Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:16 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,663,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Agreed. I always vote for the local and state, although even that is a joke. Why even bother voting for mayor? The Democrat always wins.

Voting for president will do next to no good. No real difference between the parties except for a couple of issues (which are important). Both are narcissistic disasters that can't be trusted. And then there's the whole Electoral College....
Well, what happened in Philadelphia is a Republican machine got replaced with a Democrat one.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
You may think you don't know any, but you do.

They're not all "uneducated, racist cretins" that some would like to believe they are. If you want to that type, simply look north of where you live. Those words could be used to describe a good number of Democrats in Philly and every big city.
I said I don't, personally, know any open Trump supporters. I didn't say that Trump supporters aren't around me. Of course they are.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 AM

31,880 posts, read 34,374,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The article seemed to allude to the Ds not maintaining the same margins

In 2012 Obama had a 600K margin of victory in Philly, Bucks, and Montco combined. The margin in PA was 300K in total so given the large population in these counties if closer to 50/50 it suggests it is much harder to carry PA as a whole not that Trump would win these counties per se
Yeah, that was the takeaway from the article. Trump doesn't need to win the burbs (though he'll likely win Bucks and Chester), he just needs to narrow the margins. And if he's narrowing the margins in DelCo and Montgomery, then he's also narrowing the margins in Allegheny, Lackawanna, Luzerne, etc.

The latest Quinnipiac poll has Trump down 1 point against Clinton. Some say that this means nothing so far out from the General Election and that Trump's support will plummet once his buffoonery is exposed to the voting public. Others point to the fact that Nate Silver and other political scientists and pollsters were completely wrong about Trump. I don't think his support can really weaken at this point. As he said, he could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and not lose any support.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's all the mirror image of Trump.

Are your neighbors grasping that without a flip to Democrats in Congress(well, the Senate), the Congressional obstruction will be way worse than it's been with Obama? Shutting down the government again? Absolutely with Sanders in the WH. Have any of you BernieBros considered, nextly, that any pick Sanders would have for SC would be held up FOREVER or as long as Congress can delay having hearings?

Plus there's the fact that since Sanders isn't a Democrat, and hasn't done much as a Senator, he won't get much cooperation from a actual Democrats.
I don't understand this either. If you want the Revolution so badly, then start by helping aldermen, county commissioners, local judges, state senators, etc. It seems to be White House or nothing with Sanders supporters.

If Obama's negatives are as high as they are--and this is after killing bin Laden, passing Obamacare, presiding over an economy demonstrating steady economic growth, gaining Iranian cooperation, etc--then imagine what Sanders' negatives will be. He can't possibly deliver on the things he's promising, so his supporters will eventually turn their backs on him. And his far left policies will provide even more cannon fodder for Republican opposition. I don't see any good that could come out of a Sanders presidency unless Congress and state houses get filled with like-minded people.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:45 AM

379 posts, read 256,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't understand this either. If you want the Revolution so badly, then start by helping aldermen, county commissioners, local judges, state senators, etc. It seems to be White House or nothing with Sanders supporters.

If Obama's negatives are as high as they are--and this is after killing bin Laden, passing Obamacare, presiding over an economy demonstrating steady economic growth, gaining Iranian cooperation, etc--then imagine what Sanders' negatives will be. He can't possibly deliver on the things he's promising, so his supporters will eventually turn their backs on him. And his far left policies will provide even more cannon fodder for Republican opposition. I don't see any good that could come out of a Sanders presidency unless Congress and state houses get filled with like-minded people.
Agree with this except for the fact that I'm not sure Obama's negatives are that high anymore. He's actually polling at about 50% approval consistently now.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:48 AM

379 posts, read 256,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
We feel it in Gtown too! I think Clinton supporters are just not very vocal and don't display signs/bumper stickers/etc. She is not an "exciting" candidate despite the fact that she would be the first female President, which is strange-that really points toward her problems with trust and likeability. In the year of "anti-establishment" candidates Clinton is about as entrenched in the political system of legalized bribery as it can get.

I agree though-mostly everyone I know supports Bernie-my Mom in Mt Airy even surprised me (a little) pulling the lever for him over Hillary. Looks like I'll be voting Jill Stein again.
I know it's a personal decision but can I just ask why you would hand a vote to Trump? For the Supreme Court alone it is incredibly important to have Hillary elected if you are left of center.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, that was the takeaway from the article. Trump doesn't need to win the burbs (though he'll likely win Bucks and Chester), he just needs to narrow the margins. And if he's narrowing the margins in DelCo and Montgomery, then he's also narrowing the margins in Allegheny, Lackawanna, Luzerne, etc.

The latest Quinnipiac poll has Trump down 1 point against Clinton. Some say that this means nothing so far out from the General Election and that Trump's support will plummet once his buffoonery is exposed to the voting public. Others point to the fact that Nate Silver and other political scientists and pollsters were completely wrong about Trump. I don't think his support can really weaken at this point. As he said, he could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and not lose any support.
Agree with you. People who believe Trump's appeal will shrink now, and the coming months, are delusional.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
Agree with this except for the fact that I'm not sure Obama's negatives are that high anymore. He's actually polling at about 50% approval consistently now.
I have to say that I'm already depressed that he will be "gone" at the stroke of noon on 1/20/17 to, possibly , be replaced with a proto-fascist with very little impulse control.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,845,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I know it's a personal decision but can I just ask why you would hand a vote to Trump? For the Supreme Court alone it is incredibly important to have Hillary elected if you are left of center.
(IMO of course) I could never vote for someone who is so hawkish. I am 100% Anti-War and it is something I will no longer bend on, even if it means allowing an unknown to control the reigns. And I disagree with the notion that voting third party is giving away your vote to the D or R that wins-no, if Hillary doesn't win it will be due to the fact she has been running for Presidency since 2007 and yet still has horrible likeability/trust ratings. The DNC was naive to think that she would be a strong/exciting candidate-again.

At this point I feel Trump is mostly all talk and in reality is more "Center" or even "Left" than he is letting on now. I have faith that Americans would never allow him to do 99% of what he spouts, and it could even kickstart a real uprising, instead of this lulling complacency we see when we continuously choose "the lesser of two evils"-the Corporate Democrat, "politics as usual" like Obama and Clintons. But-I don't think he can win anyway. As Jill Stein often says, choosing the lesser of two evils is just creating a conduit for the greater evil to exist in the first place. It is a fear tactic mostly. "You have to accept endless war and financial corruption, because- look at that trainwreck over there".

Obama's hawkishness is actually what lost a chunk of my support for him, and Hillary is worse than Barack-who really was no better than Bush on that front.

I'm not saying nothing can change, but right now I don't think Trump even has any chance AT ALL to win PA so the point is mute.

Thanks for being respectful though!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
(IMO of course) I could never vote for someone who is so hawkish. I am 100% Anti-War and it is something I will no longer bend on, even if it means allowing an unknown to control the reigns. And I disagree with the notion that voting third party is giving away your vote to the D or R that wins-no, if Hillary doesn't win it will be due to the fact she has been running for Presidency since 2007 and yet still has horrible likeability/trust ratings. The DNC was naive to think that she would be a strong/exciting candidate-again.
Well, that's sort of the difference between you and a Hispanic hotel worker in Nevada, right? For wealthier, White voters, many of these issues are more of an abstraction. For racial minorities who are much more vulnerable than you or I in virtually every way imaginable, these issues are much more concrete, and they don't have the luxury of taking principled stands. Cuts to social spending, for example, would have absolutely zero effect on my lifestyle, but they would undoubtedly thrust millions of children into poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia