Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the new Soda Tax of 1.5 cents per ounce?
Yes! Keep up the good work! 22 37.29%
No! This tax needs to go the way of the dodo. 37 62.71%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:53 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I didn't vote in the poll because I don't live in the city.
It didn't stop others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 11:43 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Good to see there are more votes against the tax than for it.

I wonder if stores will try to circumvent the tax by buying from distributors who sell to stores outside the city limits and find a way to "slip" the sodas across the border. I certainly see a lot of opportunities for sidewalk sellers hawking cans and bottles for less than the taxed ones in the shops.

In any case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the beverage companies can get this tax shot down by the courts by Jan 1. If this thing sticks, we might be seeing this all over the country - NOT what I wanna see. It's time to say "no" to those money-grubbing politicians, and the best way to go about it is to nip these insane schemes in the bud.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:59 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Good to see there are more votes against the tax than for it.

I wonder if stores will try to circumvent the tax by buying from distributors who sell to stores outside the city limits and find a way to "slip" the sodas across the border. I certainly see a lot of opportunities for sidewalk sellers hawking cans and bottles for less than the taxed ones in the shops.

In any case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the beverage companies can get this tax shot down by the courts by Jan 1. If this thing sticks, we might be seeing this all over the country - NOT what I wanna see. It's time to say "no" to those money-grubbing politicians, and the best way to go about it is to nip these insane schemes in the bud.
Most of the "no" voters are likely not locals... you know... people, like you, who don't live in the Philly metro.

And, yep, that's what you're so worried about isn't it..... the attention it might get may spread the idea elsewhere. You're a thousand miles away from Phila but you are so freaked out you, an Atlantan, started a thread on the Philly board about it. lol.

The beverage lobby has already spent millions in local advertising trying to stop it... didn't work... obviously.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:33 AM

174 posts, read 189,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

Wouldn't the tax be charged at checkout, like sales tax or bottle deposit?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:25 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
I visit Philadelphia 4 or 5 times a year, whether it's an overnight hotel stay or as a day trip. I often shop in Center City. This will have a big impact on lunch and any snacks I buy for the ride back, etc. I could by something in NYC, but their sales tax is presently 8.375%.
Hahahaha... will it really? A big impact on your lunch and snacks? LOL LOL... if dropping a whopping 35 cents more for a can of soda is going to strain your budget, then the LAST thing you should be doing is taking road trips Bro.

Oh man, you "social media" freelancers are a trip. At least you can submit to Corporate Coca Cola that the thread you started has generated more than 30 replies over the course of several days and the crazy "poll" you're obviously manipulating shows strong support to eradicate the tax. I'd even put this this one in your end of week report to the in-house Social Media dept.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:09 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
My understand from a story I heard on the radio says the tax is not charged at the consumer level but charged to the soda companies -- like Coca-Cola corporate…how that's going to work who knows. And of course the tax will be passed on anyway. So I'm not sure it matters. Except that if its charged to the soda companies, it's not another tax that venders themselves will have to be burdened with collecting.

Small and medium sized business especially don't need any more tax burdens

WHY does it seem that the only thing Democrats can think of is tax, tax tax, and more regulations?
(I know, I know I'm a victim of conservative talk radio)

Like I said I really am going to make an effort to spend as little money in Philly as possible.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My understand from a story I heard on the radio says the tax is not charged at the consumer level but charged to the soda companies -- like Coca-Cola corporate…how that's going to work who knows. And of course the tax will be passed on anyway. So I'm not sure it matters. Except that if its charged to the soda companies, it's not another tax that venders themselves will have to be burdened with collecting.

WHY does it seem that the only thing Democrats can think of is tax, tax tax, and more regulations?

Like I said I really am going to make an effort to spend as little money in Philly as possible.
I'd rather be here, truthfully, than say Kansas, where tax cuts didn't create the desired conservative result but has thrust the state into a huge fiscal crisis.

Democrats actually want to pay for things through government action. Republicans (is there actually a viable Rep Party now??) still think "trickle down/Reaganism" works.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'd rather be here, truthfully, than say Kansas, where tax cuts didn't create the desired conservative result but has thrust the state into a huge fiscal crisis.

Democrats actually want to pay for things through government action. Republicans (is there actually a viable Rep Party now??) still think "trickle down/Reaganism" works.
Totally agree. You've got the lunatics in Kansas & the teabaggers who took over NC in 2010, who are raising fees on anything that doesn't move too fast to pay for their Christy Whitman style income tax cut for the wealthy while they chase away businesses with their social conservative gems like HB2.

I didn't vote, since I'm not there at this time.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:57 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
It was a brilliant government maneuver to get a cross section of society to believe they are thinking about a person's well being....and to get paid for it.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:01 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Democrats tend to try to even out the tax burden. The current version of the Republican party is all for increasing taxes on the middle & lower classes & decreasing taxes on the wealthy & corporations.

Trickle down economics hasn't worked yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia