U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 06:25 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expataussie View Post
however, we've lived in a desert the last 11 years (Dubai) and we're really ready for some green!
You're in the right place then, its been rainy and cloudy for the last 6 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 07:20 PM

1,243 posts, read 799,046 times
You do realize that people are different and it is OK. You don't have to live in Philly for the same reason as others.

I don't live my life according to other people. I moved to Philly for my own reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Valid points. But millions of people chose to live in the Philadelphia area for more reasons than being close to NYC and good flight options.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:33 PM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
You do realize that people are different and it is OK. You don't have to live in Philly for the same reason as others.

I don't live my life according to other people. I moved to Philly for my own reasons.
Fine, but your statements on here, especially the first one is nothing more than extremely broad generalization that is nothing more than an opinion. COL of living considerations aside, the QOL and historic/cultured nature of the Philly burbs is hard to beat. How would raising kids in Naperville IL be a better option than raising kids in say Wayne/Villanova/Media etc?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Some places are better for families than others. There are even lists for best places in America for families. And I can come up with many better places than Wayne/Villanova/Media.

I'm going to generalize again. Guys in East Coast like to look down on other parts of the country. Like you mention culture, as if there's no culture in other parts of America e.g. Oklahoma. The world has moved, Philly is past its glory days and now it's happening elsewhere, including in the backwater places.

Quote:
Fine, but your statements on here, especially the first one is nothing more than extremely broad generalization that is nothing more than an opinion. COL of living considerations aside, the QOL and historic/cultured nature of the Philly burbs is hard to beat. How would raising kids in Naperville IL be a better option than raising kids in say Wayne/Villanova/Media etc?

Old 05-15-2016, 08:01 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Don't get so worked up about what he says. Philadelphia is not a place that, IMO, he intends to set down any lasting roots. It's convenient for his needs right now and that's fine.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Some places are better for families than others. There are even lists for best places in America for families. And I can come up with many better places than Wayne/Villanova/Media.

I'm going to generalize again. Guys in East Coast like to look down on other parts of the country. Like you mention culture, as if there's no culture in other parts of America e.g. Oklahoma. The world has moved, Philly is past its glory days and now it's happening elsewhere, including in the backwater places.
Right. Oklahoma has great culture. It used to be called "Indian Country" and was the designated land mass that many eastern Native Americans were forced to move to, including some of my ancestors, because they were deemed "undesirable", "inconvenient", "savages", etc. and absolutely unfit, to live east of the Mississippi River. So, yes, I intend to look down on Oklahoma.

'Course this has nothing to do with the OP wants to know.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:23 PM

It's funny when people catch feelings over something they disagree with on the internet. Once in a while, I like to read the pissing contests in the city vs city threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Don't get so worked up about what he says. Philadelphia is not a place that, IMO, he intends to set down any lasting roots. It's convenient for his needs right now and that's fine.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:26 PM

I'm the only one who has said anything about naperville and doylestown, which is what the OP asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Right. Oklahoma has great culture. It used to be called "Indian Country" and was the designated land mass that many eastern Native Americans were forced to move to, including some of my ancestors, because they were deemed "undesirable", "inconvenient", "savages", etc. and absolutely unfit, to live east of the Mississippi River. So, yes, I intend to look down on Oklahoma.

'Course this has nothing to do with the OP wants to know.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
It's funny when people catch feelings over something they disagree with on the internet. Once in a while, I like to read the pissing contests in the city vs city threads.
The current Seattle vs Philly is hysterically funny but not quite as hilarious as the recent Houston vs Philadelphia one.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:08 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expataussie View Post
We are planning on moving back to the US next summer 2017. We're visiting both areas this July/August to get a feel for each place. Husband is in aviation so we're choosing a place based on drive to major airports - specifically those in the New York or Chicago area. I'd love to get some opinions from people who have lived in, or are familiar with, both areas. Our kids will be going into 8th and 9th grade August 2017 so schools are very important. We would probably rent for our first year and then look at buying. We wouldn't want to spend more than $500,000 on a house. We love the convenience of the suburbs but would appreciate having access to the cultural and sporting events that a larger city offers. I currently do a lot of driving around town getting kids to/from school and activities (sometimes up to 2 hours a day) and dealing with truly crazy drivers - so to do less of that would be amazing!
Born and raised in the Philly suburbs so I will recommend Philly all day long. Admittedly, I don't know anything about Naperville, IL or Plano, TX -- just that I can't see where they'd be better than my hometown. That said, I don't see where Doylestown is all that convenient to NYC airports. Route 202 is no I-95. Nor is it close to PHL either. Plus it's an expensive area so I don't know what <$500K will get you these days. You certainly would have access to the culture of the city, and Philly's a huge sports town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or