Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:36 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I almost stopped by Geno's today. I have family visiting over the Christmas break and I'm hoping we get a chance to go to Geno's. We're definitely going to Manhattan for the Christmas displays.
No! Go to John's Roast Pork, on Snyder Ave across from Snyder Plaza and near Columbus Commons. Columbus Commons has the huge Ikea store. There's plenty of parking nearby in each shopping center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I almost stopped by Geno's today. I have family visiting over the Christmas break and I'm hoping we get a chance to go to Geno's. We're definitely going to Manhattan for the Christmas displays.
If you go to NYC be VERY prepared for even bigger issues on 5th Ave wrt congestion. It's always crazy with people this time of year but security around Trump Tower has made it more so. I was there a week ago ...

Expect possible traffic backups, worse than usual, getting through the tunnels if you go that way.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:51 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
I actually did go to Columbus Commons. I had gone to CC and when I was done, I decided to explore Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
No! Go to John's Roast Pork, on Snyder Ave across from Snyder Plaza and near Columbus Commons. Columbus Commons has the huge Ikea store. There's plenty of parking nearby in each shopping center.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:42 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
John's is a dump in a dumpy setting ... and the cheesesteak isn't all that great. I'd never send a tourist there.
Nothing wrong at all with a Geno's steak, plus the atmosphere is much better than John's.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
John's is a dump in a dumpy setting ... and the cheesesteak isn't all that great. I'd never send a tourist there.
Nothing wrong at all with a Geno's steak, plus the atmosphere is much better than John's.
Yeah, it was dumpy around there. Used to be true, I agree. But it's not so true now...a giant Lowes is right next door with the giant IKEA next to that. The whole thing is called Columbus Commons.

The problem I have with Geno's, Pat's, and Tony Luke's is the lines. I'm not a line stander usually.

I dunno, I've gotten the same level of friendliness and/or real Philly-ness from all those places.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
At this day and age, both are tourist traps. It's been 10+ years since the Inky crowned John's as the king. Since then John's went on a solid roll (pun intended) winning a James Beard award, and getting featured multiple times on Food Network including winning Man vs. Food's Adam Richmond's best cheesesteak.

While I agree the setting is not great, it does harken back to the blue collar working guy getting a bite for breakfast or lunch off the grill. Plus, it is way easier to park.

Still, if someone has never had a cheesesteak in Philly, you mine as well send them to 9th street. There is a bar these days in between the Pat's and Geno's called Garage, and you can bring your cheesesteak inside and have a drink with it. If you have younger kids they are also more of a colorful experience. If you want to eat a cheesesteak with a real philly Sarcone's roll, super sharp provolone I would go to John's.

In Regards to this thread:

I would say Market Street is a better walk than Broad. A lot has been added to make west market a better walk for a pedestrian. Philly is more about the more lowkey streets. 2nd/3rd in Old City, South Street, the Italian Market, Walnut/Chestnut, idk just my thoughts.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 PM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
I have yet to try the cheesesteak at John's Roast Pork, but:

--the eponymous sandwich IS all that and a bag of chips, better than either Tony Luke's or (sorry) Tommy Nicolosi's place in the RTM (which is a VERY close second)
--you're going there for the food, not the atmosphere; there are places in the dining universe where the food is so good (and so basic) the atmosphere really doesn't matter

As for Geno's, it's bright, clean and neon-lit, and Geno Vento is a huge benefactor of the Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus (I'm sitting out my second season in a row after eight as a second tenor; something tells me I'll be a baritone when I return), so I'm not going to discourage anyone from going there and ordering cheesesteaks. In fact, I'd encourage all of you to have one for me, Geno and my brothers in song. But there are better in the city, at several places. Ditto Pat's, the originator, on the other side of Cheesesteak Corner. I would, however, say that Pat's is resting on its laurels while Geno's remains pretty decent.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:35 PM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Still, if someone has never had a cheesesteak in Philly, you mine as well send them to 9th street.[...]
Sending a visitor to Cheesesteak Corner is like steering someone visiting Kansas City to Arthur Bryant's Barbecue at 1727 Brooklyn Avenue.

You're sending them there for, and because of, the legend. Not because they're the best in town.

Quote:
In Regards to this thread:

I would say Market Street is a better walk than Broad. A lot has been added to make west market a better walk for a pedestrian. Philly is more about the more lowkey streets. 2nd/3rd in Old City, South Street, the Italian Market, Walnut/Chestnut, idk just my thoughts.
Broad Street:

--is too short in its key stretch because of how the original 1682 city was laid out
--has historically been an office canyon, and office canyons are generally uninteresting streets to walk.

I'd say that still applies to West Market Street, though less so than it used to be. East Market's problem is that it still has holes that need filling. But they're working on that.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I have yet to try the cheesesteak at John's Roast Pork, but:
It's John's Roast Pork for a reason; get a pork sandwich.

Tbh, I've never had a cheesesteak from there. Only pork and breakfast sandwiches on a hoagie roll.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:52 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
Yeah, it was dumpy around there. Used to be true, I agree. But it's not so true now...a giant Lowes is right next door with the giant IKEA next to that. The whole thing is called Columbus Commons.
I still wouldn't recommend it to a tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia