Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the new Soda Tax of 1.5 cents per ounce?
Yes! Keep up the good work! 22 37.29%
No! This tax needs to go the way of the dodo. 37 62.71%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 12:58 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,859 times

Advertisements

Couldn't these people in Philadelphia get the hint from the attempts which already failed in New York City? Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg tried to get stuff like this passed while he was in charge. Sheesh!

This reminds me of the 5 cent charge on plastic bags when you shop in Washington, DC, Portland, ME and South Portland, ME. (I think they're about to implement it a little further up the coast in Freeport, ME, home to L.L. Bean.) Supposedly, that money is supposed to go to environmental conservation or whatever. If they can prove that the money is really going towards that, than fine.

What about bottle laws? Connecticut has one and so do at least 10 other states. Delaware had one in the past. It seems to make no difference in terms of litter, as I still see plenty around here (I'm in central Connecticut).

As for shopping over the line in bordering towns and counties...even this new tax wouldn't want to make me buy stuff in Camden. I'll just have some plain bottled water, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 01:29 PM

633 posts, read 640,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
You know what's kind of sad - there was an opportunity here to actually do something about obesity - by making diet soda cheaper through exclusion (I know, some people think diet soda contributes to obesity just the same as regular, but they're a lost cause from an obesity standpoint anyway).

Instead they went for the money - shocker.
The original proposal generated more revenue than the current proposal is projected to. Diet soda got the inclusion because some members of council expressed the opinion that the 3 cent per ounce tax on regular sodas was too high.

But even with that, this still DOES do something about obesity by making non sodas and non sugared drinks like water and milk cheaper by exclusion. Those are generally available everywhere diet soda is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
Couldn't these people in Philadelphia get the hint from the attempts which already failed in New York City? Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg tried to get stuff like this passed while he was in charge. Sheesh!

IIRC Bloomberg was calling for an outright ban on beverages over a certain size, which was a bit too far into the "nanny state" category for some people. This proposal is a bit more reasonable, and the obesity benefit is pitched as a side effect, not the entire point.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I was actually hoping they'd tax beer, too. Broaden the base but make the rate even lower, like 1 cent or even 0.75 cents per ounce.
I don't even know who you are anymore.

Tax beer.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-20-2016 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 06-17-2016, 06:26 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times
Where can one find details of the soda tax? It's hard to tell whether it's good without knowing the particulars.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:09 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post

This reminds me of the 5 cent charge on plastic bags when you shop in Washington, DC, Portland, ME and South Portland, ME. (I think they're about to implement it a little further up the coast in Freeport, ME, home to L.L. Bean.) Supposedly, that money is supposed to go to environmental conservation or whatever. If they can prove that the money is really going towards that, than fine.

What about bottle laws? Connecticut has one and so do at least 10 other states. Delaware had one in the past. It seems to make no difference in terms of litter, as I still see plenty around here (I'm in central Connecticut).

As for shopping over the line in bordering towns and counties...even this new tax wouldn't want to make me buy stuff in Camden. I'll just have some plain bottled water, thanks!
The last Philly mayor, Michael Nutter, tried to push it years ago about the same time Bloomberg tried it in New York.

Interestingly a lot of non-Philadelphians, like you, think the issue is important enough to them that they feel obligated to comment about it.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:14 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,859 times
I visit Philadelphia 4 or 5 times a year, whether it's an overnight hotel stay or as a day trip. I often shop in Center City. This will have a big impact on lunch and any snacks I buy for the ride back, etc. I could by something in NYC, but their sales tax is presently 8.375%.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:31 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
I am SO glad tjhat my mother packed us up in 1948 and moved us from Blair County, PA to Yellowstone County, MT.
I will quite likely never go East of the Mississippi again. No, not even to visit the family burial plots in Martinsburg.
I pray that the MT legislators are smart enough to NOT take lessons from the people in power back there...

Old 06-18-2016, 09:32 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I think it's awesome.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:42 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I am SO glad tjhat my mother packed us up in 1948 and moved us from Blair County, PA to Yellowstone County, MT.
I will quite likely never go East of the Mississippi again. No, not even to visit the family burial plots in Martinsburg.
I pray that the MT legislators are smart enough to NOT take lessons from the people in power back there...
So interesting that people from hundreds of miles away from Philadelphia are so "shaken" by a, right now, totally local measure, wrt to the City of Phila(the rest of the Philly metro is not affected) that they feel the need to post about it.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:47 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I see that Philly has passed a 1.5-cent per ounce soda tax to take effect Jan 1.

Personally, I think it's tragic, since this will primarily hurt the poor. Sure, the middle and wealthy folks will be able to dart across the city limits to load up on sweetened beverages, but the car-less city folks will be stuck doing without or paying through the nose. We'll see singles of beer and 4Loko selling for less than non-alcoholic beverages in the local corner store.

Is this what the good people of Philadelphia really want?

Although I don't live there, I'm fearful this could embolden other greedy politicians to pass soda taxes of their own if the one in Philly sticks. I'm rooting for the beverage industry in their efforts to sue the city into oblivion in order to get this tax reversed.

Anyhow, I'd like to see what you guys think. Yay or Nay on the Soda Tax?

Thanks for voting.
I am considering a move back to NY. Many people have told me not to do it because of the high taxes and corrupt politicians. Honestly, I don't see a difference any longer between NY and PA. I don't even know why there is a borderline between the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia