Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,532 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'll be starting school in UC this summer and plan on taking the Amtrak from Paoli to 30th street and then walking to UC.

I've been reading threads and researching the best way to get to/from class but I still have a few questions. The forum and accessthekeystone.com have been very helpful.

According to Wiki, there are 177 daily and 309 permit spots. I guess the Amtrak lots (the Southeast lot, 133 spaces & the Northeast lot, 46 spaces - although that equals 179) are "FULL" and will become full very quickly, particularly before 8 AM.

I'm not interested in taking SEPTA so those parking area(s) are off limits.

There doesn't appear to be a parking garage near the station.

I have the following questions:

1) What's the best traveling option?
- Park at the Paoli station and take the Amtrak
- Take a cab? to the Paoli station then take a cab back home
- Walk to and from the stop (20-25 minutes) - not sure how safe this is
- Drive to the stop and find parking
- Drive to UC and back - not too keen on this
2) If I park at the stop:
- how reliable are the 7:23 AM and 8:09 AM trains from Paoli? Are there any delays?
- Can I find parking before those two departure times?
- Is it feasible to take the 8:09 train and reach UC by 9?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:09 AM

972 posts, read 541,861 times
Parking at Paoli Station does fill up fast. If you can walk to the station, that's probably your best bet. As far as I know, the area is reasonably safe.

Last I saw, there wasn't separate parking for Amtrak and SEPTA. It's simply one station that services both train lines.

If SEPTA becomes an option, you could take a local train from Daylesford Station. That parking lot usually doesn't fill up. You also won't sit in the lot as long in the evening waiting to reach the exit.

The Paoli/Thorndale line is known for delays, but that can happen with any train line.

The 8:09 Amtrak from Paoli reaches 30th Street Station at 8:35. That gives you plenty of time to reach pretty much anywhere on Drexel's campus. If you're going to Penn, you might be cutting it close if you're going to the far ends of campus. You might do a practice trip before the first day of class just to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia