U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,286 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

I am a 24 year old female relocating to Philadelphia from DC. I am planning on moving sometime next month (june 2016) and I am currently looking at an apartment in the Penn-Knox area of Germantown. On the surface this area seems very similar to my current neighborhood (Takoma in NW DC). However, I have gotten very mixed reviews about Germantown's safety. I am so far from the average 24 year old. I have no desire to frequent bars or clubs. I am just looking for a quiet neighborhood with good access to public transportation and a decent grocery store within walking distance.

Do you all think that Germantown is that place or should I be looking somewhere else?

BTW: I am looking for a 1br apartment in the $800 range but I am willing to spend a max of $1,000 for the right place.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 12:25 PM

883 posts, read 530,206 times
Copy/paste the questions in the attached thread here and answer the questions. The forum will be better able to answer you then.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...formation.html

Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shynina View Post
Greetings everyone,

I am a 24 year old female relocating to Philadelphia from DC. I am planning on moving sometime next month (june 2016) and I am currently looking at an apartment in the Penn-Knox area of Germantown. On the surface this area seems very similar to my current neighborhood (Takoma in NW DC). However, I have gotten very mixed reviews about Germantown's safety. I am so far from the average 24 year old. I have no desire to frequent bars or clubs. I am just looking for a quiet neighborhood with good access to public transportation and a decent grocery store within walking distance.

Do you all think that Germantown is that place or should I be looking somewhere else?

BTW: I am looking for a 1br apartment in the $800 range but I am willing to spend a max of $1,000 for the right place.

Thanks in advance!!!
I went to Google Maps, centered the display on the Penn-Knox neighborhood, then typed "grocery store" in the search bar. When you click on the stores that are shown within a 5 or so block radius you see that they're all corner stores/bodegas. Not where you'd want to buy on a regular basis. And it's a bit of a hike to the Queen Lane or the semi-sketchy Chelten stations on SEPTA's Chestnut Hill West line (and a longer walk to the Chestnut Hill East's even sketchier Wister station.

Put it this way: I have a 24 year-old daughter and if she asked me to scope out that neighborhood (and if she were car-less, relying on feet & SEPTA), I'd have concerns. I'd move a bit farther out, toward East/West Mt Airy or maybe even East Falls.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
My wife and I are similar to you in terms of being young and not wanting to pay a lot of money to live somewhere that basically just has bars and restaurants. We lived in Germantown for a couple years. I liked it just fine.

Germantown is a big neighborhood, and also a big mixed bag.

The two nicest parts are the area around the Tulpehocken Historic District as well as Penn Knox. They also basically border each other (one being north of Chelten, the other south of Chelten). I lived in the Tulpehocken part. Your price range could easily put you into either one with something decent.

The blocks immediately around Chelten Avenue station is not sketchy at all. The train station itself is old and sometimes bums hang out in it. Queen Lane, Chelten Avenue, and Tulpehocken stations have an extremely diverse ridership which reflects the area pretty well - black folks, white folks, people in blue collar uniforms, people in suits, and usually plenty of old folks too.

I used to walk to Germantown Station on the Chestnut Hill East line in the wee morning, pre-dawn. I never had a problem. My wife didn't like walking there alone though and would rely on the Chestnut Hill West stations if by herself. Germantown would be your closest train station on the Chestnut Hill East by the way, almost definitely not Wister. And even if it was Wister, Germantown would be a better walk staying on the main streets rather than going through some of the rougher blocks.

Bus service is also excellent. The 23 runs down Germantown Avenue 24 hours per day. The H and XH run down Greene Street. The 53 runs down Wayne Avenue. They all feed into the Broad Street Line at Broad and Erie (if you don't mind waiting for the bus at Broad and Erie, which my wife and I never did). Basically you walk up the stairs at Erie and take whatever comes first. I used to prefer and H and XH. Could do center city to Germantown in 30 minutes flat during rush hour. Closer to 45 minutes otherwise. Chelten Avenue has a bunch of buses that go various places too - crosstowns to NE Philly mostly.

One of the best produce stores in the city, A & N House of Produce, is at Greene Street and Harvey in the Tulpehocken District. The Save a Lot and Pulaski and Chelten is among the better big box stores in Philly in my opinion. It's owned by the same guy that owns Fresh Grocer - so they sold regular grocery store meat and produce, but also had all kinds of cheap boxed and processed food and snacks. Open 24/7. The Pathmark at Wayne and Chelten was really pretty bad in my opinion, and is currently closed while it waits to be turned into a Thriftway.

Chelten Avenue and Germantown Avenue are full of junk stores and things like pawn shops and mattress stores. There's a big regional library at Greene and Chelten. I would have liked some more interesting things. But I also don't really shop so it didn't bother me that much that there was a bodega I never went to as opposed to some high end consignment store I never went to. There are a few decent dollar stores, a hardware store, Rite Aid and Walgreens, a renovated Vernon Park, really close access to the Wissahickon Valley Park. An old school fabric store, a piano factory, and a really good thrift store are some things that makes Germantown Avenue an interesting place, even though it's underutilized.

The Germantown and Chelten intersection can get extremely busy mid day with the urban element for lack of a better word. It also closes down pretty early and is empty and creepy at night. There also must be a methadone clinic somewhere pretty nearby that intersection it seems, which is also just part of life in Philadelphia.

There's another poster on here who lives more in this general area of Germantown, perhaps she can offer more specifics.

For what it's worth your money could also get you something in Mount Airy - which is more of a middle class neighborhood. I'm currently in East Mount Airy not far off of Germantown Avenue. I think that life was slightly better without a car in Germantown, there were more amenities I made use of close by (like cheap quality groceries), and public transit was a bit better (and a bit shorter). But it is probably a little nicer and more peaceful up here.

Feel free to ask or PM with any questions.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:38 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,124,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The two nicest parts are the area around the Tulpehocken Historic District as well as Penn Knox. They also basically border each other (one being north of Chelten, the other south of Chelten). I lived in the Tulpehocken part. Your price range could easily put you into either one with something decent.
I think I'm confused about where Penn-Knox is. I looked at Google Maps and found the intersection of Penn and Knox Streets - not a bad approach to locating it, I'd say :-)
What would you say are the streets that define the borders of the neighborhood? Maybe my comments were misplaced, literally.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:44 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Penn-Knox is a pretty small "neighborhood" in Germantown-the box between Wayne and Germantown/School House to the North and South to Hansberry-but maybe only Queen Lane. The homes there are mostly well-kept (and historic!) and it is diverse and pretty safe, but the apartment buildings near there don't seem as "nice" as others in your price range. Different story if you are renting in a house, but I would look at some of the apartment buildings along Wissahickon/Chelten- in that area.

I live near Queen Lane station and love it, but it's not for everyone. I have always felt safe, but I am on a great block with neighbors that look out for each other and communicate. There are definitely blocks like that in "Penn-Knox"-so if you renting in a house, get a feel for the block. As said above, beside Germantown you may also want to look into Mount Airy and East Falls-all three have great access to the Wissahickon Park, and pretty good PT.

Living in Germantown you may find yourself shopping at Weavers Way (in West Mount Airy) and A&N House of Produce (on Greene St near the "Tulpehocken" neighborhood). I also go to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods downtown, but I have a car. Hopefully the old "Path Mark" on Chelten will be a major improvement, but as mentioned Save A Lot 24/7 does the trick for some things (I recently found that the same Cranberry Juice I would sometimes buy at Whole Foods for $5+ is $3 at Save A Lot right down the street).

Old 04-29-2016, 04:28 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I think I'm confused about where Penn-Knox is. I looked at Google Maps and found the intersection of Penn and Knox Streets - not a bad approach to locating it, I'd say :-)
What would you say are the streets that define the borders of the neighborhood? Maybe my comments were misplaced, literally.
No, you're pretty much right, see 2e1m5a above. It's a small part of Germantown, but has a better reputation than Germantown as a whole. I used to like going for walks down there - and I think there's more to that general area than meets the eye. It really depends on what your experience and expectations are, I guess.

Last edited by FamousBlueRaincoat; 04-29-2016 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,286 times
Thank you to everyone for your thorough replies!

I am actually looking to rent a the upper level of a really beautiful Victorian on Knox street. Does anyone know anything about the "vibe" of that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia