Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 23,223 times

Advertisements

I'm probably going to be attending Arcadia University this fall (450, S. Easton Road) -- I've read that Glenside is about 1/2 an hour away from center city philly.

How is it? Is Glenside walker/cycler friendly? Are there nice thrift shops? Are there interesting clothing and music stores? Has anyone been to the Glenside Free Library? Is it nice?

Is the city easily accessible from Glenside? (I.e, train -- How long does it take, is it safe? Can you get a year/6 month subway pass or something? How much does it cost?)

We're going to visit this summer, but I'm trying to figure out if its what I'm looking for.

What is there to do? (Note that I am 17, F, I'm not allowed to/have no desire to drink for fun)

I'll probably ask more once I get some responses. Basically I want to know... lots. I currently live with my parents/attend a university in a small Illinois town... any city-person advice on safety/travel/whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Edit -- I'll be living on campus, so housing isn't a problem unless I decide to stay after I graduate.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-19-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 05:06 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,558,929 times
Glenside is a nice suburb of Philly and Arcadia is an excellent school. I can't answer any questions about Glenside directly as far a shopping, but there is a train station there and the ride into center city Philly is about 1/2 hour (and very safe). If you google glenside, pa, you will find information.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:59 PM

96 posts, read 581,752 times
Glenside is pretty nice however it has some issues. I was originally from the Elkins Park area. All the real estate in that area is unreasonably expensive and for no good reason, and the taxes are on the high side... you can find a cheap small rental though in the right areas. Otherwise it's a nice low crime area, short ride to philly, and plenty of things to do. There will occasionally be some strange things that happen in the area. about 3 years back, over a 3 month period they found 3 decapitated bodies in the dumpsters of local businesses. probably a "body dump" from philly, but there are some shocking events like that that get people worked up.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:23 PM

46 posts, read 214,161 times
I lioved in Glenside for about 6 years. Decent area. Mostly middle to lower middle class families. The train station is a about a mile from Arcadia. There is a theatre in Glenside called the Keswick Theatre which hosts quite a few concerts and comedy acts but mostly acts from the 70's. There is little shopping other than on Cheltenham Ave which is very close to Arcadia but be sure to travel with someone as the area can be dicey. Good luck with school. It's a good one

Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 PM

10 posts, read 82,200 times
glenside is a good family community. lot's of events and their chamber of commerce takes great pride, lots of civic pride and good celebrations on holidays. great parks and two swim clubs. a library, a train station in the center of town. many restaurants - although not 4 star. keswick theatre which hosts more than just 70's acts. there might not be manjor department stores, but there is enough shopping for everything you would need - plenty of thrfit stores on glenside avenue - hardware -state store - 7/11 - pharmacy, etc. around the keswick, even other stores. a short distance up 611 is the willow grove mall, so you wouldn't be at a loss for shopping. churches of all denominations are also in glenside.

wow, i don't remember the decapitated bodies. i must have slept through that news report.

aracadia is a wonderful campus, safe and secure.

i think glenside is a sweet little community. i don't live too far from there. i do agree that housing prices are outrageous, but heck, they are outrageous no matter where you go.

good luck with your school endeavors and your relocation.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 22,838 times
"Has anyone been to the Glenside Free Library? Is it nice?"

Glenside is a very cool place. Some people are pretty uptight but thats how is is everywhere right? Kind of a biased answer but glenside liberary is a very cool place. Everyone there is chill and very willing to help I think. oh yeah, Ive worked there for the past 7 years, thats where my bias comes in. Peace
John

Old 07-30-2007, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 22,809 times
I don't recall the decapitated bodies, either. I have lived in Glenside for 7 years, and grew up in neighboring city, Roslyn. Glenside is very safe, quiet town. It's true sometimes Philly (thugs, for lack of a better word) come out to the suburbs and steal cars, etc, I don't think it happens very often. And again, don't remember anything about decapitated bodies. Glenside Library is good, but Abington Library (not far from Glenside) is better. Philadelphia Library is the best, of course! Abington and Cheltenham also have some great thrift stores, both within a few minutes of Arcadia. Train to Philly (SEPTA) very safe - can get SEPTA passes for the month or whatever... but don't know the price. Great sporting events and concerts in Philly and nearby Camden, NJ. Snow skiing an hour or two away, depending where you go in the Poconos. Summertime is great - an hour or two away from New Jersey and Delaware beaches (more than just Atlantic City!) Philadelphia Art Museam is wonderful, and FREE on Sundays!! You'll also be close to the Franklin Institute, and Camden Aquarium. Good Luck in school and hope you enjoy Arcadia (but will always be Beaver College in my 35 year old mind!!)

Last edited by k8walsh; 07-30-2007 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 21,961 times
Default Rowanda would be a better choice than Glenside

DON"T MOVE TO GLENSIDE OR ANYWHERE IN CHELTENHAM TOWNSHIP!!!!

Arcadia WAS a good college, but as a University it is growing faster than the community can keep up with. College students run rampant and the school doesn't care what they do in the community as long as they get their tuition. They have turned the surrounding area into a bad version of Animal House - drunken, entitled, immature and spoiled little sociopaths. The police force is an absolute joke - rude, incompetent, unfriendly and unaware of their own township ordinances. There are a lot of people who are second or third generation Glenside residents and are very cliquish and snobby (about what I don't know). It's overcrowded, overpriced, dirty and going down hill fast. The major roads - Easton, 611, Rices Mills, Limekiln, etc... are bumper to bumper trafffic all day, every day -- even driving a few miles takes a half an hour or so. Houses are so close that everyone feels entitled to invade your privacy or comment on your lifestyle.

I wouldn't give up on Arcadia - but commute if you can or try Upper Dublin or Springfield townships.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 21,176 times
My son and girlfriend are moving back to the area. she will be attending Arcadia. They will be looking for a place to live. I started in Glenside because it was close. They are thinking into buying a house but since he will be quitting his job, he may not be able to swing that. Do you have any suggetions for rentals or houses in a nice safe area?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 14,643 times
Glenside is made up of multiple areas within zip code 19038. 19038, or "Glenside" includes areas form Cheltenham, Springfield and Abington Townships. Downtown Glenside (the Cheltenham portion) stretches down Easton Rd from approximately the Oak Summit apartments (Aracadia property) to the Glenside Train Station. There are a few bars on the block; The Glenside Pup, which caters to mostly middle-aged white men watching the Phillies and The Blue Comet, which is a much more "hip" place. The Blue Comet has a 1920's feel with live rockabilly music every Sunday night.
Keswick Village is the “town-center” area. The Keswick Theater does draw a lot of well-known national comedy acts like Dennis Miller, Bill Cosby, and Jim Brewer etc… Most musical acts are 1970’s bands and cover bands that cover a specific type of music. However there have been more current acts recently like Air Born Toxic Event, Jenny Lewis, Ani Difranco etc… There are also a few bars in this area too. Check out the Keswick Tavern (great place to watch a game, decidedly younger crowed), GG Brewers (a little brewery with decent beer and food) and Plush, probably the “youngest” bar in Glenside serving a lot of Arcadia students (they even have a college night). There is also a Diner serving breakfast and lunch, an Irish Grocer called O’Neil’s (great deli selection) as well as a coffee house, a Greek Restaurant, a Sushi/Asian Restaurant and a Pizza/Italian Restaurant. All places in this area are average to above average. The Springfield area of Glenside is called Wyndmoor… This area borders Chestnut Hill (a rich area of North West Philadelphia with many restaurants and bars).
The best part of Glenside really is the convenience to everything else around it. Glenside is centrally located just north of Philadelphia and is well served by public transportation (bus and Rail). Moreover the 309 expressway connects Glenside directly to the PA Turnpike interchange in Ft. Washington. The Glenside Train station is a major hub for SEPTA serving North and Northeastern Montgomery county and North Philadelphia (Temple University), Center City Philadelphia and Philadelphia International Airport directly.
Glenside is a decidedly white-collar town, with fully 85.09% of the workforce employed in white-collar jobs, well above the national average. Overall, Glenside is a town of professionals, sales and office workers and managers. There are especially a lot of people living in Glenside who work in office and administrative support (14.07%), management occupations (11.30%) and sales jobs (11.30%).
Glenside has a high rate of owner-occupied single family homes, which tends to reflect stability in the local community. Much of the housing stock in Glenside was built prior to World War II, making it one of the older and more historic towns in the country. Glenside’s overall crime rate is lower than average for the country. The citizens of Glenside are among the most well-educated in the nation: 48.44% of adults in Glenside have a bachelor's degree or even advanced degree, whereas the average US city has 21.84% holding at least a bachelor's degree. The per capita income in Glenside in 2010 was $34,644, which is wealthy relative to Pennsylvania and the nation. This equates to an annual income of $138,576 for a family of four. Many Glenside residents are 2nd or 3rd generation “Glensidians” which is reflected by the rich heritage and pride in community.
Overall Because of these factors and others, Glenside is a great place for families with children to consider. First of all, many other families with children live here, making Glenside a place where both parents and children are more likely to develop social ties with other families, as well as find family-oriented services and community. The town’s good public school district and large population of college-educated adults provide an environment conducive to academic values
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia