Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Kroger tried to negotiate with A&P. They might come into the area, yet. They own Harris Teeter, which is in some of Delaware.
A&P would have required a complete overhaul. Closing too many stores, undergoing many leadership changes, and two fatal bankruptcies, A&P ran its course.

Harris Teeter expanding into Pennsylvania would be a bold move. I wonder if that may be an objective with its new Carolina County, Virginia, distribution center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295
I'm more inclined to think that Publix is headed for Philadelphia.
Publix announced in February its entry into Virginia with two stores. I would not be surprised to see it expand into Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 08:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Maybe he & his cape will come to grand openings in NC!
Wegmans will probably slow down in the Philadelphia area when they enter NC. They only build so many stores per year.
Having a low store count in its six-state footprint could work against Wegman's.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:59 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Having a low store count in its six-state footprint could work against Wegman's.
IIRC Genuardi's didn't have all that many stores in the Greater Philadelphia market relative to its rivals (Super Fresh, Pathmark, ShopRite, and especially Acme), but it did quite well because of how the chain treated its shoppers and what it carried.

Wegmans enjoys a similar reputation - actually, an even higher one than Genuardi's had. And its stores are larger than its rivals' and carry more merchandise (as I noted above).

IOW, they're doing more with less (number of stores).

Old 06-20-2016, 06:03 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Acme, a division of Albertson's, has fared better than A&P.
I think one reason some may look upon Acme as "failed" is because many in this area can remember when Acme was THE dominant supermarket chain, far outpacing all its competitors in number of stores, total sales and maybe even sales per store, though I'm not sure it was so dominant in that last metric.

Acme used to account for about two-thirds of all grocery sales in the region. And with the various changes at the top - remember, today's Albertsons is not the Albertson's that bought the company back in the 1990s - the chain lost some of its mojo. Current Albertsons ownership, however, probably stands the strongest chance of getting some of that mojo back for Acme.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
A&P would have required a complete overhaul. Closing too many stores, undergoing many leadership changes, and two fatal bankruptcies, A&P ran its course.

Harris Teeter expanding into Pennsylvania would be a bold move. I wonder if that may be an objective with its new Carolina County, Virginia, distribution center.

Publix announced in February its entry into Virginia with two stores. I would not be surprised to see it expand into Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia.
The loss of stores in northern Delaware, South Jersey, & Philadelphia in recent years means that there's room for others. Pathmark did a decent job with providing ethnic groceries. Compare Foods, out of NY, has stores in NC. Why they haven't moved into areas formerly served by Pathmark is a mystery to me.

Currently, a Mexican family is opening Hispanic stores in the Charlotte area called Wow Supermarket. I've googled them & it appears that there is a Philadelphia connection.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
People tend to drive longer-than-normal distances to get to Wegmans. The Cherry Hill store was the lone Wegmans in South Jersey until fairly recently, when they opened a 2nd South Jersey store in Mt Laurel.

Someone in Center City, without a car, could get to the Cherry Hill Wegmans by taking the PATCO train to Haddonfield & then taking the bus headed for the Cherry Hill Mall.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:06 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
Someone in Center City, without a car, could get to the Cherry Hill Wegmans by taking the PATCO train to Haddonfield & then taking the bus headed for the Cherry Hill Mall.
As someone who is car-addicted, I can't even imagine that. That's insane, (IMHO)

As for a low store count, I don't think that's an issue for Wegman's. It's plenty popular and doing plenty of business.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
As someone who is car-addicted, I can't even imagine that. That's insane, (IMHO)

As for a low store count, I don't think that's an issue for Wegman's. It's plenty popular and doing plenty of business.
If someone lives in Center City without a car they could go to the Cherry Hill Wegmans without a hideous hike. The longest walk might be to PATCO. If they have a car it would be foolish to not drive. However, lots of people in Center City don't have a car. It's a viable option for those people. Insane would be having a car but taking the public transportation option instead of driving.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:58 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
Acme and many Shoprites just plain don't carry items I use frequently, and I'm not some exotic cook. Its an odd thing.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:06 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
No argument. I just wouldn't go through all that to go to a grocery store. If that's what I had to do…surely I could find what I need closer than that. I can't see Wegman's being the. only. place. to get a given item…on that I just. HAD. to. have.

But if someone feels the need to do that. More power to them. I like the option of buying as much as I want without having to worry about how to schlep it back. I know people have those carts old ladies used to use. And that not just old ladies use them. I'm just glad I can drive to where I want. But I'm not the live in Center City or public transit type, anyway. But some one has to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia