Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:18 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,407 times

Advertisements

Is it my imagination, or has Acme just hit the toilet in terms of prices, selection, availability, and quality? I can't believe how bad it's gotten in recent years. They advertise things for sale, but they don't have any of the sale items in stock (lobster, for example). They advertise produce for sale, such as cauliflower, but every single head of cauliflower they stock is moldy. They'll advertise a sale on boneless, skinless chicken breasts and then not stock a single other type of chicken (such as split, bone-in breasts).

I live in a Delco suburb, and short of a) travelling to Springfield and dealing with Baltimore Pike to go to Giant (which isn't that much better) b) going to ShopRite (which is bargain basement and rather gross) or c)driving up to King of Prussia to go to Wegmans, I'm out of options.

So, has anyone heard about Wegmans expanding in the suburbs? I heard they can't expand to Philly because they can't get a big enough footprint, but surely they could take over some old Pathmark building or something in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 01:03 PM

633 posts, read 640,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Is it my imagination, or has Acme just hit the toilet in terms of prices, selection, availability, and quality? I can't believe how bad it's gotten in recent years. They advertise things for sale, but they don't have any of the sale items in stock (lobster, for example). They advertise produce for sale, such as cauliflower, but every single head of cauliflower they stock is moldy. They'll advertise a sale on boneless, skinless chicken breasts and then not stock a single other type of chicken (such as split, bone-in breasts).

I live in a Delco suburb, and short of a) travelling to Springfield and dealing with Baltimore Pike to go to Giant (which isn't that much better) b) going to ShopRite (which is bargain basement and rather gross) or c)driving up to King of Prussia to go to Wegmans, I'm out of options.

So, has anyone heard about Wegmans expanding in the suburbs? I heard they can't expand to Philly because they can't get a big enough footprint, but surely they could take over some old Pathmark building or something in the suburbs.

Your issue here is that not all ACME's are created equal. I frequent the two close to me (both on Baltimore pike in media) on a weekly basis and have none of the issues you describe. Plenty of selection, no moldy produce.

The quality of your supermarket will vary GREATLY with the area it's located in, as supermarkets and grocery stores are notoriously low margin businesses.

I don't know which Delco suburb you're in precisely, but the only "old pathmark buildings" I can think of would be the one near 69th street, the one in brookhaven, the one on macdade boulevard in folsom, the one on macdade boulevard in glenolden, and the one that was in trainer. Pathmark itself was a fairly low end grocery store long before they went out of business. Given that there's a shoprite now at 140 N. Macdade where a pathmark was previously, I can make an educated guess as to where you are.

None of these areas are going to support a Wegman's. The clientele simply wouldn't support the higher prices to justify it. If you're looking for a better shopping experience, you're going to have to burn the gas and drive to a better store, ACME or otherwise.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Your issue here is that not all ACME's are created equal. I frequent the two close to me (both on Baltimore pike in media) on a weekly basis and have none of the issues you describe. Plenty of selection, no moldy produce.

The quality of your supermarket will vary GREATLY with the area it's located in, as supermarkets and grocery stores are notoriously low margin businesses.

I don't know which Delco suburb you're in precisely, but the only "old pathmark buildings" I can think of would be the one near 69th street, the one in brookhaven, the one on macdade boulevard in folsom, the one on macdade boulevard in glenolden, and the one that was in trainer. Pathmark itself was a fairly low end grocery store long before they went out of business. Given that there's a shoprite now at 140 N. Macdade where a pathmark was previously, I can make an educated guess as to where you are.

None of these areas are going to support a Wegman's. The clientele simply wouldn't support the higher prices to justify it. If you're looking for a better shopping experience, you're going to have to burn the gas and drive to a better store, ACME or otherwise.
Well, I'm specifically referring to the ACME in Ridley, but I frequent the one further down MacDade (is it actually Secane?) and then one down in Dover, DE which certainly has enough of a population to support a "better" Acme. The Acme in Ridley ought to be better - it's certainly bigger, and looks like it should have better selection. Maybe they just have terrible management. And I would think that if I didn't see the exact same problems at the Secane (or whatever township that is) and the Dover stores. I ought not to have to travel to Media or Springfield to get non-moldy produce.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:22 PM

I would say that I would totally deal with the aggravation of travelling to Media if they got a Wegmans, though.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,687 times
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. Hailing from Upstate NY, not having a Wegmans close by was hard to wrestle with at first. But I have been shopping at the ACME in Bala Cynwyd ever since and it's the closest comparison I could find to my beloved Wegmans. I have never had any of the issues OP has described. I agree that it's likely a store-specific issue and not an overall ACME brand issue.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:45 PM

633 posts, read 640,372 times
Quote:
Well, I'm specifically referring to the ACME in Ridley, but I frequent the one further down MacDade (is it actually Secane?) and then one down in Dover, DE which certainly has enough of a population to support a "better" Acme. The Acme in Ridley ought to be better - it's certainly bigger, and looks like it should have better selection. Maybe they just have terrible management. And I would think that if I didn't see the exact same problems at the Secane (or whatever township that is) and the Dover stores. I ought not to have to travel to Media or Springfield to get non-moldy produce.
Can't speak for Dover, but there's no significant difference in average income in Ridley vs. Secane. Population size is irrelevant. Philadelphia has tons of people in it, but much of that city is a food desert with few grocery stores of any size.

Wegman's only builds stores in areas with very high median incomes. There's one in concordville (median family income of about $121K), and Cherry Hill (105K), and the one in King of Prussia which is its own thing, since KOP is a mecca of high end luxury retail, surrounded by equally wealthy burbs.

Ridley township on the other hand has a median family income of about 54K. You will never, ever see a Wegman's there. Even Media is pushing it in terms of the kinds of demographics that store requires.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Can't speak for Dover, but there's no significant difference in average income in Ridley vs. Secane. Population size is irrelevant. Philadelphia has tons of people in it, but much of that city is a food desert with few grocery stores of any size.

Wegman's only builds stores in areas with very high median incomes. There's one in concordville (median family income of about $121K), and Cherry Hill (105K), and the one in King of Prussia which is its own thing, since KOP is a mecca of high end luxury retail, surrounded by equally wealthy burbs.

Ridley township on the other hand has a median family income of about 54K. You will never, ever see a Wegman's there. Even Media is pushing it in terms of the kinds of demographics that store requires.
Interesting, that's too bad.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:14 PM

204 posts, read 389,035 times
The super-sized Giant in Havertown is not a bad substitute for Wegmans. Their large-store design and selection certainly beats many of the other cramped Giants and Acmes scattered throughout the region.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:34 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:

Giant is Aston is good minus the ridiculous crowds on the weekends, the Acme in Concordville is also good. Wegmans and Whole Foods in Glen Mills are fantastic.

There is also the new giant under construction in Brookhaven.

Quote:

Pathmark in Brookhaven is turning into a ShopRite, which is a huge improvement.

Wegmans is also like IKEA in that they only have a few locations per metro. I think a Wegmans would do great out in Edgemont/Newtown Square, since the other half of Delco is covered already.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:11 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,452 times
Wegman's opened a brand new store in Concordville/Glen Mills (off of Baltimore Pike) last fall! To get there from Ridley (not sure how long you have lived in Delco), all you would have to is take I-95 south to US 322 and make a right onto Baltimore Pike.

Now only if Wegman's would open up a Center City location! A man can dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia