U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:09 PM

1,685 posts, read 2,131,853 times

Advertisements

What if the Phillies ballpark had been built in Center City?

There were several Center City ballpark proposals before it was decided that the Phillies staying at the sports complex was the easiest option. Before they built CBP I was hoping for a Phillies' Center City venue. Out of all the options laid out in this story, including the sports complex, what would have been your preference to replace the Vet as the Phillies' new home?

I like the Broad & Spring Garden and the University City options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 05:08 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
ucity

Old 04-28-2016, 06:47 PM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
I actually think the current location is the best one. People may disagree, but I think it would be a massive out of place hulk structure in the middle of a small city grid. Basically like the Convention Center. I like the idea of have a sports complex together away from the city core.

As soon as Penn got word of the U City possibility, they swooped right in to buy up all that land, ending that idea.

Also,

I think the Philadelphia Union may have been better to locate on the Delaware River near Center City rather than Chester, because it is smaller and would have less congestion, instead of the failed Chester location.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
they bought the land afterward. if you are familiar with that area you will know that it is not a small city grid there. I got to ride amtraks fall foliage train across the high line which is when I grasped the magnitude of philadelphias failure. the views are absolutely breath taking and exactly what you'd see from the stands. penn park is a waste of space and penn did a great disservice to the city by killing thay idea. the current location is garbage. nothing but parking and not so great views. it's also poorly accessible by transit. far too many people defend this failure as somehow being a desirable outcome. it's a civic embarrassment borne of municipal incompetence

Old 04-28-2016, 08:39 PM

1,243 posts, read 799,046 times
I'm yet to attend a Phillies game but I would prefer to drive to the game than be forced to take the train because of lack of parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I actually think the current location is the best one. People may disagree, but I think it would be a massive out of place hulk structure in the middle of a small city grid. Basically like the Convention Center. I like the idea of have a sports complex together away from the city core.

As soon as Penn got word of the U City possibility, they swooped right in to buy up all that land, ending that idea.

Also,

I think the Philadelphia Union may have been better to locate on the Delaware River near Center City rather than Chester, because it is smaller and would have less congestion, instead of the failed Chester location.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:38 PM

283 posts, read 366,892 times
The Phillies stadium where it currently is is a good compromise of interests. A lot of suburban people want to drive to the game and tailgate, which isn't really an option in a Center City park. On South Broad it's accessible to the BSL, and highways into both South Jersey and the PA suburbs. I'm happy with them there.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:19 AM

743 posts, read 637,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I'm yet to attend a Phillies game but I would prefer to drive to the game than be forced to take the train because of lack of parking.
I agree. I like the fact I can drive right down I-95, park my car, have a few beers in the parking lot while girl watching, then walk over to the stadium without being accosted by drug-addicted bums.

Unless there was ample parking in a Center City location, I would have hated to take public transportation and have to pay $5 for a beer in a crowded bar before the game. Actually, I wouldn't do any of that at all. The current location is the most practical.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:22 AM

743 posts, read 637,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
they bought the land afterward. if you are familiar with that area you will know that it is not a small city grid there. I got to ride amtraks fall foliage train across the high line which is when I grasped the magnitude of philadelphias failure. the views are absolutely breath taking and exactly what you'd see from the stands. penn park is a waste of space and penn did a great disservice to the city by killing thay idea. the current location is garbage. nothing but parking and not so great views. it's also poorly accessible by transit. far too many people defend this failure as somehow being a desirable outcome. it's a civic embarrassment borne of municipal incompetence
No. I used to take the BSL to games when I was a kid, it drops you off right next to the stadium. What's the problem?

Old 04-29-2016, 03:26 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
No. I used to take the BSL to games when I was a kid, it drops you off right next to the stadium. What's the problem?
As a regular public transit user and not a regular sports-guy, I don't necessarily mind that the stadiums are in a car-centric part of the city. It can be a little annoying to get on a train after work and have it be crowded with drunk sports fans.

And a lot of stadiums try to make up for completely dead areas of the city with a sports stadium and fail at that.

Yet it doesn't have to be that way. See New York, Chicago, Boston, some of the Twin Cities stadiums.

The way the current set up is, it's pretty bad. Depending on what stadium you're going to, it's 3-5 blocks through a parking lot wasteland, as bad as anything any car-centric suburb has to offer. The few times I've been there I've left wondering how a transit-connected sports complex could be done any worse, with any less regard for the idea someone might actually use this amazing rail access to attend the event.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 AM

3,521 posts, read 3,159,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
As a regular public transit user and not a regular sports-guy, I don't necessarily mind that the stadiums are in a car-centric part of the city. It can be a little annoying to get on a train after work and have it be crowded with drunk sports fans.

And a lot of stadiums try to make up for completely dead areas of the city with a sports stadium and fail at that.

Yet it doesn't have to be that way. See New York, Chicago, Boston, some of the Twin Cities stadiums.

The way the current set up is, it's pretty bad. Depending on what stadium you're going to, it's 3-5 blocks through a parking lot wasteland, as bad as anything any car-centric suburb has to offer. The few times I've been there I've left wondering how a transit-connected sports complex could be done any worse, with any less regard for the idea someone might actually use this amazing rail access to attend the event.
As others have commented, I think their location is a great compromise. I've both driven to a game from here in Delaware and parked, as well as used the BSL from Center City. Using the train, it's not really a bad walk from the AT&T Station to the complex. For one, it's still a crowded walk, and there are plenty of vendors on the way, so it's not like you're doing some isolated, desolate walk through that "parking wasteland". And two, you get to pass by the neat statues and get hit with the enormity of the stadiums all right in front of you and to your right. Combine that with skyline views on your left, and it's not a bad walk at all. It's easily connected to 95/76, has abundant (though pricey) parking for tailgating, and is connected to the rest of the city by train. Not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or