U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 02:24 AM

90 posts, read 109,105 times

Advertisements

We know of quite a few pilots based out of New York airports that live in PA due to a lower cost of living when compared to NY or NJ. They aren't driving in every day so they choose to have a longer drive but they just don't do it as often as most people that work a standard work week. it isn't ideal but if you're junior based (i.e. New York based) then it's maybe better than other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 08:25 AM

11 posts, read 19,479 times
Have you ever considered Newtown, PA? The Newtown has good school district, Council Rock and closed to major highway I-95. It's about 1 hour to Newark airport and also not far from major NYC airports. The housing price varies but $500,000 you can get a very decent house. I have a friend living in Napersville, IL and been there in 2012. Napersville is also a good place and housing price is about the same as Newtown, PA. The winter weather is a big concern of my spouse. If you like biking, Bucks county is a good place. There is a bike trail along Delaware River both in NJ and PA sides.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 AM

I'll take a look at Newtown. Our focus is on Doylestown mainly because we have friends who moved there last year.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:59 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,269,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expataussie View Post
We know of quite a few pilots based out of New York airports that live in PA due to a lower cost of living when compared to NY or NJ. They aren't driving in every day so they choose to have a longer drive but they just don't do it as often as most people that work a standard work week. it isn't ideal but if you're junior based (i.e. New York based) then it's maybe better than other options.
Yes, totally understand why you'd want to choose PA over NY metro area for lower COL, but your original post said you were basing your location on the drive to the NYC airports. There are a ton of other places in Bucks County that would be more convenient for that drive than Doylestown, is all. Just look at the map. I know your friends live there but friends don't have to live in the same town as long as they're reasonably close. I think if your husband is driving up there a few times a week, he'd appreciate being closer to 95. But...not my circus.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:18 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,156,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Yes, totally understand why you'd want to choose PA over NY metro area for lower COL, but your original post said you were basing your location on the drive to the NYC airports. There are a ton of other places in Bucks County that would be more convenient for that drive than Doylestown, is all. Just look at the map. I know your friends live there but friends don't have to live in the same town as long as they're reasonably close. I think if your husband is driving up there a few times a week, he'd appreciate being closer to 95. But...not my circus.
I agree on Newtown, having grown up there it seemed quite a few pilots that flew from EWR lived there, maybe lessor taxes compared to NJ and still a reasonable commute for those not having to do daily. It also is closer to NJT lines in Trenton and Hamilton and also 95, probably closer to 25 minutes closer to EWR.

I really like both Newtown and Doylestown for what its worth, prefer both to Naperville which feels a little more cookie cutter to me, all three are great areas though

Old 05-17-2016, 03:07 PM

27,263 posts, read 25,854,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expataussie View Post
...The concern I have with Plano, TX is not having the same access to other interesting regions without getting on a plane. We have that where we are now, having said that, my husband was really impressed with Dallas when he was there a few months ago and we still have friends there. We also have friends in Doylestown, PA. For those who live in the area - how often do you get out and explore the region? Is it something people do on weekends, or more on vacation? Our kids are MS age so I know how busy life is when school's on with homework, activities, school events, etc. does it leave time for taking nice drives on weekends?...
For the most part, I have no idea what other people do. I like to explore, and when I can manage it, visit the woods, parks, towns and attractions in my area. Some people mow the lawn and go to the mall. My son cuts my lawn and I haven't been to a mall in years.

There is a lot to do and see in the greater Philadelphia area.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:48 PM

Is Newtown a lot smaller than Doylestown? Has it good access to shopping, amenities, etc. I'd like to be within 10mins of a good grocery store. Are the schools comparable?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 19,479 times
Newtown is smaller than Doylestown. It is closed to Oxford Valley mall and Philadelphia Mill outlet. For groceries, there are ACME, Giant and McCaffrey's. For the school, I think Doylestown is Central Bucks High school district and Newtown is Council Rock. Both are good school districts. You can google that and see by yourself.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:14 PM

22,381 posts, read 33,156,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwstrees View Post
Newtown is smaller than Doylestown. It is closed to Oxford Valley mall and Philadelphia Mill outlet. For groceries, there are ACME, Giant and McCaffrey's. For the school, I think Doylestown is Central Bucks High school district and Newtown is Council Rock. Both are good school districts. You can google that and see by yourself.

Newtown is a slightly smaller DT but has basically all the same amenities and closer to more big box stuff in Langhorne. CR is I believe rated one of the 50 best public schools in the country a bit higher ranking than CB West

Both have a quaint DT, doylestown a little larger

Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 AM

3,493 posts, read 2,178,971 times
I worked in Doylestown for several years and worked not too far from Naperville for a couple years. They are both great towns, and both are probably about the same level of difficulty as far as getting into the downtowns of their respective cities.

Chicago is a better city than Philadelphia, with much more going on, and with a nicer skyline. Both cities, though, have great food. Philadelphia has better access to an ocean-beach, if that matters to you.

Both towns you mention are very nice suburbs, but neither is exactly the closest for going into the city on a regular or daily basis. I assume you want the city nearby, but don't plan to go into it all that frequently.

I think you just have to decide whether you want East Coast or Midwest, or whether it is for any reason more desirable to be in Chicago rather than Philly (or vice versa) for the routes your husband would fly, and also for visiting any friends or family you have over here. If you have a lot of friends in NYC and DC, then I'd say pick Philly. If you don't have a great number of friends concentrated in any single area, or you might want to travel to the west coast more, choose Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or