U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 08:55 AM

8 posts, read 5,011 times

Advertisements

What is Philly like for graduate jobs?

Me and my gf are attracted to philly because we love the east coast and love how close it is to NY and also how diverse the place is!

I am looking to the future and will have a BA in International Marketing and have some internship experience at a recruitment firm 10 months and counting right now. I still have a year and a bit before I get my degree.

Are there any companies who take on graduates or are known for this?

I will be looking for a business related position.

Am I reaching too high at wanting to earn 35k+ starting salary?

I guess a part of me feels that only way to get a decent job ...by decent I mean $30-35k starting job is through someone or your parents or is this more so the NYC game?

Can any former graduates or job seekers tell me how they found their experience of finding employment within Philadelphia.

My Mrs has high school education but has worked in roles in inside sales, data entry and admin roles at the firms she has been at how would finding work be for her?

I know nobody has a crystal ball and can mention what jobs we will find etc but an idea of the job market, growth and potential would be good. Also what are the main industries is it mainly services?

Just a short bit of info im from the UK and will be moving over soon and my partner is in the deep south so we are looking to settle together and are strongly considering Philadelphia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 04:46 PM

1,241 posts, read 798,194 times
35K as a starting salary is OK but a bit on the low side. And no, you don't need to know anyone to find a well paying job, unless you suck at what you do.

If you want more bang from your dollar, I would recommend moving to the South. The cost of living is lower and the quality of life is higher.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:35 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
35K as a starting salary is OK but a bit on the low side. And no, you don't need to know anyone to find a well paying job, unless you suck at what you do.

If you want more bang from your dollar, I would recommend moving to the South. The cost of living is lower and the quality of life is higher.
Just to add if politics is not a person's thing, one can probably manage pretty well in, say, Birmingham, AL.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,276 times
Google this phrase "Philadelphia ranks as best city for millennials to work & live" and you will find several links to the Philadelphia Business Journal and Tech Times and others showing the results of this recent survey and I think you'll become comfortable about your employment choices in Philadelphia.

If you are not a member of LinkedIn dot com join - it is free - and create a professional profile for yourself then search for groups that would have the types of positions you are most interested in.

When you can answer a question in the group to build some credibility and if you get into some discussions try to add those people as Connections. Target opportunities to build relationships in the Philadelphia area as most companies have active Employee Referral Programs. There are a lot of benefits to hiring referrals. It gives employees a sense of ownership in that they are helping to build their companies.

Also they know people are unlikely to refer anyone that would reflect badly on them. To you the huge benefit is someone is literally walking your resume down the hall (even if by internal email) virtually guaranteeing someone will actually see your resume.

In the majority of firms resumes are imported into an applicant tracking system where recruiters run key word searches determined by their assigned openings. It's a flawed process because a great resume could come in but never be seen if either the resume does not score high enough because it lacks the key words or if the recruiter doesn't create a query that will discover it.

I also recommend you look at Glassdoor dot com where you can research jobs, companies, often their interviewing processes and/or questions, and salaries.

Simply Hired and Indeed are both good sites that crawl the internet and make it easy to create a search for a job title and geographic area and not only give you instant results but also allow you to receive email alerts as new jobs that fit your criteria are discovered.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:56 AM

23,169 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3k View Post
What is Philly like for graduate jobs?

Me and my gf are attracted to philly because we love the east coast and love how close it is to NY and also how diverse the place is!

I am looking to the future and will have a BA in International Marketing and have some internship experience at a recruitment firm 10 months and counting right now. I still have a year and a bit before I get my degree.

Are there any companies who take on graduates or are known for this?

I will be looking for a business related position.

Am I reaching too high at wanting to earn 35k+ starting salary?

I guess a part of me feels that only way to get a decent job ...by decent I mean $30-35k starting job is through someone or your parents or is this more so the NYC game?

Can any former graduates or job seekers tell me how they found their experience of finding employment within Philadelphia.

My Mrs has high school education but has worked in roles in inside sales, data entry and admin roles at the firms she has been at how would finding work be for her?

I know nobody has a crystal ball and can mention what jobs we will find etc but an idea of the job market, growth and potential would be good. Also what are the main industries is it mainly services?

Just a short bit of info im from the UK and will be moving over soon and my partner is in the deep south so we are looking to settle together and are strongly considering Philadelphia!
How deep in the South?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or