U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 07:35 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Absurd.

Perhaps you and your friends and other Phillies do prefer that method but I'm trying to indoctronize you to a more sophisticated way of life. Filling up your gaz guzzler, stuffing your fat face with Wawa meatball sandwiches, and drinking a case of budweiser in a godforsakenly hollow parking lot is pathetic and outdated.

Its much better to jump on the train , enjoy the city, watch your ball game/entertainment event, grab a drink, jump back on the train to home.

Try visiting Center Citys restaurants and bars its in a different stratosphere than Broad + Pattisons emptiness.

Steinish does spend time in CC. Lol. He probably spends more time there than you do.

Look, all he's saying is that many of kinds of people you want at CPB aren't the kinds of people who actually go to those games. The people who go to Chickie and Pete's are more like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 AM

29,310 posts, read 27,523,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Perhaps you and your friends and other Phillies do prefer that method but I'm trying to indoctronize you to a more sophisticated way of life. Filling up your gaz guzzler, stuffing your fat face with Wawa meatball sandwiches, and drinking a case of budweiser in a godforsakenly hollow parking lot is pathetic and outdated.
If that's the perception you have of many Phillies fans, then why would you want them anywhere near sophisticated Center City? It's not like being in a downtown ballpark is going to make them put the hoagies and Budweiser down. Unless you think being downtown will attract more sophisticated fans and repel those you consider to be less refined.

I would like to see premium land in central cities devoted to housing as opposed to the construction of baseball stadiums. Does anyone think, for example, that Manhattan would be better off with the new Jets stadium on the West Side as opposed to the multi-billion dollar development slated for that site?

I understand that people visit Fenway and ask "Why can't we have that?" but Fenway has occupied its present location for nearly a century. Fenway's present location was marshland in the early 20th Century and the stadium was constructed at a time when much of the neighborhood was still developing. Forcing a stadium into Center City would sort of be the opposite of that.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:24 AM

I'm more of a fan of putting basketball arenas in downtowns. They are more compact than baseball stadiums and therefore easier to integrate into the existing urban fabric. And they provide year-round pedestrian vibrancy unlike baseball stadiums, which typically sit empty during the coldest months of the year.

And this just may be my bias, but I feel like NBA games are the most kid/family friendly of the Big Four sports. I'd rather be around a whole bunch of little kids with their Sixers jerseys dragging along the floor than a bunch of boozed-up bozos dropping F-bombs every other word.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:36 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If that's the perception you have of many Phillies fans, then why would you want them anywhere near sophisticated Center City? It's not like being in a downtown ballpark is going to make them put the hoagies and Budweiser down. Unless you think being downtown will attract more sophisticated fans and repel those you consider to be less refined.

I would like to see premium land in central cities devoted to housing as opposed to the construction of baseball stadiums. Does anyone think, for example, that Manhattan would be better off with the new Jets stadium on the West Side as opposed to the multi-billion dollar development slated for that site?

I understand that people visit Fenway and ask "Why can't we have that?" but Fenway has occupied its present location for nearly a century. Fenway's present location was marshland in the early 20th Century and the stadium was constructed at a time when much of the neighborhood was still developing. Forcing a stadium into Center City would sort of be the opposite of that.
Likewise does anyone see any logic in having Madison Sq Garden remain in midtown Manhattan? Thank God it has to move.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:49 AM

3,521 posts, read 3,159,758 times
Quote:
I'm more of a fan of putting basketball arenas in downtowns. They are more compact than baseball stadiums and therefore easier to integrate into the existing urban fabric. And they provide year-round pedestrian vibrancy unlike baseball stadiums, which typically sit empty during the coldest months of the year.

And this just may be my bias, but I feel like NBA games are the most kid/family friendly of the Big Four sports. I'd rather be around a whole bunch of little kids with their Sixers jerseys dragging along the floor than a bunch of boozed-up bozos dropping F-bombs every other word.
Good points above. But eh, I'll argue that baseball is by far the most "family friendly" sport out of the Big 4 for a live game. Basketball games tend to play a lot of hip hop music, edited of course, but still a bit much for more conservative types to have their children hear "Panda" and "2 Phones". Baseball plays like a 10 second clip for the batter--and those are often merengue/salsa/classic rock songs. The music isn't continuous like it is for most NBA games. Basketball arenas are also, as you said, more compact than baseball stadiums, so it's a lot easier to hear F-bombs and see negative things. The NBA is also a lot "edgier" in attitude than MLB. Tattoos are standard in the NBA, while they're still less visible in MLB--tattooed players stand out far more in baseball, due to demographics, culture, uniform standards and the uniform in general. MLB also has the 7th inning stretch, which is about as old timey and kid friendly as it gets. If I had to rank the Big 4 in terms of family friendliness, I'd go MLB>NBA>NHL>NFL, though all try their best to be family friendly.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Good points above. But eh, I'll argue that baseball is by far the most "family friendly" sport out of the Big 4 for a live game. Basketball games tend to play a lot of hip hop music, edited of course, but still a bit much for more conservative types to have their children hear "Panda" and "2 Phones". Baseball plays like a 10 second clip for the batter--and those are often merengue/salsa/classic rock songs. The music isn't continuous like it is for most NBA games. Basketball arenas are also, as you said, more compact than baseball stadiums, so it's a lot easier to hear F-bombs and see negative things. The NBA is also a lot "edgier" in attitude than MLB. Tattoos are standard in the NBA, while they're still less visible in MLB--tattooed players stand out far more in baseball, due to demographics, culture, uniform standards and the uniform in general. MLB also has the 7th inning stretch, which is about as old timey and kid friendly as it gets. If I had to rank the Big 4 in terms of family friendliness, I'd go MLB>NBA>NHL>NFL, though all try their best to be family friendly.
Yeah, I don't think there's a big difference between the NBA and MLB there. It seems to me, though, that there's less alcohol at NBA games, and therefore less boorish behavior. It also seems that the NBA aggressively markets the game to young kids (especially now that the NBA is partnered with the Disney Company). And I like some of the things like the Kiss Cam and the dancers during timeouts.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:08 AM

"Success is just failure that hasn't happened yet."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvjWCAa7kO0

Old 05-05-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Baseball plays like a 10 second clip for the batter--and those are often merengue/salsa/classic rock songs. The music isn't continuous like it is for most NBA games.
Is this more of a reflection of the fact that the median age of an American baseball fan is around 55? MLB is the second least popular sport among 12-24 year olds.

MLS catches MLB in popularity with kids, says ESPN poll - ESPN FC

Old 05-10-2016, 06:58 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:

The Jets don't play baseball. Pnc park is a great stadium and has only been there a decade. Cities are meant for diverse groups not just people who smell their own farts

Old 05-10-2016, 07:16 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Quote:
Is this more of a reflection of the fact that the median age of an American baseball fan is around 55? MLB is the second least popular sport among 12-24 year olds.

MLS catches MLB in popularity with kids, says ESPN poll - ESPN FC
No, it's been that way as long as I can remember. Maybe kids don't like sports without continuous music. More likely it's the pace of the game. Perhaps the changes that resulted in lower scoring back in the 70s haven been for the better. It should be noted that baseball is american, soccer is a world sport. Soccer really isn't high scoring either so perhaps that's not it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or