U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the new Soda Tax of 1.5 cents per ounce?
Yes! Keep up the good work! 22 37.29%
No! This tax needs to go the way of the dodo. 37 62.71%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:27 AM

4,530 posts, read 2,251,464 times

Advertisements

and everybody said that about the cigarette tax too and that still has not stopped people from smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I just don't understand what is wrong with this tax. Soda is one of the biggest causes of diabetes, obesity, and a slew of other nasty health issues. And, as was stated up-thread, this disproportionately impacts the lower economic classes -- meaning that ultimately society fronts a great deal of the bill for many of the aforementioned diseases.

Cigarettes cause lung cancer, so as a society, we determined to tax the sh&t out of them. Alcohol causes numerous health issues, so as a society, we determined to tax the sh&t out of them. What is wrong with taxing the sh&t out of products that are that the forefront of enabling what could turn out to the be the most devastating scourge in human history (i.e. childhood obesity and type 2 diabetes)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:54 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,218,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and everybody said that about the cigarette tax too and that still has not stopped people from smoking.
People are free to enjoy all the sweetened drinks they want. Just like the cigarette tax, however, they will have to ante in a bit more, lessening the costs that have, to date, been paid for by others (including their own insurance costs). Remember, there is no reason inherent access to these drinks granted by God, the gummit or anyone else. Each of us has a choice here.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 AM

27,287 posts, read 25,883,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Not diabetes, just cancer- at least with aspartame.
Don't go there. Just don't.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:17 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
People have known, officially, for over 50 years that smoking would kill them but millions still smoke. Nicotine is really addictive and, of course, people willfully believe that they will beat the odds.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Lou

499 posts, read 180,425 times
I didn't vote in the poll, because the idea of a "discouragement tax" seems paradoxical. When you tax something to discourage consumption of that thing, the projected tax revenue gets worked into the budget. Government being as it is, it'll immediately expand into that new revenue stream. Once that happens, they certainly won't want to discourage consumption. If anything, wouldn't they soon be courting soda companies for increased advertising?

Old 06-27-2016, 12:55 PM

33 posts, read 21,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I see that Philly has passed a 1.5-cent per ounce soda tax to take effect Jan 1.

Personally, I think it's tragic, since this will primarily hurt the poor. Sure, the middle and wealthy folks will be able to dart across the city limits to load up on sweetened beverages, but the car-less city folks will be stuck doing without or paying through the nose. We'll see singles of beer and 4Loko selling for less than non-alcoholic beverages in the local corner store.

Is this what the good people of Philadelphia really want?

Although I don't live there, I'm fearful this could embolden other greedy politicians to pass soda taxes of their own if the one in Philly sticks. I'm rooting for the beverage industry in their efforts to sue the city into oblivion in order to get this tax reversed.

Anyhow, I'd like to see what you guys think. Yay or Nay on the Soda Tax?

Thanks for voting.

Against. City Council need to spend within their budget.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:59 AM

4,530 posts, read 2,251,464 times
and this is true but still the champions of these taxes act as if this going to slow down these bad habbits.
This may be extreme but look at the drug addict? they will do practically anything to get a fix if you think about it.

BTW - nice to see you again kyb01!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
People have known, officially, for over 50 years that smoking would kill them but millions still smoke. Nicotine is really addictive and, of course, people willfully believe that they will beat the odds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia