Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:35 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times

Advertisements

This is my personal opinion but i feel too much is focused on these Standardized exams. IN Minnesota, they are called Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments (MCAS). Teachers are so focused on kids passing these tests and thats not what i want. I want my child to have a well rounded education. I want them to learn Science and History. Schools dumb down their teaching habits just so students can pass these exams. Will i encounter the same issues w/ the Lower Merion school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 03:22 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
You won't find teaching to the test per se in most of our suburban school districts because they don't need to. There will be some lost time when they teach strategies for test taking. There is also starting to be some push back down the line from Administrators, School board members to teachers and parents that are tired of so many standardized tests.

The best teachers can teach well, no matter what parameters they are given and Lower Merion has an excellent reputation for very good teachers. They will be locked into teaching a specific curriculum and there's not much that can be done about that as long as a school needs the state funds.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:40 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
Schooling in the US, in general, is much more focused on schools making the grade rather than teaching the students, especially if they are struggling in class. There is so much pressure on teachers than on students to do well. For this reason, the schooling is almost like conveyor belt system for many of the students.

Now having moved from elsewhere to a very good school district (not LM) in the area, I am surprised at how much testing is done. My eldest son seems to have a test/exam almost every other day. A week can't go by without receiving an email of his grades/test scores. The other day, I asked him about it, because I felt like he was taking too many exams, although he's a A student.

I've thought of taking my kids to private schools but I opted out for other reasons. While you gain on the teaching,Plus I want to expose my kids to the real world.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Schooling in the US, in general, is much more focused on schools making the grade rather than teaching the students, especially if they are struggling in class. There is so much pressure on teachers than on students to do well. For this reason, the schooling is almost like conveyor belt system for many of the students.

Now having moved from elsewhere to a very good school district (not LM) in the area, I am surprised at how much testing is done. My eldest son seems to have a test/exam almost every other day. A week can't go by without receiving an email of his grades/test scores. The other day, I asked him about it, because I felt like he was taking too many exams, although he's a A student.

I've thought of taking my kids to private schools but I opted out for other reasons. While you gain on the teaching,Plus I want to expose my kids to the real world.
this is exactly why i want to send my kids to private school. Reading and math are important sure. But what about that future doctor? I want a school that focuses on STEM as well. Just a WELL ROUNDED EDUCATION. Like i said, i just feel that there's no accountability. Schools just passing students to the next grade who clearly aren't ready. I just want a school that is safe, where the students and parents are accountable, excels in athletics and academics

Old 04-29-2016, 11:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
this is exactly why i want to send my kids to private school. Reading and math are important sure. But what about that future doctor? I want a school that focuses on STEM as well. Just a WELL ROUNDED EDUCATION. Like i said, i just feel that there's no accountability. Schools just passing students to the next grade who clearly aren't ready. I just want a school that is safe, where the students and parents are accountable, excels in athletics and academics
Perhaps a parent of a student in LM schools will respond but if I were in your shoes, I would consider putting them in the very good LM schools and get involved as a parent. If it doesn't work out, then you could consider private. You can't get out of your high school tax so why not get your moneys worth? My kids all went through a well regarded public school and were well prepared for college. All three told me after they got in college that they were surprised at how well prepared they were compared to some of their peers.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:50 PM

I've always wanted to send my kids to private school and I looked a lot into private schools in the area and also spoke to a couple of parents plus colleagues who went through the private schools. With private schools, you give up on the non-teaching (extra-curricular and social) aspects. If your kids are doing well in school plus you are good at keeping a tab on them at home, I think a good public school will suffice. If they need an extra boost in academics, then I'd recommend private schooling.

My goal for sending my kids to private school was to give them a leg up in life. But I figured out since they are at the top of their class, I want them to also be involved in other stuff which is available in public schools. Plus I don't want them to grow up thinking they are privileged or daddy will provide everything. I grew up very independent and I also want my kids to not need me or need me less as they grow up.

One thing that I found out is that there is a lot of keeping up with the joneses when it come to sending kids to private school. When one person in the neighborhood or at work enrolls their kid to private school, the rest follow blindly. For me I'll do it if it makes sense and depending on the circumstances.

Quote:

Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Hot off the press, how socioeconomic status and race affects the academics.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ares.html?_r=0

Old 04-29-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I've always wanted to send my kids to private school and I looked a lot into private schools in the area and also spoke to a couple of parents plus colleagues who went through the private schools. With private schools, you give up on the non-teaching (extra-curricular and social) aspects. If your kids are doing well in school plus you are good at keeping a tab on them at home, I think a good public school will suffice. If they need an extra boost in academics, then I'd recommend private schooling.

My goal for sending my kids to private school was to give them a leg up in life. But I figured out since they are at the top of their class, I want them to also be involved in other stuff which is available in public schools. Plus I don't want them to grow up thinking they are privileged or daddy will provide everything. I grew up very independent and I also want my kids to not need me or need me less as they grow up.

One thing that I found out is that there is a lot of keeping up with the joneses when it come to sending kids to private school. When one person in the neighborhood or at work enrolls their kid to private school, the rest follow blindly. For me I'll do it if it makes sense and depending on the circumstances.

but im sure there are plenty of private schools that have extra curricular activities.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Hot off the press, how socioeconomic status and race affects the academics.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ares.html?_r=0

And this is the message that I dont wanna send. A child shouldn't have to attend a predominately White school with both parents in the home. Or only the wealthier areas have the best school districts. This is the message i dont want to send.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:44 PM

No use the fighting the reality. What's more, private schools are less diverse. That's another issue that I have with private schools.

I went to an gifted program private high school and for many of my former class mates I don't think it made any difference. Some are even taxi drivers, fast food chefs, hustlers, etc. And these were all A students. It's the same thing with attending Ivy league colleges, there are no guarantees.

Quote:
And this is the message that I dont wanna send. A child shouldn't have to attend a predominately White school with both parents in the home. Or only the wealthier areas have the best school districts. This is the message i dont want to send.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: