Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 PM

30 posts, read 68,512 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been posting here on an off for a few years now.

I lived in Wayne for 2 years (renting), and have been to Bryn Mawr several times.

I'm looking to rent for another year or two, then I plan on buying a home and raising several children hopefully through Delco, or Chester county.

I'm just pretty confused why I can get a 2BR+, 2B+ house in Bryn Mawr for 200-300k that's 1800sqft+, when a lot of single family 2BR+, 1B+ houses in Wayne are 300-400k+ and maybe 1200sqft .

If I compare houses in Wayne and Bryn Mawr that have these attributes, with the same schools (Delco) or (Chester) - the prices are generally a lot higher in wayne (and especially as you get closer to N/S Wayne Ave.)

Why is this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 4,719 times
Hi there. I grew up in Wayne. Have never considered moving back so I don't completely have my finger on the pulse of the real estate market, but I would characterize Wayne (particularly the central part you're describing) as more charming and historic than Bryn Mawr. Some of the houses you're describing have significant historic detail (windows, woodwork, etc.) which could bring the prices up. Even the house where I grew up, which could not be said to be historic, was substantially older and more solidly built than the (larger) homes of some of my friends in Bryn Mawr. I'm probably oversimplifying things, but square footage isn't everything: look at historicness, build quality, walkability, etc.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM

971 posts, read 533,540 times
I agree with ombrophile's observations. Also, the difference in house prices might be because of the school districts.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:30 PM

30 posts, read 68,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I agree with ombrophile's observations. Also, the difference in house prices might be because of the school districts.
As I said the SD overlap..at least the ones im comparing.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 4,719 times
There are parts of each town that are in different districts, at least according to my vague native's sense of the boundaries. Wayne is mostly Radnor, some T/E (Tredyffrin Easttown). Bryn Mawr is part Radnor, part LM (Lower Merion)--I think. They're all good schools with property taxes to match so that doesn't seem like a huge factor for children who aren't born yet!

Another factor to consider is that Septa has introduced some express-type trains since I grew up there (which occasionally trip me up now I've returned!). There is a "limited" train, I think they call it, that goes from CC to Wayne at rush hour and is faster than the trip used to be. Bryn Mawr also has some kind of "express." That could make both places attractive to commuters in ways that intervening stations like Rosemont aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia