U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 4,927 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working in Bethlehem, and we will be living in the Devon-Wayne-Radnor-Villanova area. Yes, I know...it's a long commute!!
But, living elsewhere is not an option.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has done this commute and can share your experience with the drive. He'd be taking 476 to the Turnpike.

Thanks for any insight you can share!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 01:52 PM

1,616 posts, read 3,321,877 times
Find am alternate route for when there is an accident on the NE extension and the turnpike gets shut down. Happens more than I care to remember.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:16 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,516,219 times
I would take 476 to Quakertown instead of Allentown to avoid eastbound Route 22 (parking lot) in the morning. Get off at Quakertown, 663 to Allentown Road to Main St Coopersburg to Rt. 378. Don't take 663 to 309, that is a waste of time.

Alternate route if the NE Extension is messed up or closed could be 476 to 276 to 309 to 378 but will take considerably longer.

NE Extension gets randomly delayed at the moment due to construction and accidents, but northbound traffic in the morning and southbound in the evening is light. 378 will be slow coming down the hill into Bethlehem in the morning.

This is sort of a reverse-commute so it's better than going the other direction. I'm thinking it will take 65-75 minutes depending on where in Bethlehem/where in Devon, etc., assuming no mess-ups on 476.

Get EZ Pass if he doesn't have it, it will save on time and frustration.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:38 PM

1,243 posts, read 799,046 times
I've commuted for meetings in Bethlehem and it looked like I was going against the traffic. The bottle neck was on route 22, I think there is construction or lane reduction. It will add 10 to 15 minutes to his commute.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:11 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiCrew View Post
My husband will be working in Bethlehem, and we will be living in the Devon-Wayne-Radnor-Villanova area. Yes, I know...it's a long commute!!
But, living elsewhere is not an option.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has done this commute and can share your experience with the drive. He'd be taking 476 to the Turnpike.

Thanks for any insight you can share!!
You said you're moving to the Area. Unless you're splitting a commute to, say, Delaware, why isn't elsewhere an option? I know you're looking for top schools with good special ed programs, but they're hardly absent from the Northern and Northwestern suburbs.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 AM

7 posts, read 4,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
You said you're moving to the Area. Unless you're splitting a commute to, say, Delaware, why isn't elsewhere an option? I know you're looking for top schools with good special ed programs, but they're hardly absent from the Northern and Northwestern suburbs.
The Philadelphia area is blessed with an abundant choice of amazing school districts!

But, I'd like to stick to the original intent of the thread, which is hearing about others commuting experiences, rather than debate where we will be living.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:01 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
You haven't posted this in the Lehigh Valley forum yet but when you do, we will all tell you it's a horrible commute and suggest you find an alternative. There are bottlenecks in several portions of that commute no matter which roads you take. There's major construction on the Northeast extension of the turnpike, from Plymouth Meeting to Quakertown exit. Right now it's just north of Lansdale, but that's going to keep going as the intention is to widen the highway up to the Allentown exit. Traffic on the northeast extension isn't nearly as bad as it is on 476 south of Plymouth meeting, where it's no longer the turnpike, but locally called "The Blue Route", that backs up with volume alone. I don't know how it is going to Radnor from the Blue Route, but it's not to far from the exit, so maybe that part is okay.

Once you exit the northeast extension at Quakertown (as John Z says, you wouldn't go up to the Allentown exit), you'll hit all of our non-expressway roads with stop lights and deer and not so well plowed roads in the winter. Yes, most people I know have hit one deer. In our family, I think we've hit at least four. Route 378 going into Bethlehem also backs up. Like I said, a real stinky commute. It's not the distance, it's the roads. On the maybe not so bad side, is I do think you would be doing a reverse commute, so that may save you. Maybe.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:52 PM

883 posts, read 530,206 times
Let me put it this way. I have a coworker who lives in Bethlehem and works in Malvern. She works 7-3:30 so that she can get the heck out of dodge before a great majority of other folks, and her commute home still stinks. Yes, she's going the opposite direction, but my point is, she's up at 4 just to get here at 7 so she can leave at 3:30 to get home by 5 or later. Not the kind of life I'd want, but hey, whatever works for you.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:55 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,271,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiCrew View Post
The Philadelphia area is blessed with an abundant choice of amazing school districts!

But, I'd like to stick to the original intent of the thread, which is hearing about others commuting experiences, rather than debate where we will be living.
Wasn't a debate, it was just curiosity. Clearly your location is still up for grabs since you mentioned four different towns. Therefore, it's natural for people to wonder why those four towns are the only ones in the mix. If you don't want to share, that's fine. But you've got your answer, and that apparently is, the commute will be h*ll.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:05 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I've commuted for meetings in Bethlehem and it looked like I was going against the traffic. The bottle neck was on route 22, I think there is construction or lane reduction. It will add 10 to 15 minutes to his commute.
Route 22 is North of Bethlehem, staying on the turnpike to reach 22 itself adds 15 minutes to the commute. Of course, I don't know where the OP will be working, but the most direct way is getting off at the Quakertown exit and angling Northeast towards Bethlehem.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia