U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 AM

19 posts, read 15,450 times

Advertisements

Hi all! You're always so helpful, so I'm turning to you all again! I need someone who knows the housing market.

We're currently doing our homework before buying our "forever" home in a few short years. I'd love to buy a house around Doylestown. But I simply don't think we can afford that. Are there more affordable alternatives to this? Upper Black Eddy is too far. We are in Pennsburg now, but do not want to buy here. Let's use Doylestown as the reference point and work outwards.

Fiance works in Hilltown, I work primarily in Philly (sometimes Lehigh Valley, but infrequently).

We cannot spend more than $400,000. Looking for a new(er) home with 4 bedrooms, 2.5+ baths, basement/garage/driveway. I'd also like a bit of distance between my house and my neighbors' so let's say 0.75 acre+ lot. Suggestions? I'd like to stay as "cheap" as possible with property taxes--$10,000 is too high (if I could afford that, I'd just as soon move back to NJ!)

School districts are important ish but not a main concern, and honestly they all seem decent, if not pretty great. We want restaurants/bars/convenience nearby (which is why Doylestown is so lovely).

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 10:00 AM

11 posts, read 19,496 times
With your price range and requirements, it is not a easy to find your house in Bucks county around Doylestown and Newtown areas.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:55 PM

Okay well that is not helpful because a quick search on realtor.com turns up several homes that fit the bill.

I said let's work out from Doylestown, meaning north/south/west. I never mentioned Newtown.

Does anyone know which areas may be more affordable than others for real estate? Thanks!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:33 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,125,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee7225 View Post
Okay well that is not helpful because a quick search on realtor.com turns up several homes that fit the bill.

I said let's work out from Doylestown, meaning north/south/west. I never mentioned Newtown.

Does anyone know which areas may be more affordable than others for real estate? Thanks!
"Work out from ..." means only N, S, W? Like you have a compass that doesn't point East? If you didn't want to consider eastern Bucks County then you should have made that part of your post, rather than get snarky with cwstress.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:14 PM

I realize that heading east of Doylestown towards New Jersey will make things a little pricier, so although I realize that Eastern Bucks exists, I was not considering it due to my price range. I'm simply asking for a little feedback from people who know the area. If you don't have anything helpful to add, kindly don't say anything at all. Usually responses are very helpful and friendly on this forum.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 PM

I'd also like to add that I asked about Montgomery County as well.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:49 PM

12,768 posts, read 28,914,075 times
I really like Doylestown and if I were you, I'd just find a great realtor and look for something that needs some TLC or perhaps a little smaller than what you envisioned. If that's not something you want to do, look at Quakertown. It's a nice town and seems to be improving recently. It's got a nice performance venue right next to the Red Lion Inn. McCoole's Arts & Events Place Great new brewpub in town, good shopping on 309, great park and library. You should be able to get a great house in that price range.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:01 PM

I really had not considered that but that's a great suggestion because Doylestown really is awesome. Thank you! I'm 10 minutes from Quakertown now and hoping to not be quite this far from Philly forever. But it does seem to be improving! Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:31 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,274,166 times
What about Lansdale, Warrington areas? Closer to Philly than Quakertown. Been awhile since I lived up that way so I'm not sure what the houses are going for, or the taxes, but Lansdale area is nice because you can hop right on the NE Extension there. I used to live in Upper Gwynedd, which was a very nice area....homes are prob more than $400K at this point though. But check it out.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 AM

Will certainly look into it. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia