Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:07 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Yes, lots. But too many people want to see a Roman circus rather than legitimate political discourse, so this is what we get.
Right! The dumbing down of America has reached epic proportions.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I won't make any predictions on the election, but many of the Trump supporters that I know like him mostly because of his immigration stance. The one thing I will predict is; if Trump wins and serves two terms, at the end of his terms there will still be 11Mil + undocumented immigrants here and there will be no wall. In fact it is my belief that what Trump is saying about immigration and what he is "really thinking" are two different things.
Of course. Most are not going anywhere. And there will be no wall because , environmentally, it's not feasible.

I don't know any open Trump supporters, thank goodness.

And isn't it true that Obama Admin has deported a hell of a lot of undocumented people?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
It's not necessarily laziness. I know a lot of people who are entirely disengaged from the world, without strong opinions about many things, if anything, who can't hold a basic conversation about world, national, or local affairs, who go out to vote year after year after year, on either side of the aisle.

I don't consider myself lazy. I spend up to an hour a day or more reading various news sites. Went to school for political science. Have engaged in legitimate organizing in my day. Have a number of things I actually care about. This past primary was the first time I've voted in nearly 10 years. I don't see myself voting again soon.

It's a shame there's not more commotion for alternatives to the current two party system, what with somewhere around 50% of the people not currently engaged in voting. And it may or may not have anything to do with Trump, but I don't begrudge anyone for not going out and voting for people they don't necessarily care about or believe in for the meantime.
Well, for one thing the Tuesday voting should have been ditched years ago.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 PM

90 posts, read 130,404 times
In Mount Airy we feel the Bern Baby!!! I'm kind of surprised Hilldawg won Philadelphia so convincingly. Every one that I know in the area supports Bernie (mostly AfAm and White professionals). It's crazy how your little social bubble can be such an echo chamber I guess.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:39 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
In Mount Airy we feel the Bern Baby!!! I'm kind of surprised Hilldawg won Philadelphia so convincingly. Every one that I know in the area supports Bernie (mostly AfAm and White professionals). It's crazy how your little social bubble can be such an echo chamber I guess.
We feel it in Gtown too! I think Clinton supporters are just not very vocal and don't display signs/bumper stickers/etc. She is not an "exciting" candidate despite the fact that she would be the first female President, which is strange-that really points toward her problems with trust and likeability. In the year of "anti-establishment" candidates Clinton is about as entrenched in the political system of legalized bribery as it can get.

I agree though-mostly everyone I know supports Bernie-my Mom in Mt Airy even surprised me (a little) pulling the lever for him over Hillary. Looks like I'll be voting Jill Stein again.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-19-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 06:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
It's not necessarily laziness. I know a lot of people who are entirely disengaged from the world, without strong opinions about many things, if anything, who can't hold a basic conversation about world, national, or local affairs, who go out to vote year after year after year, on either side of the aisle.

I don't consider myself lazy. I spend up to an hour a day or more reading various news sites. Went to school for political science. Have engaged in legitimate organizing in my day. Have a number of things I actually care about. This past primary was the first time I've voted in nearly 10 years. I don't see myself voting again soon.

It's a shame there's not more commotion for alternatives to the current two party system, what with somewhere around 50% of the people not currently engaged in voting. And it may or may not have anything to do with Trump, but I don't begrudge anyone for not going out and voting for people they don't necessarily care about or believe in for the meantime.
Agreed. I always vote for the local and state, although even that is a joke. Why even bother voting for mayor? The Democrat always wins.

Voting for president will do next to no good. No real difference between the parties except for a couple of issues (which are important). Both are narcissistic disasters that can't be trusted. And then there's the whole Electoral College....

Old 05-20-2016, 04:58 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

I don't know any open Trump supporters, thank goodness.
You may think you don't know any, but you do.

They're not all "uneducated, racist cretins" that some would like to believe they are. If you want to that type, simply look north of where you live. Those words could be used to describe a good number of Democrats in Philly and every big city.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Agreed. I always vote for the local and state, although even that is a joke. Why even bother voting for mayor? The Democrat always wins.

Voting for president will do next to no good. No real difference between the parties except for a couple of issues (which are important). Both are narcissistic disasters that can't be trusted. And then there's the whole Electoral College....
This is the most accurate post in this thread.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Gawd bless 'Murica
This guy is still better than the typical, inner-city Democrat. At least that guy probably has a job.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
It's all the mirror image of Trump.

Are your neighbors grasping that without a flip to Democrats in Congress(well, the Senate), the Congressional obstruction will be way worse than it's been with Obama? Shutting down the government again? Absolutely with Sanders in the WH. Have any of you BernieBros considered, nextly, that any pick Sanders would have for SC would be held up FOREVER or as long as Congress can delay having hearings?

Plus there's the fact that since Sanders isn't a Democrat, and hasn't done much as a Senator, he won't get much cooperation from a actual Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia