Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 05:45 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,444,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You know it ain't so fabulous looking around 2nd and Oregon either but tourists have pretty much " taken over" Tony Luke's particularly in the summer.
Really? I haven't eaten there in years ... last two times I did, I got sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,444,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I live two blocks from here and it's such a great display. Gets better every year.

One funny thing is that so many people drive through in their cars. It's like the people who visit a state park and never get out of the car.
Awww wt*! We ate at 13th and Ellsworth the other night and my crazy sister-in-law said "Let's go see the lights on Passyunk Ave!" We didn't see any lights, but Passyunk is a lovely avenue.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,831,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Awww wt*! We ate at 13th and Ellsworth the other night and my crazy sister-in-law said "Let's go see the lights on Passyunk Ave!" We didn't see any lights, but Passyunk is a lovely avenue.
Did you eat at El Jarocho? Good little place.

That sucks. I guess at least you got to see our fat short Xmas tree in the Singing Fountain.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:32 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,672,443 times
Quote:
Really? I haven't eaten there in years ... last two times I did, I got sick.
Yes, really....lots of tourists. Had not been there in a long time so I was surprised by it. TL's is a bit more than the take out window they were. There's an eating area and they needed line control for the number of patrons. It's probably needed more in the summer when I was there.

East Oregon Ave gets better going westward toward Broad St. Surrounding streets, like Shunk, still have fine looking homes. Crossing Broad , of course, puts you pretty quickly into the Girard Estates area.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Hmmm... yeah, most of the lights/decorations are on 13th. You should have seen some of it since 13th crosses Passyunk.
The part in video is near Tasker and Morris Sts.

East Passyunk is great. It was always okay but even better now. All the national foodies know about it. But, it still is very much Philly/S. Philly. Still very local in tone/feel, imo.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I live two blocks from here and it's such a great display. Gets better every year.

One funny thing is that so many people drive through in their cars. It's like the people who visit a state park and never get out of the car.
There are some youtube videos of it from past years with people in their cars! Heavens you can't really see all the detail from a car!

Although Cory 's video is very short, the music is wonderful. I listened to it with good speakers....just enchanting. The baby's face looking at it all. So cute, adorable!

Old 12-20-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmmm... yeah, most of the lights/decorations are on 13th. You should have seen some of it since 13th crosses Passyunk.
The part in video is near Tasker and Morris Sts.

East Passyunk is great. It was always okay but even better now. All the national foodies know about it. But, it still is very much Philly/S. Philly. Still very local in tone/feel, imo.
That's one of the best parts IMO. The old mixed with the new. So far (fingers crossed), we have mostly all local places. The new Spanish Tapas place is from a small restaurant chain out of town, but still pretty unique. So many offerings on the avenue.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
That's one of the best parts IMO. The old mixed with the new. So far (fingers crossed), we have mostly all local places. The new Spanish Tapas place is from a small restaurant chain out of town, but still pretty unique. So many offerings on the avenue.
I have not been there since last summer, so it's nice to hear that local " control" is still dominant.

Every eating establishment in Fairmount/Fairmount Ave, which is my main drag, is locally owned.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:08 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,853,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

South Philly does Christmas the best by far. I was just at the pizza place on the corner there-FrancoLuigis.

Several years ago my block in Germantown had the Christmas lights crossing the street from house to house, but there doesn't seem to be enough interest to start it back up. It looks awesome though-I love walking around South Philly this time of year.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
South Philly does Christmas the best by far. I was just at the pizza place on the corner there-FrancoLuigis.

Several years ago my block in Germantown had the Christmas lights crossing the street from house to house, but there doesn't seem to be enough interest to start it back up. It looks awesome though-I love walking around South Philly this time of year.
I love FrancoLuigi's pizza and most of the staff, except...Franco himself. That guy's a total self-absorbed d**k. His joint would do even better if he stayed out of the place so customers didn't have to deal with him.

And I agree, South Philly is great at Xmas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia