Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 AM

12 posts, read 18,872 times

Advertisements

can the people from Philly tell me what their impressions are of the neighborhood containing this address? 4639 germantown ave.? thanks I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
That address is in the Wayne Junction neighborhood, a working-class black community in North Philadelphia. The train station of the same name has been one of the most neglected while other stations (including even Chester) have been refurbished.

If you're considering investing in a home in this area, I'd advise to look further up the road on Germantown Avenue towards Mount Airy or a bit south in East Falls.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Smile I take it that is not very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
That address is in the Wayne Junction neighborhood, a working-class black community in North Philadelphia. The train station of the same name has been one of the most neglected while other stations (including even Chester) have been refurbished.

If you're considering investing in a home in this area, I'd advise to look further up the road on Germantown Avenue towards Mount Airy or a bit south in East Falls.
I am actually, and I was wondering why it was so cheap, for such a cool place, I did see the train tracks and the empty lot next to it, you can actually see it in google map. My son will be going to Penn State after graduating and we need to move there. I am part black so it would be fine as long as there is not a lot of crime there, but it seems you would not move there. thank you.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:16 PM

Is your son going to Penn State's Abington Campus? Or do you mean the University of Pennsyvania?

I know an older couple that has lived in Wayne Junction all their married lives... but there are certainly safer neighborhoods within the city.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Is your son going to Penn State's Abington Campus? Or do you mean the University of Pennsyvania?

I know an older couple that has lived in Wayne Junction all their married lives... but there are certainly safer neighborhoods within the city.
I thought it was Harrington? I am sure it is called Penn State, and we will be moving to Philadelphia mostly so that I can enjoy the big city and he will be commuting if necessary, but Penn Law is in Philadelphia so there won't be much of that. I have already began looking in places in Germantown and Villanova, that house needs a lot of work but I was attracted to the building, (dutch colonial) but the neighborhood...... you are right it is in shambles.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 AM

Just be clear, are you saying that your son will be going to law school at the University of Pennsylvania? If so, Germantown will be fairly convenient. Some parts are better than others but if you're used to urban reality, I'm sure that you will find a place that is comfortable enough for you. Villanova is a whole 'nother world, of course. You may have read various recent threads about the upscale Main Line, of which Villanova is an integral part.

Best of luck to you in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia