U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 12:19 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,847,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The Media-Elwyn Line expanding out to the West Chester area, and the Norristown Line expanding to King of Prussia may happen over the next decade.
Those 2 projects seem to be the most likely to happen when it comes to rail expansion for SEPTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:11 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,289,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I'd like to see a SEPTA station in West Chester, as long as it isn't in a place that causes major traffic congestion.

Exton Station is undergoing a long overdue renovation. It looks like it'll be nice.
There is a SEPTA station in WC, or was, so what you'd like to see is service restored to WC.

That's one of the most frustrating things about SEPTA Regional Rail; no one is asking for brand new train service to areas that never had it, we just want it restored to walkable places that have train tracks, train stations, and parking lots (Phoenixville, Royersford, Pottstown, Hatfield, Souderton, Telford, Sellersville, Perkasie, Quakertown, Newtown, and West Chester). We aren't asking for the impossible.

In the city, subway service to the Navy Yard is overdue, as is some kind of expansion into the Northeast, but those projects are mega-$-billions, especially the Northeast.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:29 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,931,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
There is a SEPTA station in WC, or was, so what you'd like to see is service restored to WC.

That's one of the most frustrating things about SEPTA Regional Rail; no one is asking for brand new train service to areas that never had it, we just want it restored to walkable places that have train tracks, train stations, and parking lots (Phoenixville, Royersford, Pottstown, Hatfield, Souderton, Telford, Sellersville, Perkasie, Quakertown, Newtown, and West Chester). We aren't asking for the impossible.

In the city, subway service to the Navy Yard is overdue, as is some kind of expansion into the Northeast, but those projects are mega-$-billions, especially the Northeast.
The BSL City Hall station need attention before any of those things, imo.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 AM

5,348 posts, read 5,569,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I second this. It is a disaster currently.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:59 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,289,577 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree because that station is heavily-used and sorely needs upgrading. However, will updating the City Hall Station cause an immediate increase in transit users?

One of SEPTA's faults is a desire to make stations look pretty while ignoring or sandbagging expansion projects that will add users and change communities.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:12 AM

5,348 posts, read 5,569,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I don't necessarily disagree because that station is heavily-used and sorely needs upgrading. However, will updating the City Hall Station cause an immediate increase in transit users?

One of SEPTA's faults is a desire to make stations look pretty while ignoring or sandbagging expansion projects that will add users and change communities.
Accessibility is the biggest problem I see with City Hall station. It's a real problem that one of the biggest transit centers in Philly cannot accommodate wheel chairs, people with crutches and other disabled. Probably one of the big reasons I see so few elderly in that station.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I second this. It is a disaster currently.
It just looks AWFUL along with the connection to 15St station on the MFL. And,ugh, the water damage on floors in the 15th Station!

Oddly it looks better than it did years ago when Septa barely kept it clean and never did spot painting.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:58 AM

1,142 posts, read 810,774 times
Quote:
I kinda laughed at the fact that some people think Septa sucks. Some of that comes from what locals call "Negadelphianism". That is they will twist some experience they had in/with the city to condemn the entire city or an enterprise like Septa. And some of that attitude can be based on bogus assumptions.
Exactly! SEPTA is a world-class system. The City of Philadelphia has the only true commuter rail system in the U.S., meaning that commuters do not have to leave out of multiple termini. We also have the only completely electrified system in the U.S. at last check (maybe not anymore as Denver completes its new commuter rail system). Our system is vast, as SEPTA is one of only two transportation systems (the other being Boston's MBTA) to have all 5 transportation categories, which are heavy rail, light rail, commuter rail, bus, and electric trolleybus. I will be moving to Philly in August or September while I attend Temple University, and I plan to live a car-free life while in the city. I will use a combination of walking, SEPTA, and Indego.

When it comes to my dream expansions for SEPTA, extend the Broad Street Line to Cheltenham and Ogontz Avenues via Stenton Avenue. Other extensions on the Broad Street Line should go south to the Navy Yard and northeast on Roosevelt Boulevard to Southampton Road. The Market-Frankford Line should either be extended to meet the Roosevelt Boulevard Subway, or further down Frankford Avenue to Rhawn Street. The current Broad-Ridge Spur should be extended northwest to Bells Mills Road in Andorra via Ridge Avenue, and to South Philly via South Street, Grays Ferry Avenue (northeast of Washington Avenue), and the 25th Street Viaduct. Finally, PATCO should be extended to 38th and Walnut in University City, with new stations at Rittenhouse Square, 22nd/23rd and Walnut, 34th and Walnut (University of Pennsylvania), and 38th and Walnut (University City).

Suburban restorations should include: restored service to West Chester, Newtown, New Hope, Allentown/Bethlehem, and at least Pottstown with the possibility of heading to Reading/Wyomissing. The Wilmington/Newark Line could be extended to Perryville, MD to meet up with MARC since Cecil County is in Philly's CSA. There should be a new service to Kennett Square or Oxford via the ex-PRR Octoraro Branch, and a new service to Mount Holly, NJ. Finally, the Cynwyd Line could at least be extended to Barmouth in order to make it less of a dinky!

Finally, I would LOVE to see the return of 24/7 service on the MFL and BSL. There was 24/7 service up until the 1990s, but that service was terminated due to crime concerns. If there ridership strong enough to warrant 24 hour service on Friday and Saturday, then 24/7 service should be investigated. Shorter headways on the Regional Rail lines would be great as well, but cannot happen unless there are complete 3-track sections between Wayne Junction and Jenkintown.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Exactly! SEPTA is a world-class system. The City of Philadelphia has the only true commuter rail system in the U.S., meaning that commuters do not have to leave out of multiple termini.

[....]

Finally, I would LOVE to see the return of 24/7 service on the MFL and BSL. There was 24/7 service up until the 1990s, but that service was terminated due to crime concerns. If there ridership strong enough to warrant 24 hour service on Friday and Saturday, then 24/7 service should be investigated.
Most people in the Philly region have no idea how good we have it here regarding pub trans. I was recently in Birmingham, AL, which is okay on the surface... but it's impossible for me to forget what happened there in the 60s. In any case I mentioned to someone in passing that I could never live in that area because of the lack of pub trans. The reaction was, "We have public transportation!" Sigh... It took considerable effort on my part to keep my eyes in my head from all the rmfe I wanted to do!

Anyhow I ditched my car a year ago and don't miss it at all.

And, yes, I'd love for 24/7 service to return on the MFL and BSL. It's wasn't just crime that stopped the service, it was the big MFL derailment, west of 30th St station, with fatalities, in the early 90s. Septa claimed it needed the 5 hour downtime to check rolling stock. It may also have been forced into it by findings from the NTSB.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:47 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,880,905 times
People complain about public transit, it's what they do. Especially those who depend on it, and especially those who soley depend on it. People in New York are convinced that New York has terrible public transit. But it is what it is. I don't begrudge people for complaining when their life is significantly thrown into flux by it. It's like expecting people to stop complaining about traffic.

I complain about SEPTA all the time. One of the trains I can take after work is consistently significantly late. Just this week it's been 20 minutes and 28 minutes late on two different days - that's a pretty tall order when the train only runs every 30 minutes! Today it was 7 minutes late (still considered late by railroad standards). That's basically a lost hour of time for people.

I also love SEPTA, public transit, the history of the railroads, the idea of living without a car. I've lived here for 6 years without a car, could easily afford one if I wanted, and continue to decide to rely on SEPTA.

An entirely electrified system is nothing to brag about in SEPTA's case, though. The only reason we have an entirely electric system is because the non-electric portions were abandoned. As recently as the 80's I believe I could have taken the train from Philly to go visit my family in Berks County (not a SEPTA service).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or