U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2016, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Northern Califonia
256 posts, read 343,527 times
Reputation: 165

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently renting in Wilmington, but we are looking into the possibility of buying a house in Media. We have been through the town a couple of times and like it. I think the trolley line is neat looking, but I was wondering what benefit does it provide? I just know that it doesn't go into Philly. But, what are some of the points of interest where it does go? Would there ever be a time where my wife and I would say something like, "let's go to (destination X) tonight, and hop on the trolley instead of driving because it's more convenient"?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-05-2016 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2016, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,283 posts, read 1,881,190 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
My wife and I are currently renting in Wilmington, but we are looking into the possibility of buying a house in Media. We have been through the town a couple of times and like it. I think the trolley line is neat looking, but I was wondering what benefit does it provide? I just know that it doesn't go into Philly. But, what are some of the points of interest where it does go? Would there ever be a time where my wife and I would say something like, "let's go to (destination X) tonight, and hop on the trolley instead of driving because it's more convenient"?

The trolley comes into 69th street where you can switch to the Market Frankford Line to go to Center City Philadelphia. I've taken it a couple of times just as a railfan and it seemed to be the most common reason to ride it. It can be a good option because it's cheaper and has better frequencies than the regional rail (which also serves Media).

The only other really notable place on the trip is the Springfield Mall - which I can't really speak too. It mostly just goes through what seem to be mundane Delaware County towns and neighborhoods.

I personally think it's terminal point of 69th street is an interesting place, but it has a pretty bad reputation. There are several cheap ethnic restaurants, a movie theater, and the tower theater. But that's just me.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-05-2016 at 06:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 PM
 
Location: The City of Brotherly Love
1,143 posts, read 811,104 times
Reputation: 2860
While it is true that the suburban trolleys don't go to Philly, you can still make a connection to the Market-Frankford Line at 69th Street Terminal. You can also travel to the Springfield Mall, as it has a stop along the route.

In the future, you will be able to connect to the 100 and travel to the King of Prussia Mall (if they ever follow through with the project as proposed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 AM
 
633 posts, read 491,807 times
Reputation: 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
My wife and I are currently renting in Wilmington, but we are looking into the possibility of buying a house in Media. We have been through the town a couple of times and like it. I think the trolley line is neat looking, but I was wondering what benefit does it provide? I just know that it doesn't go into Philly. But, what are some of the points of interest where it does go? Would there ever be a time where my wife and I would say something like, "let's go to (destination X) tonight, and hop on the trolley instead of driving because it's more convenient"?
My wife takes the trolley to commute into Philadelphia occasionally because its cheaper than regional rail, and runs more frequently.


The 101 trolley DOES run right into the city by way of 69th street terminal. 101 to the market frankford EL and you're downtown in maybe 45 minutes or so. It's also a convenient way to get yourself back and forth to certain locations in delco (Springfield mall, Drexel hill, The tower theatre etc) without having to worry about getting stuck in traffic during rush hour.


it's generally a nice option to have, and makes a car less necessary for those living in the area.


Quote:
In the future, you will be able to connect to the 100 and travel to the King of Prussia Mall (if they ever follow through with the project as proposed).

you can pick up the 100 at 69th street terminal to get you to king of Prussia. A bus/shuttle will just take you for the last mile or so of the trip at gulph mills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
My wife takes the trolley to commute into Philadelphia occasionally because its cheaper than regional rail, and runs more frequently.


The 101 trolley DOES run right into the city by way of 69th street terminal. 101 to the market frankford EL and you're downtown in maybe 45 minutes or so. It's also a convenient way to get yourself back and forth to certain locations in delco (Springfield mall, Drexel hill, The tower theatre etc) without having to worry about getting stuck in traffic during rush hour.


it's generally a nice option to have, and makes a car less necessary for those living in the area.





you can pick up the 100 at 69th street terminal to get you to king of Prussia. A bus/shuttle will just take you for the last mile or so of the trip at gulph mills.
Nope, the 101 trolley never gets into Philly since 69th St Teminal is in Upper Darby Twp. The first MFL station, eastbound, out of the Terminal that's actually in the city, is 63rd St. But you are correct in that it's pretty seamless traveling to Center City via the 101 and MFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Northern Califonia
256 posts, read 343,527 times
Reputation: 165
Yes, it seems more practical to just catch the SEPTA than the 101 if going into Philly, so there is no transfer.

Would there be any other reason for going to 69th street for nightlife besides a show at the Tower Theater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2017, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Reputation: 2635
That trolley line is over 100 years old.

Hate to say it but its best days were 50-75 years ago with the not so graceful aging of eastern Delaware County.

They need to build a trolley the other direction to connect Media to West Chester . Now that would be a nice leisurely scenic ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM
 
1,506 posts, read 1,390,380 times
Reputation: 842
Youngprodigy, There's an H-mart off the Fairfield Ave stop (or if you miss it, just walk from 69th St. for Asian groceries, and I believe there is an Indian one nearby as well.

Last edited by chessimprov; 05-18-2017 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Forgot to quote a post, so adding who I am addressing my answer to instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
That trolley line is over 100 years old.

Hate to say it but its best days were 50-75 years ago with the not so graceful aging of eastern Delaware County.

They need to build a trolley the other direction to connect Media to West Chester . Now that would be a nice leisurely scenic ride.
You mean re-build it? It was foolishly removed years ago...

WC History: When trolleys roamed the Brandywine Valley | Downtown West Chester PA - West Chester BID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 PM
 
1,506 posts, read 1,390,380 times
Reputation: 842
youngprodigy21, I forgot to mention, there is also a new movie theater (or newly renovated?) off of 69th St about 1 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top