U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:56 AM

33 posts, read 47,910 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone (again)!

We are just having a terrible time picking a place to live and really would appreciate some help. I've posted about Manayunk many times, and we've visited there the most, but we just don't feel 'at home' there. No offense to anyone living there, but it just seems a little too 'grimey' to us (beer cans littering the streets everywhere). And it seems like we would get a little bored there too, unless we were the type to want to get trashed every weekend. We've visited Frederick, MD (which, I know, is in MD), and though the downtown looked great with all the little shops and restaurants, once it was night time, it was unsafe beyond belief.

Here's our little background. My fiance is 34, and I'm 24. We have 4 Jack Russells and love to hike with them or walk through a park, courtyard, etc. We need a home/townhouse with a yard. Even if it's a small one, that's really our only non-negotiable for the pups.

We love the charm of small towns but like the big city amenities, and would like to be a train/bus/uber ride from Philly. The furthest we might go is like, the distance of Conshohocken from the city (but we don't care for Conshohocken itself).

We love hiking like I said before, so being by Wissahickon or something similar would be really nice for us.

We are 100% looking for safety. I don't want to be scared walking home from the bar at night if it presents itself.

Things we would want in a town:
-independent coffee shops open past 6pm
-farmer's market
-a little grocery store for quick stops
-dog-friendly restaurants (patio seating)
-independent shops, like how Manayunk has The Spiral Bookcase, etc.
-pubs, bars, breweries. Hopefully at least one with a divey feel that has a dart board! We love to sample craft beers, and are not the types to go out to get plastered ever. We like to try 1-2, and then we're good.
-Some 'foodie-worthy' restaurants
-possibly a dog park, but if we had a yard it wouldn't really be an issue

If you can't tell, we have a few hippie/hipster tendencies to us lol... but we ourselves would not fit the hippie/hipster mold just looking at us.

Thanks so much in advance for your help! Oh, and no job commute to worry about.. both work from home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 10:01 AM

883 posts, read 529,901 times
Perhaps West Chester, if you stay north of Market (in other words, further from the college).

Old 05-09-2016, 10:28 AM

4,743 posts, read 7,844,086 times
My first thought would be to recommend a town like Ardmore--that's probably the next best non-Philly proper neighborhood in terms of the amenities and city proximity you're looking for.

Overall, and not trying to come off as snarky, but you may need to keep a bit more of an open mind. If you're basically writing off neighborhoods like Manayunk and Conshohocken, which tend to be very popular with young professionals, I fear what your views may be of other neighborhoods in/around Philly.

Manayunk, while it can get a bit rowdy, does have a more refined side for sure, and definitely isn't universally "littered" or "grimey" outside of some pockets. It also, in my experience, is one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in the entire Philly area, and I'd put it up against most city neighborhoods across the US in terms of what it offers--so if you fear "boredom" there, I'd venture to say you may be setting the bar too high (not to mention, train service to Center City from there is a breeze to get a downtown fix). Similarly, Conshy seems to have 90% of the amenities you're looking for, so it's a bit perplexing as to why you're claiming not to care for it.

Generally, to point you in the best direction, it would be helpful if you gave a little more indication of what you don't like.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:32 AM

1,233 posts, read 798,194 times
If you ask me, you might want to check out Colorado, Utah or Oregon.

I've been to Utah and Colorado, there is a lot of what you are looking for. The closest I've seen to a hippie town in this part of the country is the village of St Peter's, though it's really small. The few times I've cycled through, there were hipsters walking around with their yoga mats but I don't think there's much in terms of shops in the village.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:42 AM

883 posts, read 529,901 times
I have to say that I tend to agree with Duderino. I followed your other thread and it sounded to me like Manayunk was a perfect fit for you.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:44 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,802,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
My first thought would be to recommend a town like Ardmore--that's probably the next best non-Philly proper neighborhood in terms of the amenities and city proximity you're looking for.

Overall, and not trying to come off as snarky, but you may need to keep a bit more of an open mind. If you're basically writing off neighborhoods like Manayunk and Conshohocken, which tend to be very popular with young professionals, I fear what your views may be of other neighborhoods in/around Philly.

Manayunk, while it can get a bit rowdy, does have a more refined side for sure, and definitely isn't universally "littered" or "grimey" outside of some pockets. It also, in my experience, is one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in the entire Philly area, and I'd put it up against most city neighborhoods across the US in terms of what it offers--so if you fear "boredom" there, I'd venture to say you may be setting the bar too high (not to mention, train service to Center City from there is a breeze to get a downtown fix). Similarly, Conshy seems to have 90% of the amenities you're looking for, so it's a bit perplexing as to why you're claiming not to care for it.

Generally, to point you in the best direction, it would be helpful if you gave a little more indication of what you don't like.
Couldn't agree more with all of this.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:51 AM

1,233 posts, read 798,194 times
WCU had their graduation this weekend and it was hell on earth in West Chester. If you take out the student population, WC is a snobbish/uppity/pretentious locality.

It doesn't help, when you have people who live in WC like to say that they "live in borough" instead of just saying they live in West Chester. It's like they see themselves as different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Perhaps West Chester, if you stay north of Market (in other words, further from the college).

Old 05-09-2016, 10:53 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyp61 View Post
Hi everyone (again)!

We are just having a terrible time picking a place to live and really would appreciate some help. I've posted about Manayunk many times, and we've visited there the most, but we just don't feel 'at home' there. No offense to anyone living there, but it just seems a little too 'grimey' to us (beer cans littering the streets everywhere). And it seems like we would get a little bored there too, unless we were the type to want to get trashed every weekend. We've visited Frederick, MD (which, I know, is in MD), and though the downtown looked great with all the little shops and restaurants, once it was night time, it was unsafe beyond belief.

Here's our little background. My fiance is 34, and I'm 24. We have 4 Jack Russells and love to hike with them or walk through a park, courtyard, etc. We need a home/townhouse with a yard. Even if it's a small one, that's really our only non-negotiable for the pups.

We love the charm of small towns but like the big city amenities, and would like to be a train/bus/uber ride from Philly. The furthest we might go is like, the distance of Conshohocken from the city (but we don't care for Conshohocken itself).

We love hiking like I said before, so being by Wissahickon or something similar would be really nice for us.

We are 100% looking for safety. I don't want to be scared walking home from the bar at night if it presents itself.

Things we would want in a town:
-independent coffee shops open past 6pm
-farmer's market
-a little grocery store for quick stops
-dog-friendly restaurants (patio seating)
-independent shops, like how Manayunk has The Spiral Bookcase, etc.
-pubs, bars, breweries. Hopefully at least one with a divey feel that has a dart board! We love to sample craft beers, and are not the types to go out to get plastered ever. We like to try 1-2, and then we're good.
-Some 'foodie-worthy' restaurants
-possibly a dog park, but if we had a yard it wouldn't really be an issue

If you can't tell, we have a few hippie/hipster tendencies to us lol... but we ourselves would not fit the hippie/hipster mold just looking at us.

Thanks so much in advance for your help! Oh, and no job commute to worry about.. both work from home!
Someone suggested Ardmore below. No. Absolutely no. You would be BORED out of your mind there.

Oddly your last respond to your original post didn't seem so down on Manayunk.

I'm not going to re-read the responses to your original post but did anyone suggest to you the other neighborhoods in the NW section of Philly: Chestnut Hill or the Mt Airies(east or west)?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
If you ask me, you might want to check out Colorado, Utah or Oregon.

I've been to Utah and Colorado, there is a lot of what you are looking for. The closest I've seen to a hippie town in this part of the country is the village of St Peter's, though it's really small. The few times I've cycled through, there were hipsters walking around with their yoga mats but I don't think there's much in terms of shops in the village.
I was about ready to make this kind of suggestion having,personally, spent time in western Nebraska. Scottsbluff and Gering, for instance, have a degree of charm.

Honestly when people infer how much "safety" matters to them they really don't need to live in urban areas. They will never feel secure.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,289,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
WCU had their graduation this weekend and it was hell on earth in West Chester. If you take out the student population, WC is a snobbish/uppity/pretentious locality.

It doesn't help, when you have people who live in WC like to say that they "live in borough" instead of just saying they live in West Chester. It's like they see themselves as different.
There is a difference. Some (most) of the areas immediately surrounding WC Borough are boring country townships with no sidewalks, curbs, street lighting, curb appeal, etc. There is a difference.

BTW - if you think people in this region are pretentious you should visit other places.

Regarding the OP's question, check out this website:

http://www.classictowns.org/explore/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or