U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 PM

6,216 posts, read 3,048,381 times

Advertisements

The 69th Street Terminal area may have a low-class rep, but it is something of an ethnic feast food-wise.

Besides the H Mart, which I used to stop at often when I worked at Widener University and lived in Center City (deliberately taking the 109 bus and the El rather than the R2 Wilmington/Newark or R3 Media/Elwyn lines home), there are Peruvian, Indian, Mexican and Korean restaurants that I know of.

And with H&M taking over the upper floors of the exuberant John H. McClatchy Building right across Market Street/West Chester Pike from the terminal (McClatchy was a developer who built a number of residential subdivisions in the city and its close-in suburbs in the 1920s), I think its rep may be improving. The Tower Theater doesn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 01:59 PM

256 posts, read 343,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The 69th Street Terminal area may have a low-class rep, but it is something of an ethnic feast food-wise.
Yeah, I've never been to 69th street, but I hear Upper Darby is a pretty rough area. Maybe not on par with somewhere like Camden New Jersey, or even inner city Wilmington, but still not a place anyone on here advises living.

How is walking around 69th street at night as far as safety? Is it well lit/patrolled?

Old 05-21-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
Yeah, I've never been to 69th street, but I hear Upper Darby is a pretty rough area. Maybe not on par with somewhere like Camden New Jersey, or even inner city Wilmington, but still not a place anyone on here advises living.

How is walking around 69th street at night as far as safety? Is it well lit/patrolled?
Well, first of all, let me advise you that Upper Darby is the most populous township in Pennsylvania, with a population of somewhere around 85,000.

It's also pretty large geographically and has a wide range of neighborhoods in it. Those closest to 69th Street Terminal are generally the least well-off, but I wouldn't characterize any of them as in Camden's category.

There are some very nice neighborhoods in UD as well. Drexel Hill is probably the nicest. The school district is only middling, though.

The shopping center gets pretty desolate at night. The two theaters - the United Artists movie theater and the Tower Theater concert venue - do add life, though, and I don't hear much about rough stuff going on when the movies or concerts let out.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:10 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,390,380 times
The main reason Upper Darby may have roughness is because of adjacent Darby and West Philly, rather than Upper Darby itself.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:21 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,027,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
The main reason Upper Darby may have roughness is because of adjacent Darby and West Philly, rather than Upper Darby itself.
Darby isn't actually adjacent to Upper Darby... the two are separated by multiple boroughs such as Lansdowne, East Lansdowne, Yeadon, Aldan, etc.

Anyway, 69th Street Terminal is a freaking sh!thole. The neighborhood around it is NOT safe (despite what propaganda would lead one to believe). How any of the chain retail establishments on 69th Street stay open is beyond me. But plenty have already closed. That area is like a Bermuda Triangle where businesses don't last long, yet new businesses keep opening, only to repeat the cycle and go out of business. It's truly a revolving door of a situation.

And I have ridden the 101 trolley... it really sucks, for several entirely unrelated reasons. Find another public transit line (preferably NOT one affiliated with SEPTA) to rely on.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post

And I have ridden the 101 trolley... it really sucks, for several entirely unrelated reasons. Find another public transit line (preferably NOT one affiliated with SEPTA) to rely on.
If you live within the five-county Southeastern Pennsylvania region and are traveling between points within it via public transit, that's an impossibility, save for a few bus routes operated either by private companies under contract to SEPTA or by Transportation Management Agencies (TMAs) in Bucks and Montgomery counties (these are all shuttle routes through office parks or from Regional Rail stations to office areas).

Aside from those, SEPTA is the sole provider of local transit service within the five-county region. Love it or hate it (and it gives you ample reason to do both), it's what you use if/when you don't want to use a car or bike to travel longer distances within the region.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:15 AM

288 posts, read 161,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Love it or hate it (and it gives you ample reason to do both), it's what you use if/when you don't want to use a car or bike to travel longer distances within the region.
This is why so many people drive in/out of Philly and parking is always complained about. See: 76/422/676/95
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or