and DC as your southern point, it looks to me like Delaware/Maryland is somewhat in between. The territory you're covering is too wide to commute by train and travelling by car would be the most efficient way. And of the towns you've mentioned, probably only DC has the better public transit system or should I say it's the least car friendly city.

If I were you, I'd first identify a couple of schools in the area (DE/PA/MD) you're covering and then look for a house. That's because, most people buy a home after first identifying a school district of their liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender2007 View Post
I was just told the position will require regular trips to Allentown, PA as well. I'm wondering if that changes any of the suggestions for locations to investigate. I might have the position ironed out soon and am not sure how much time I will have to decide on the actual move.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:02 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender2007 View Post
I have been approached about a potential move for work. The role would take me to DC, Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia and Southern NJ and from what I've read the Philadelphia region seems like a good fit. I will be working from home and would need to reside within or near that area so that really opens up my search so I need some help narrowing it down, see answers below.

When are you moving? This is flexible
Where are you coming from? Indianapolis, IN area
Why are you moving?Work
Where will you be working?From home but between DC and Philly essentially, access to highways and trains would be a plus but not a necessity
Have you been here yet? No, working on a recon trip

Will you buy or rent?Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? HouseHow much can you spend? Ideally less than $500K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? No, but it seems Philly would allow better travel to DC
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? MarriedDo you have children? Yes
Do you prefer public or private schools? I'd like to send the kids to catholic schools if it is affordable, otherwise would like to join a good parish
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard?Want, would prefer a fenced in yard or area for kids to play, near parks, jogging and biking trails a plus
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? With a family quiet is good but a somewhat walkable area would be nice.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations
Also parks, trails,

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? No preference, good neighbors are a plus and being able to walk around the neighborhood is also a plus

Coke or Pepsi? Neither
With your last post in mind about having to also get to Allentown, I'm going to suggest Lansdale. It has a train station, so easy access to Philly and onto DC. It's also close enough to the turnpike to get to Allentown, or from route 309 as a straight shot alternative. You will get much more bang for your buck up this way and ALL of the amenities that you've asked for are available, including Catholic schools, although the public schools are excellent. Getting to DC by car is also easy via the turnpike.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 AM

48 posts, read 83,897 times
Bender2007,
Be sure to put Springfield, Delaware County, on your list of possible towns, especially if you are considering Havertown, Drexel Hill, Media and other Delco towns. Browse on Google Stroll and see what I mean. Springfield is right next to I476 (locally known as the "Blue Route) which is easy access to I95. Also, if you live in the southern part of Springfield, you are just a few miles from a commuter train line that takes you to 30th St. station. Springfield is stable middle class and upper middle class with its own moderate sized school district.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:11 PM

13,348 posts, read 18,627,137 times
Not super-familiar with the Philadelphia area, but I'd imagine that somewhere near I-476 would be ideal for commuting. To get to Allentown, just take I-476 north. To get to Wilmington, Baltimore and Washington DC, just take I-476 south to I-95 south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or