U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:23 PM

23,170 posts, read 28,586,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
No argument. I just wouldn't go through all that to go to a grocery store. If that's what I had to do…surely I could find what I need closer than that. I can't see Wegman's being the. only. place. to get a given item…on that I just. HAD. to. have.

But if someone feels the need to do that. More power to them. I like the option of buying as much as I want without having to worry about how to schlep it back. I know people have those carts old ladies used to use. And that not just old ladies use them. I'm just glad I can drive to where I want. But I'm not the live in Center City or public transit type, anyway. But some one has to be.
I lived in Center City for a while, years ago. I mostly lived in South Jersey. I'm currently in NC, but would like to move to Center City, or thereabouts, & ditch the car at some point in the foreseeable future. Your priorities change if you're lucky enough to get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 05:21 AM

6,213 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
No argument. I just wouldn't go through all that to go to a grocery store. If that's what I had to do…surely I could find what I need closer than that. I can't see Wegman's being the. only. place. to get a given item…on that I just. HAD. to. have.

But if someone feels the need to do that. More power to them. I like the option of buying as much as I want without having to worry about how to schlep it back. I know people have those carts old ladies used to use. And that not just old ladies use them. I'm just glad I can drive to where I want. But I'm not the live in Center City or public transit type, anyway. But some one has to be.
I'm that person, and I haven't lived in Center City for five years now. Having a decent (enough) supermarket a three-block walk from me makes life very easy. Thank you, La Salle University.

I never buy produce there, though. My attitude towards Wegmans remains "Who needs Wegmans when you have the Reading Terminal Market?" I can reach the RTM as easily as I can my job; both are 2-3 blocks from the Broad Street Subway at City Hall.

For the record, I've been an RTM regular since 1984, the year after I moved here, and I was one of the poster folk for the "Philly Loves the Reading Terminal Market" marketing campaign, having written one of the 16 winning "Why I Like the Reading Terminal Market" essays that launched the campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Acme and many Shoprites just plain don't carry items I use frequently, and I'm not some exotic cook. Its an odd thing.
It is an odd thing, but it depends a lot on the store management and its surrounding neighborhood.

A new IGA-affiliated supermarket just opened in the space Pathmark occupied at 180 West Chelten Avenue (at Wayne in Germantown). It's brighter and neater than the Pathmark was and its merchandise mix has a more international flair than Pathmark's had. But I pointed out to the owner that he would do well to add Caribbean products to the mix (especially but not exclusively Jamaican), as they would sell well in this neighborhood; all of the other supermarkets on or near Chelten, including the Save-a-Lot, carry a sizable selection of such products. He said he would add them.

Something else he had, however, which I can never seem to find at other supermarkets in the area, is small cocktail sausages. I don't buy them often, but I do like to serve them when entertaining, and I do that often enough. But I guess they're not a popular item among Germantowners, or Temple-area residents for that matter.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:31 PM

701 posts, read 1,397,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Wegman's opened a brand new store in Concordville/Glen Mills (off of Baltimore Pike) last fall! To get there from Ridley (not sure how long you have lived in Delco), all you would have to is take I-95 south to US 322 and make a right onto Baltimore Pike.

Now only if Wegman's would open up a Center City location! A man can dream
Hmm, really...I could add that to my monthly Total Wine shopping trip (ssshhhhh, don't tell anyone!). And yes, I would kill for a CC location, since that's where I work!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Kroger tried to negotiate with A&P. They might come into the area, yet. They own Harris Teeter, which is in some of Delaware. I'm more inclined to think that Publix is headed for Philadelphia. I don't see Meijer showing up on the east coast, though. I'll agree with you on that.
No Beater Teeter for me. Way overpriced, if you ask me. I had that and Food Lion as my only choices when I lived down in North Carolina.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:44 PM

23,170 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
No Beater Teeter for me. Way overpriced, if you ask me. I had that and Food Lion as my only choices when I lived down in North Carolina.
Kroger cut prices when they took over the chain. Publix is giving Teeter a run for their money.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:47 PM

My sister loves her Publix down in Alabama. I admit it's nice enough when I go down to visit. Honestly, I just miss the days when I could happily get everything I needed at one grocery store.

I'll give my area ShopRite credit though: they have a very good seafood counter. Much better than Acme's. However, their meat selection is terrible. And I just don't want to have to drive through one half of RP to get to Acme, buy all that stuff, then leave it in the car on a hot day to drive all the way to the other side of RP (Essington, really) to get seafood at ShopRite. If I wanted to go to ten different stores, I'd live in CC or go live in Europe.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:50 PM

27,267 posts, read 25,865,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
No Winn-Dixie?

Old 06-28-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No Winn-Dixie?
Not in the Chapel Hill area, at least when I was there. Zillions of Food Lions and Harris Teeters.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:34 PM

7,449 posts, read 7,868,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Wegman's opened a brand new store in Concordville/Glen Mills (off of Baltimore Pike) last fall! To get there from Ridley (not sure how long you have lived in Delco), all you would have to is take I-95 south to US 322 and make a right onto Baltimore Pike.

Now only if Wegman's would open up a Center City location! A man can dream
Don't mean to confuse things but I believe the Wegman's would be taking a LEFT onto Baltimore Pike from 322. The Wegmans is off Rte 202. (the next major road south of 322)

Old 06-28-2016, 06:40 PM

764 posts, read 581,218 times
When Wegman's opened in Woodbridge, NJ my mother couldn't get enough of it. She still shops there quite often. My kid sister worked there sometime ago and hated it. Good place to shop, not so great to work I'm sure. I worked at several grocery stores but never Wegman's. For me, Shoprite was the worst. There is a Wegman's in Bucks County somewhere off the far end of Street Rd - Warminster or Warrington, one of those - does Wegman's consciously try to go into towns that start with a W?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or