U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:12 AM

1,243 posts, read 799,046 times

Advertisements

Well, NYC is filthier, more expensive, more congested, etc and the population is increasing.

That said, where did you get your information about Chi-town population decrease. It was only last year, since 1990 and the decrease was a paltry 3,000 out of a couple of million residents. I wouldn't call this "still loosing population".

I don't know why guys have a problem with other places being better than Philly. Just accept it.

So why did I move to Philly rather than Chicago? I did get a much better job offer in Philly than Chicago, where I also consideed moving to. It was a no-brainer for me. Plus I hate O'hare airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's begs the question, "Why not just move there and put yourself out of your Philadelphia area misery?" Lol

Seriously, though, isn't Chicago still loosing population? If so, why? Places as desirable as you claim, shouldn't be doing that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:45 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Well, NYC is filthier, more expensive, more congested, etc and the population is increasing.

That said, where did you get your information about Chi-town population decrease. It was only last year, since 1990 and the decrease was a paltry 3,000 out of a couple of million residents. I wouldn't call this "still loosing population".

I don't know why guys have a problem with other places being better than Philly. Just accept it.

So why did I move to Philly rather than Chicago? I did get a much better job offer in Philly than Chicago, where I also consideed moving to. It was a no-brainer for me. Plus I hate O'hare airport.
I suppose one could argue that the small increase in population in Phila., over the last decade, does not matter either but psychologically it does matter. Illinois has lost a lot people mostly to the Sun Belt unsurprisingly.

I love Chicago, btw. But I don't care for the areas/states around it. It makes more sense for me to remain in the BosWash corridor.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 AM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:
Y'all,
Skyline or not, Chicago is a better city than Philly. Get over it.

It's cleaner, less congested, newer, shinier, cheaper, beautiful, etc
My issue with the statement is that it comes off as elitist and it is an opinion.

More appropriate response would be, I prefer Chicago because.... or Chicago is more appealing because...

A blanket statement saying Chicago is a better city to me loses credibility before I even read the reasons why. Chicago's biggest perk over Philadelphia is the cleanliness factor. I do love Chicago, just not its location.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:52 PM

4,745 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Y'all,
Skyline or not, Chicago is a better city than Philly. Get over it.

It's cleaner, less congested, newer, shinier, cheaper, beautiful, etc
I think you well know the difference between subjective opinions versus objective facts. Your statement as to which is a "better" city is the former.

We all have a multitude of different ways in which we determine that any given city is "better" than another. And even if we all agreed on the same criteria (which we don't), they're all weighted differently for each person. That's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or