Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:29 PM

10 posts, read 34,087 times

Advertisements

Since the last post on this thread, the Acme in Folsom has gotten rid of its self-checkout lanes (because people were stealing --according to an employee) and opened not just a beer/wine selection area, but an actual BAR inside the store where the customers can get their fix while they shop. (Yes, I'm being cynical, but come on -- why would anyone go to an Acme to drink???)

The Folsom Acme is awful and I force myself to drive to Giant in Springfield at least once a week and stock up instead of having to rely on the much closer Acme. The Acme farther away on MacDade is also garbage.

Acme's prices are also higher than Giant's, in my experience. Whatever gas money I burn driving to Giant is more than made up for in terms of savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:52 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by add2718 View Post
Since the last post on this thread, the Acme in Folsom has gotten rid of its self-checkout lanes (because people were stealing --according to an employee) and opened not just a beer/wine selection area, but an actual BAR inside the store where the customers can get their fix while they shop. (Yes, I'm being cynical, but come on -- why would anyone go to an Acme to drink???)

The Folsom Acme is awful and I force myself to drive to Giant in Springfield at least once a week and stock up instead of having to rely on the much closer Acme. The Acme farther away on MacDade is also garbage.

Acme's prices are also higher than Giant's, in my experience. Whatever gas money I burn driving to Giant is more than made up for in terms of savings.
All the Acmes got rid of their self checkouts, not just Folsom, and I miss them every time I buy fewer than 15 items. The bar makes no sense to me, either!

Old 02-12-2017, 09:01 AM

273 posts, read 317,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
Good place to shop, not so great to work I'm sure.
It’s funny that you’d make this observation, because in fact, Wegmans is #4 on Fortune’s list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For—a list Wegmans has been on for 19 years.

Wegmans is by far the best grocery store I’ve ever shopped (in the U.S. at least). They have it all: Clean, expansive stores, decent prices on staple items, a broad array of specialty foods, and an impressive range of prepared meals in their Market Cafe. You can buy foods slightly cheaper elsewhere, but at Wegmans, you don’t have to contend with the pricing rollercoaster of stores like Acme—where you can get a decent price on a sale item this week, but don’t even think of buying that same item next week because the “regular” price is doubled.

I’ve been in Florida for a year (so glad to be moving back to PA soon), and I don’t understand the fuss over Publix. I live within walking distance of one, and it’s where I do most of my food shopping. I mean...Publix is OK—the store is clean and well stocked—but otherwise it’s a middle-of-the-road grocery store not unlike Acme, ShopRite, etc. The selection isn’t impressive, and they engage in Acme-styled high/low/high price chicanery.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:11 AM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post
It’s funny that you’d make this observation, because in fact, Wegmans is #4 on Fortune’s list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For—a list Wegmans has been on for 19 years.

Wegmans is by far the best grocery store I’ve ever shopped (in the U.S. at least). They have it all: Clean, expansive stores, decent prices on staple items, a broad array of specialty foods, and an impressive range of prepared meals in their Market Cafe. You can buy foods slightly cheaper elsewhere, but at Wegmans, you don’t have to contend with the pricing rollercoaster of stores like Acme—where you can get a decent price on a sale item this week, but don’t even think of buying that same item next week because the “regular” price is doubled.

I’ve been in Florida for a year (so glad to be moving back to PA soon), and I don’t understand the fuss over Publix. I live within walking distance of one, and it’s where I do most of my food shopping. I mean...Publix is OK—the store is clean and well stocked—but otherwise it’s a middle-of-the-road grocery store not unlike Acme, ShopRite, etc. The selection isn’t impressive, and they engage in Acme-styled high/low/high price chicanery.
The backstory on Wegmans' prices, or so I was told:

The chain, as you know, is based in Rochester, N.Y. So is another rival, Tops Markets.

Wegmans upgraded its stores with those eye-popping produce / prepared-foods / service department sections, and they proved a hit. People came into the stores in droves to ogle the merchandise and pick up some items from those sections - then went over to Tops, whose regular grocery prices were lower, to do the rest of their shopping.

Wegmans soon figured out that the way to compete was to bring down their regular grocery prices.

I'm not getting the hatin' on ShopRite, though. Granted, any given ShopRite (or Fresh Grocer, now a sibling) is only as good as its owner, and some owners (Jeff Brown, the Collinses) are better than others. But I've yet to set foot in a ShopRite that I'd consider unimpressive in those departments, though ever since Jeff Brown opened a Fresh Grocer in Cedarbrook Plaza, the La Salle store near me seems sad by comparison. But it still has a decent variety of prepared foods, a good service deli and a nice produce department (I'd love a better specialty cheese section, like the one at the Sullivan Progress Plaza store, but I guess LaSalle students are not as big cheeseheads as Temple students are, and I'm sure East Germantowners score even lower on that metric). ShopRite does very well on prices: its regular prices are usually the lowest in the market and often beat Walmart, and its stores run specials as aggressive as any other chain's. When the owner of the Fresh Grocer bought into the ShopRite cooperative (another thing I like about that operation), its regular prices went from being the highest in the region to the lowest.

Only thing I'd fault is that ShopRite's private label products are hit-or-miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia