U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the new Soda Tax of 1.5 cents per ounce?
Yes! Keep up the good work! 22 37.29%
No! This tax needs to go the way of the dodo. 37 62.71%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:45 AM

10,277 posts, read 5,943,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
This is a BS argument, for a number of reasons. If money is a concern the poor are free to simply NOT buy sugar laden beverages and pick up a substitute like water or milk. The poor are also by FAR the hardest hit by obesity issues (the paradox of terrible food being quite cheap, soda in particular) so in the long run the reduction in healthcare costs and issues will save them money, not cost them more.

literally no one does this, as we've seen with the rise in the Philadelphia sales tax (8% vs. 6% in the burbs) and the Philadelphia cigarette tax, and the Philadelphia smoking ban. Hell, Delaware has a whopping 0% sales tax on all items and very few people bother to make the drive to shop there over the city unless they're literally on the border. You'll lose more in time and gasoline than you would save attempting to evade the soda tax.

oh wait, you're serious? let me laugh even harder. Not only does the state of PA tax the ever loving crap out of alcohol,

Malt Beverage and Liquor Tax

the city has a 10% tax on liquor on top of THAT.

City of Philadelphia: Liquor Tax

There is no possible scenario where "singles of beer and 4loko" would ever sell for less than non alcoholic beverages. None. Zero. And as for "corner stores selling singles" that situation is fairly rare here. You cannot simply wander into any old Wawa or 7-11 and buy beer for carry out, that requires a specific license and most "corner stores" don't have this ability- and virtually NO grocery stores within city limits do. Do some? yes. is it the majority? Absolutely not.

you don't say.

This is my "surprised" face. Go shill somewhere else. The reality here is that the overwhelming majority of the city realizes that the benefits for funding universal Pre-K are OVERWHELMINGLY positive. Childcare is ludicrously expensive and universal pre-K will save the average parent far more per year than they'd spend on a soda tax. It will also free up adults to re-enter the workforce instead of staying home, so employers have a more mobile, flexible pool of workers to choose from. In the long run children who get comprehensive pre-K outperform those that don't, and we'll be looking at higher graduation rates and lower incarceration- which means taxpayers are shelling out less for our overstuffed prisons.

There is literally no downside here- unless you're a shill for the beverage industry more concerned about shareholder profits than you are about the welfare of a city and its citizens.
CD being CD there's a thread about it in the Current Events board. Haven't looked at it yet but, surely, there will be a bunch of posts with "opinions" from people who don't know a thing about Phila., have never been here, can't fathom why it was approved, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:52 AM

174 posts, read 126,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
... Sure, the middle and wealthy folks will be able to dart across the city limits to load up on sweetened beverages....

I read that it applies to un-sweetened (i.e., artificially sweetened / diet) soda as well, which make it nothing more than a basic tax / power grab /government overreach / slippery slope IMO. Have fun seeing where this leads...

And wasn't this voted in?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
I read that it applies to un-sweetened (i.e., artificially sweetened / diet) soda as well, which make it nothing more than a basic tax / power grab /government overreach / slippery slope IMO. Have fun seeing where this leads...

It's going to lead to more cities/locales trying to implement something similar. Not tomorrow but eventually.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 AM

633 posts, read 492,096 times
Quote:

It was "voted in" as much as every other tax issue (property, liquor, wage, sales) is "voted in." Citizens vote for council members, who themselves vote for or against the issue.

Philadelphia does not vote in tax increases by popular referendum and neither does the state of Pennsylvania. Are you new here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
If any of these ideas ever happen, come back here and tell me "I told you so," but until then, I don't think so..

On the contrary, the State already does "tax burgers" and "tax restaurants" in a way that does not apply to regular groceries. All prepared food is hit with a sales tax whereas regular groceries aren't. Prepared food is also not eligible to use EBT dollars on, if what I've heard about that program is correct. The state also taxes liquor and tobacco to incredible degrees, simply because they can. These things are viewed as luxury purchases that nobody actually needs, so they're the least regressive means of generating revenue.

Whining about "well, taxing soda is a slippery slope to just taxing everything!" is an insane complaint that ignores the basics of tax policy in an attempt to scare the population into giving business what it wants.

Last edited by Burger Fan; 06-17-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
It was "voted in" as much as every other tax issue (property, liquor, wage, sales) is "voted in." Citizens vote for council members, who themselves vote for or against the issue.

Philadelphia does not vote in tax increases by popular referendum and neither does the state of Pennsylvania. Are you new here?

On the contrary, the State already does "tax burgers" and "tax restaurants" in a way that does not apply to regular groceries. All prepared food is hit with a sales tax whereas regular groceries aren't. Prepared food is also not eligible to use EBT dollars on, if what I've heard about that program is correct. The state also taxes liquor and tobacco to incredible degrees, simply because they can. These things are viewed as luxury purchases that nobody actually needs, so they're the least regressive means of generating revenue.

Whining about "well, taxing soda is a slippery slope to just taxing everything!" is an insane complaint that ignores the basics of tax policy in an attempt to scare the population into giving business what it wants.

You sound kind of mad. Try having a Coke and a Smile (now $0.30 more, courtesy of your local government)?

Old 06-17-2016, 11:09 AM

633 posts, read 492,096 times
Quote:
You sound kind of mad. Try having a Coke and a Smile (now $0.30 more, courtesy of your local government)?
What can I say? Dishonest campaigns from business designed to mislead the public to line their own pockets gets my dander up- as does laughably transparent attempts at Astroturfing by this "concerned citizen from Atlanta" that started this thread. But 30 cents? There's not a person in the city limits that will care, me included.

Obama signed a deal to cut payroll taxes 2% for a year, saving the average worker about $500 per year from the time it was signed in 2010. When it expired in 2013, you could count the people that actually noticed on one hand.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:46 AM

7,449 posts, read 7,871,718 times
No to the soda tax. Driving up costs is NOT the way to get more revenue. It's very short-sighted thinking.

I'm probably cutting off my nose to spite my face -- but taxes in Philly are one reason I do as much shopping as I can OUTSIDE the city. I spend as. little. money. as. possible. in the city limits.

Just like anyone who can get their kids out of the city schools system has already done it……anyone who can (easily) shop outside the city is likely doing that. Other than treating myself to a special event like the flower show….or a special trip to Reading Terminal….I'm actually going to now make an extra special effort NOT to shop in Philly.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
It's six months away from implementation, if it actually happen, and may get amended again since it was halved already from the original $.03.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:37 PM

You know what's kind of sad - there was an opportunity here to actually do something about obesity - by making diet soda cheaper through exclusion (I know, some people think diet soda contributes to obesity just the same as regular, but they're a lost cause from an obesity standpoint anyway).

Instead they went for the money - shocker.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:38 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,041,191 times
drink seltzer water, get use to that as your flavored carbonated beverage. Or drink orange juice or grape juice instead of kool aid and hi-c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia