U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 09:04 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
NYC traffic is really only bad approaching the bridge & tunnel bottlenecks (of which there are many, across all 5 boroughs) at high traffic times. In Manhattan, central park creates additional bottlenecks around 59th street. Around Canal street is bad mainly because one end is the manhattan bridge bottleneck, and the other end is the holland tunnel bottleneck.

I don't think Philly traffic is especially bad as far as major american cities go. The NYC archipelago is perhaps a special case, but Chicago, DC, Atlanta, Boston all seem worse in my experience.
True-Long Island can be but I used to love driving in NYC, especially down the Henry Hudson/West Side Highway from The Bronx-really not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 11:11 AM

288 posts, read 161,897 times
The problem with Philly and DE and this whole 95 corridor is that there are NO parkways - EVERYTHING is an expressway. There are so many trucks from the various ports up and down between DC-PHL that congest 95-476-202-1, etc. NYC has many roadways devoted to just cars (Northern State, Southern State, Grand Central, Hutch, etc.) and thankfully the NJT is 6 lanes for its relevant length. But we are stuck with 3 lanes with left-lane on-ramps going through a half-vacant ghetto (95 in Chester) or 2-lane highways whose congestion causes more pollution than if it were 3 lanes in the first place (476).

Old 06-08-2016, 11:06 AM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
The problem with Philly and DE and this whole 95 corridor is that there are NO parkways - EVERYTHING is an expressway. There are so many trucks from the various ports up and down between DC-PHL that congest 95-476-202-1, etc. NYC has many roadways devoted to just cars (Northern State, Southern State, Grand Central, Hutch, etc.) and thankfully the NJT is 6 lanes for its relevant length. But we are stuck with 3 lanes with left-lane on-ramps going through a half-vacant ghetto (95 in Chester) or 2-lane highways whose congestion causes more pollution than if it were 3 lanes in the first place (476).
You do realize that increased traffic capacity just invites more traffic, right? Even if it was possible to widen the Schuylkill Expressway, for example, there's absolutely no assurance that congestion would be alleviated: What’s Up With That: Building Bigger Roads Actually Makes Traffic Worse | WIRED

I just find complaints about Philly traffic so laughable compared to truly insufferable traffic cities on the East Coast like DC, NYC and to a lesser extent, Boston. In fact, despite being a top 10 US urban area, Philly doesn't even appear on the top 10 most congested cities: INRIX 2015 Traffic Scorecard - INRIX, whereas the three former cities do.

If anything, more attention needs to be paid to the condition of current infrastructure, which is far more crucial than increasing capacity. Over time, current traffic conditions will "force the market" to use more public transit or live in more walkable/bikeable areas, which is far more sustainable over the long term.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-08-2016 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-09-2016, 07:56 PM

764 posts, read 581,218 times
It is an old city that was planned from the ground up. Old streets, old infrastructure. Haven't you seen the narrow streets with cars partially parked on the sidewalk? Broad St. in South Philly also allows you to park on the median.

As far as bad light coordination, I don't really know as coming from NJ my road rage is so bad that I cut thru side streets to avoid lights. NE sucks on any day, with all that roadwork on 95 from Andalusia to the Ben Franklin Bridge, supposedly they've been working on that for 20+ years. I hate driving through there in the left lane, it's like a tightrope ride, one little slip up and smash into the wall! Roosevelt Blvd makes Queens Blvd look like a breeze. I avoid that road like the plague, but Bustleton Ave is always clogged too and it is hard not to catch lights on that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or