U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:32 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times

Advertisements

maybe plead to get someone with some local association

Taylor Swift, Pink or Hall and Oates

Hell the Hooters would be more interesting then this lineup

its all left me hanging on a heartbeat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 12:06 PM

251 posts, read 129,626 times
Quote:
The July Fourth parade will include a float with Philadelphia drag queen Brittany Lynn surrounded by Mummers.
Nicki Minaj is too offensive, but hey, here's the perpetually drunk, racist, and homophobic Mummers to make it family friendly again!

Let's be real, we all know why the lineup changed the way it did.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:17 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,065,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Nicki Minaj is too offensive, but hey, here's the perpetually drunk, racist, and homophobic Mummers to make it family friendly again!

Let's be real, we all know why the lineup changed the way it did.
Small minds generalize. How would you like it if someone referred to the entire black race in such a terribly negative manner? How about if someone spoke such garbage about the homosexual community?

Old 05-27-2016, 10:49 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,486,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Small minds generalize. How would you like it if someone referred to the entire black race in such a terribly negative manner? How about if someone spoke such garbage about the homosexual community?
Are you attempting to proclaim that much like race and sexual identity, one doesn't choose to be a mummer? One is simply born a mummer, they come out of the womb covered in sequins and shouting homophobic slurs?

Give me a break. I wouldn't associate myself with a group that has had half as many issues relating to racism and homophobia. Anyone who chooses to be a mummer knows damn well what they're associating themselves with and they don't care because those are the values of these people. Racist bigots the whole lot of em.

And I think that mslhu is spot on and that's absolutely why the event has changed. Certain people were upset that the event had become an event that featured predominantly black acts for younger audiences and they didn't like it. Apparently all that mattered was getting rid of those acts and replacing them seems to have not even crossed their minds.

Can't even blame all of this on not inviting the roots, even before the roots I remember there were acts like Elton John or even hall and oates. The current relevance of some of the acts in previous years may have waxed and waned but they were all at the very least big names that could draw a crowd.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:55 AM

2,131 posts, read 1,065,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Are you attempting to proclaim that much like race and sexual identity, one doesn't choose to be a mummer? One is simply born a mummer, they come out of the womb covered in sequins and shouting homophobic slurs?

Give me a break. I wouldn't associate myself with a group that has had half as many issues relating to racism and homophobia. Anyone who chooses to be a mummer knows damn well what they're associating themselves with and they don't care because those are the values of these people. Racist bigots the whole lot of em.

And I think that mslhu is spot on and that's absolutely why the event has changed. Certain people were upset that the event had become an event that featured predominantly black acts for younger audiences and they didn't like it. Apparently all that mattered was getting rid of those acts and replacing them seems to have not even crossed their minds.

Can't even blame all of this on not inviting the roots, even before the roots I remember there were acts like Elton John or even hall and oates. The current relevance of some of the acts in previous years may have waxed and waned but they were all at the very least big names that could draw a crowd.
Small minds generalize.
Anyway, just because some Mummers are knuckleheads, you think they all are? What about the ones who just want to play music, dance and have a good time? Do you also consider all cops to be "racist bigots" because of a few bad apples? Should a person who wants to make law enforcement a career just throw their hands up and say "I don't want to be associated with that?" Are all who enjoy attending NASCAR events or country music concerts 'racist bigots' because some attendees choose to fly the Confederate flag? Should they simply stay home because "they don't want to be associated with that?" Should good Muslims change their faith so as to not be associated with terrorism? Afterall, they do have a choice in the matter at a certain age, they're not born with their heads covered. Thank you for exposing yourself.

RE: Welcome America - I don't care about it ... But, you're right - the white boogeyman didn't like the black crowds it attracted so he bullied his way into getting what he wants. Give us a break.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 05-28-2016 at 05:12 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 08:00 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,039,427 times
Leon Bridges has been added to the line up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgS_xob1x4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hegd4xNfRo

This guy is good.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:00 PM

82 posts, read 63,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I've never heard of a Miguel and the only reason I know who Nicki Minaj exists is because of her over-sized rear end.
Same here. Never heard of Miguel. I know I've heard some of Nicki Minaj's music but I couldn't name a single one of her songs, I just know her because she's hot honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or