U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM

7 posts, read 4,927 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Miami and I am trying to decide between T/E School District (where I grew up!) and the Radnor schools District. I have a HS sophomore and a 7th Grader. My 7th grader has dysgraphia and I am concerned about finding a school that can help him with writing skills and executive function/organizational skills. He is also on the shy side, and I'm wondering how friendly or mean the kids are in Valley Forge vs Radnor middle school.

While both districts are highly rated, what is more difficult to suss out is the overall culture at the school and how well they work with kids with learning disabilities. I'm leaning towards Radnor, because I have heard they have great writing programs for kids with learning disabilities. But, Valley Forge MS is supposed to be great too. I'm also concerned with the attitude of the HS kids. Conestoga has had some very bad press lately regarding hazing and drugs.

-What do you like or dislike about these 2 school districts?
-What are the programs like for kids with learning disabilities?
-What is the student culture like at the high school level?
-Is one district friendlier for new students than the other?
-How much of an issue is bullying these days?
-What are the parents like, in general are they welcoming to new people? Down to earth? Snobby?
(reading a lot about the "snob factor", but I grew up in Radnor and I live in a pretty snobby neighborhood now)

Thank you so much for any other insight you would care to share!

Last edited by MiamiCrew; 05-27-2016 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 05:17 PM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
I do not know much about the programs for learning disabilities within each district, but they are both among the best in the nation performance wise, I am sure either choice will work out fine for you.

As far as culture, Radnor may be a bit snobbier due to the older more blue blood neighbohoods. T/E is a newer area development wise so you may find more transplant and down to earth families. I wouldn't say either area is overwhelmingly snobby, but the closer you get to the quintessential "Main Line" towns the snob factor may increase. Your money may also take you further in T/E if you are looking to only spend a certain amount.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:53 AM

Thank you cpomp!

Old 05-28-2016, 09:00 PM

283 posts, read 366,892 times
Both schools are good, it shouldn't really make a difference which one you pick, I'd go with whichever living situation makes you happiest.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Thank you for the reply!

Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 PM

54 posts, read 58,738 times
Radnor HS + MS are pretty good.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:11 PM

58 posts, read 51,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaR11 View Post
Miami Crew,

I'm also moving to the area from Miami and am trying to make the same decision now. I'm wondering which town and school you decided on and how is it going?

Have you found it difficult to create a community? I've heard the main line is difficult to break into because most people are born and raised there and it's extremely tight knit and slightly closed off. I'm a little nervous about the move.

Wondering what your experience has been so far?
Melissa,

I've been reading some of the posts and notice your apprehension about your upcoming move, I thought maybe hearing from me may offer some reassurance. I'm moving to the area as well, currently live about 2 hours north but have lived all over the east coast and in 2 different countries. I've over researched everything and came to the conclusion that no amount of research can be more important than how you feel when you're in a location and/or in a home... going there and feeling it has been the best guide for me, (and not just tours of the area as a whole and house tours with a realtor)- walking around, going in shops and restaurants, seeing the schools, talking to people- all of those things proved more useful in my decision.

As for pretentious people, I have found snobs in every location I have lived, no matter where you go you will find people who think they're better than you, than everyone but I have also found that people like this are easily avoided when you focus on the good of each area. For what it's worth, one of our recent trips to the area for a day with our realtor was very hectic for us schedule wise, we had only 12 hours to spend before having to leave town and had just come in from Boston overnight- we were exhausted and not looking our best. After visiting 10 different homes with our realtor we called it a day and headed straight to dinner at The White Dog Cafe in Bryn Mawr, I was wearing lululemon and sneakers and STILL didn't feel like anyone was looking down on me or being pretentious. And actually, I politely interrupted the family dining next to us to ask them for advice on moving, schools etc... they didn't brush me off with as little info as possible, they were extremely friendly, helpful and full of information and advice. So while I'm sure I will run into someone pretentious at some point, I haven't yet and have been pleasantly surprised.

Also, if I remember correctly you said your kids were young? That may make the transition easier too. My children are 3.5 and 1.5 and I feel that moving before they're in kindergarten may help.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2016, 04:02 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaR11 View Post
Miami Crew,

I'm also moving to the area from Miami and am trying to make the same decision now. I'm wondering which town and school you decided on and how is it going?

Have you found it difficult to create a community? I've heard the main line is difficult to break into because most people are born and raised there and it's extremely tight knit and slightly closed off. I'm a little nervous about the move.

Wondering what your experience has been so far?
Although there are a lot of lifers on the Main Line, there's also a decent number of transplants since its a well-known area and for families moving to (or even within) the region. It's not like an up-and-coming exurb where everyone is setting roots around the same time, but there's probably more turnover than most of Philadelphia's inner ring suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia