Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 10:47 AM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ashland is an unincorporated community that's in both Cherry Hill & Voorhees.
Forgot about Ashland. There is also Echelon while we're at it. But I've never seen envelopes addressed with those names on them. Can they do that? The zip code for Voorhees is all 08043. Cherry Hill has three, 08002, 08003 and 08034 and AFAIK they all say Cherry Hill when you google them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 10:54 AM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Everything in Evesham Township is Marlton post office. There's a Medford Village and Medford Lakes Borough, but it's all the same zip code.
Right but I have seen both "Evesham, NJ" and "Marlton, NJ" addressed envelopes and stuff. It is all 08053. I don't know anything about Medford. I know people who live in Medford Lakes but never visited. I have an uncle who wanted to move there but my aunt didn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I get what you mean about townships being a subdivision of a county. If you live out in the country in, say, Venango County, you are a township. The township is the local government and they provide the services.
I've seen Falls Twp police cars in my neighborhood. I also get emails from the township about hydrant flushing twice a year. I stand corrected. But what is this Lower Bucks County Joint Municipal Authority thing?

Old 06-11-2016, 11:49 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
That was one thing I noticed about it here when I moved from NJ. Townships in PA are just subdivisions of the county, and the towns are just zip code tabulation areas. My town exists in portions of three townships in Bucks County. Jersey I believe is the only state that is fully incorporated and towns all have distinct boundaries.
Nope, our town in south jersey is in 2 townships. We pay both townships for different services.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:23 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
You do realize you can Google this, correct?
Yes. This list was part pointing out odd things and part questioning them.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:39 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Forgot about Ashland. There is also Echelon while we're at it. But I've never seen envelopes addressed with those names on them. Can they do that? The zip code for Voorhees is all 08043. Cherry Hill has three, 08002, 08003 and 08034 and AFAIK they all say Cherry Hill when you google them.
Echelon is an unincorporated community, not a town.

No idea what's going on in Lower Bucks. A friend lives in Bensalem, but it's never come up.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:48 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
I wasn't using "town" as a technical term. I live in Levittown, which is a census-designated place and zip code tabulation area in Pennsylvania. My township is Falls, but you don't address an envelope "Falls, PA", or "Middletown, PA" for Levittown. The only time you address an envelope "Bristol, PA" is when referring to Bristol Boro or areas of Bristol Twp outside of Levittown, Croydon or Newportville which are other unincorporated areas within Bristol Twp. From what I understand, Langhorne is the name that is used for Middletown Twp when referring to areas beyond Levittown, and there is also Parkland and Woodbourne, which I'm not sure if you address an envelope with those names or not, I've never seen it. Fairless Hills is also split between Falls and Bristol Townships. There is also Tullytown Borough which also contains some of Levittown, but I've seen Tullytown as an address.

One thing I haven't quite figured out is what constitutes Feasterville and what constitutes Trevose. I know it's mostly Lower Southampton Twp, but Trevose is supposed to be split between LS and Bensalem Twps. All of Bensalem is in Bensalem Twp, but not all of Bensalem Twp is Bensalem. There is Cornwells Heights, Eddington and Andalusia as well and they all use the same zip code. Feasterville appears to be mostly centered around the intersection of Street Rd and Bustleton Ave while Trevose is centered around Street Rd and Trevose Ave which extends from Brownsville Rd, correct? On the Lower Southampton/Bensalem Twp line. But where does Trevose end and Feasterville begin?

In New Jersey, the name of an area is usually the township's name and what constitutes its boundaries and stuff. This is all I am saying. Cherry Hill is a township. Voorhees is a township. And no other names are used in place of those. OK, Evesham includes Marlton which is a historic area that is a few blocks and because that is where their post office is, "Marlton" is often used in place of the township's name, but this is the exception to the rule in NJ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_co...s_zoning_lines

Quote:
A ZIP code's address and the city name written on the same line do not necessarily mean that address is within the boundaries of that city. The Postal Service designates one preferred place name for each ZIP code. This may be an actual incorporated town or city, a subentity of a large city or an unincorporated census-designated place, or a small unincorporated community. Additional place names may be recognized as acceptable for a certain ZIP code. Still others are deemed not acceptable, and if used may result in a delay in mail delivery.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So why the senseless stupid rules in the first place?
Old Quaker laws. Pennsylvania and Philadelphia were founded by Quakers and a lot of their traditions and rules have carried through. For example Sororities are illegal because they were considered to close to brothels.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:12 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Most people simply use Voorhees or Cherry Hill for Ashland locations. All people in Ashland used to use Ashland only, 40/50 years ago & all Ashland mail went through the Woodcrest post office. For a while, they addressed their mail Ashland, Woodcrest, Cherry Hill. That all fizzled out with automation of mail sorting.

For that matter, if you find an old enough map, you can find Erlton & Ellisburg listed within Delaware Township, which became Cherry Hill.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 13,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Start with the 18th amendment to the US Constitution which prohibited legal alcohol sales in the
US for 13 years which was ultimately ended by the 21st amendment. PA state government ended up controlling the distribution of alcohol after that and still does today.

I agree it's dumb to continue with such archaic system. But the PA Liquor Control Board controls it all, including beer sales and bar liquor licenses. The state liquor(wine and spirits shops) stores make a lot income for the state. It's going to be difficult to change for that fact alone.
Actually they really don't make very much for the state. As a matter of fact for the first time in their audit last year they had to add their medical and pension liability like any other business and they are 240 million in the red. That 80 million transfer will shrink quickly. They exist currently as a patronage jobs program backed by the UFCW union.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:19 AM

633 posts, read 640,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoo View Post
Old Quaker laws. Pennsylvania and Philadelphia were founded by Quakers and a lot of their traditions and rules have carried through. For example Sororities are illegal because they were considered to close to brothels.
This isn't true, really. Quakers were long gone (or at least culturally irrelevant and few in number) by the time the PLCB was created. The reason why PA has the liquor set up it does, is because of prohibition. Alcohol was illegal EVERYWHERE until the 21st amendment was passed. PA was one of the states not too happy about alcohol becoming legal across the board (PA was one of the last to ratify the 21st, and did so via a convention that bypassed the state legislature), but was the only one to establish a state run liquor control board to regulate all alcohol sales. Why did it do this?

Quote:
The PLCB was established in conjunction with the 21st Amendment and the repeal of prohibition. In 1933, just four days before the sale of alcohol became legal in Pennsylvania, the Board was officially organized. Upon its creation, Governor Gifford Pinchot stated that the purpose of the Board was to "discourage the purchase of alcoholic beverages by making it as inconvenient and expensive as possible."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsy..._Control_Board

Basically the PLCB was established as an F-You to the passing of the 21st amendment. Other states have or had blue laws to make the sale of alcohol inconvenient, but PA was the only one that designed an entire state run distribution system to make it as difficult as possible.

It's stuck around as long as it has because it turns out that the PLCB is quite profitable for the state and it's worker unions, and anti-alcohol groups like MADD and religious organizations see privatization and expanded access to alcohol as a bad thing.

edit: the brothel thing is also urban legend and has never been true.

http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/brothel.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia