U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:23 PM

883 posts, read 530,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
The 45min to an hour I posted had to do with Conshohocken and Manayunk, not Ardmore. FWIW, Google Maps quotes typical 30-50min drive from Ardmore to PHL (using either 76 or 476/95) during rush hour.

Well, sure, during rush hour anything is going to be heinous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Well, sure, during rush hour anything is going to be heinous.
Although OP didn't elaborate, I'm assuming that commute to the airport is important due to work so if they work in/around the airport, they may very well be traveling during rush hour.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 PM

73 posts, read 90,500 times
As far as priorities go: I'd be traveling for work, anywhere from 0-4 times per month. So as much as I'd love for my living situation to be less than 30/45 mins to the airport, I think the priority at least in the beginning would be a great place to live. If I have a longer drive to travel for work, so be it...

Old 04-27-2016, 11:25 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Quote:
Don't move to Conshohocken, it's way too far from the airport. 45min is on a GOOD day and good days are few and far between when I76 is involved. My friend commuted from Manayunk to the airport and it would frequently take her upwards of an hour or more, and Conshohocken is further than Manayunk. It's just not a good location for where you need to be.

Ardmore could work though it's a little more "grown up" and family oriented... but there are still a bunch of bars, restaurants, downtown area, etc. It's also still about 35-45min drive to the airport.

I think you'd be better off in South or West Philly. Passyunk in South Philly would definitely fit for what you're looking for and it's about a 15-20min drive to the airport depending on traffic.
Just to be clear for the OP, the route from Conshocken to PHL is not 76, it's 476 and 95. It's 23.9 miles and 27 mins. so I'd guess that 45 mins. is quite do-able in rush hour. The commute from Manayunk to the airport has nothing to do with Conshohocken. Ardmore is a little more convoluted getting to the main highways to the airport.

As for both Manayunk AND South Philly, the OP said parking was a priority, if you recall.

OP, you will find people your own age in the towns of Conshohocken and Ardmore, etc., you will not have to travel into center city by any means, though you will be close enough to get there when you want to.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:26 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander_x View Post
As far as priorities go: I'd be traveling for work, anywhere from 0-4 times per month. So as much as I'd love for my living situation to be less than 30/45 mins to the airport, I think the priority at least in the beginning would be a great place to live. If I have a longer drive to travel for work, so be it...
Yeah that kind of changes everything since it doesn't matter how close you are to the airport, guess you should've clarified that.

Based on your need for parking, I wouldn't suggest Manayunk but if you are ok with a paid spot (I pay $65 per month) then it's a good contender and a lot more vibrant than Conshy and Ardmore. Wissahickon has some great hiking and is on the east end of Manayunk so while it doesn't have its own downtown area, it's one stop away from Manayunk so an easy train/bus/walk. East Falls is the next stop east and has a little more in the way of a downtown area than Wiss but still keeps that green space you're looking for.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Don't move to Conshohocken, it's way too far from the airport. 45min is on a GOOD day and good days are few and far between when I76 is involved. My friend commuted from Manayunk to the airport and it would frequently take her upwards of an hour or more, and Conshohocken is further than Manayunk. It's just not a good location for where you need to be.

Ardmore could work though it's a little more "grown up" and family oriented... but there are still a bunch of bars, restaurants, downtown area, etc. It's also still about 35-45min drive to the airport.

I think you'd be better off in South or West Philly. Passyunk in South Philly would definitely fit for what you're looking for and it's about a 15-20min drive to the airport depending on traffic.
Yep, agreed. The OP will likely be bored in Ardmore even though it's close to Haverford and Bryn Mawr Colleges and Villanova U. Although being 20something, he/she may not want to mix with them.

Also living in W. Philly(university city) will allow the OP to get to the airport by train at least part of the time.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:29 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Thank you so far! Not familiar with Wegman's. The TJ's criteria is more of a "wish list", not necessarily required. It seems there aren't as many as there are in CA.

In areas like Conshohocken and Ardmore, would you say there are plenty of twenty something young professionals to meet within those towns (coffee shops, festivals, gym, young church), or would it be commuting into Center City/Manayunk for meeting friends my age?
Wegman's is kinda like Gelson's which I'm guessing you are familiar with.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times
Quote:
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
I want to be close to bustling activity and am used to living in a vibrant area in LA, but I prefer calm and quiet. I'm outdoorsy (not urban) and like to go hiking or for long walks around the neighborhood without safety concerns. I haven't had this luxury in Los Angeles, and miss living in an outwardly safe and neighborhood-y area. That said, I also don't want to be bored.
None of the would be suggested go to inner city neighborhoods would have safety concerns. I would suggest university city around baltimore ave. Great park with a lot of tree lined streets. Otherwise keeping a car and and needing to be under $1k make it difficult. In the city you'll rarely need a car. Normally you'll walk to most places. Otherwise take / share a cab or train etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or