U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:44 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,638,128 times

Advertisements

First time visiting here. It is really bad. Some things i noticed:

Way too many one way streets.
Lack of traffic light coordination
Lights do not stay green long enough. In manhattan, there is congestion but it is manageable because you get long strings of green lights.

Is this locally recognized as a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 10:06 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Yes, poor signal coordination was used to slow traffic down but doesn't really work for anyone. Manhattan has very expensive tolls which help reduce the number of cars getting to and from the island which also reduces congestion. Imo two way streets would be a better way to slow traffic down the poor signal coordination.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:12 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
First time visiting here. It is really bad. Some things i noticed:

Way too many one way streets.
Lack of traffic light coordination
Lights do not stay green long enough. In manhattan, there is congestion but it is manageable because you get long strings of green lights.

Is this locally recognized as a problem?
Well, hmmm... I've been in Manhattan plenty of times, on 9th Ave, for instance, while the bus I was on was trying to get to the Lincoln Tunnel and the traffic was ..... Same with 5th Ave south of 59th. TONS of traffic barely moving. But, hell, it's New York so one should expect it. And, yes, I do use the subways in NYC but not always for various reasons.

To respond to you, yes, you're right to a certain extend about Phila. The one way streets are really necessary, imo, in Center City, because streets are so narrow. Chestnut and Walnut do have timed green lights to enhance traffic flow. But that's more true where they run through W. Philly.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:00 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
I have said before that more lights should be timed, as is the case in NYC. Broad Street has timed lights which is nice when you catch it, but many streets just don't make sense how the lights are timed-It must have been to "slow down" traffic.

I love the one way streets personally, but it's true Philly is a much better city for those on foot/bike instead of car.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:24 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I have said before that more lights should be timed, as is the case in NYC. Broad Street has timed lights which is nice when you catch it, but many streets just don't make sense how the lights are timed-It must have been to "slow down" traffic.

I love the one way streets personally, but it's true Philly is a much better city for those on foot/bike instead of car.
Everyone, don't hold your breath about Philly lights being better timed eventually. It's been the way it is for as long as I can remember and that's before many of you were born. I even remember my Dad complaining about it in the 60s/70s.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:24 AM

7,085 posts, read 8,214,674 times
One way streets are best for CC and other neighborhhods with streets too narrow to accommodate 2 way traffic. I don't think William Penn had combustion engine vehicles in mind when he chartered Philly's grid.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:30 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
The pattern continues. Other places (big shot places like NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.) are "allowed" to be congested. Lowly Philadelphia, for whatever reason, is not.

This thread is nonsense. I can't believe I'm the first responder to say so.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:21 AM

178 posts, read 283,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
The pattern continues. Other places (big shot places like NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.) are "allowed" to be congested. Lowly Philadelphia, for whatever reason, is not.

This thread is nonsense. I can't believe I'm the first responder to say so.
Kind of agree with this. Sure there are parts of the city that are congested at time, especially narrower roads through Center City where traffic does seem to move at a snails pace during the day and can get seriously backed up by one double-parked car or construction vehicle or garbage truck. But to claim that it is worse in Philly than other major cities is just incorrect. Main arterial roads typically move okay even during busy times... I can drive from outside the western city limits to the heart of Center City during peak rush hour in about 25-30 minutes. That's pretty good for a dense city of over 1 million. Actually, the freeways coming into Philly often are a lot worse than the streets in the city itself.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:28 AM

33,070 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The best way to slow down traffic is to time the lights so that drivers hit a string of green lights traveling the speed limit. It works, yet Philadelphia hasn't caught on yet.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:27 AM

6,227 posts, read 5,562,899 times
University City purposely has lights on opposite signals on Market, Chestnut, and Walnut because of the high volume of students crossing the intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or