Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:35 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,281,064 times

Advertisements

So a few of you helped me figure out the deal with moving here. Can't remember who. Been here a few weeks now and totally in love with the city. I've heard it's an underrated city, but underrated is an understatement.

I've found people here to be very friendly actually. This is coming from Louisville before here. SEPTA fare systems are strange and I had locals help me out kindly. Attendants working in stations are helpful. I've actually met my neighbors which is something that's never happened in my lifetime. I even got a complimentary "welcome to Philly" dessert at a restaurant after the waitress found out I was new to the city and eating with my friend who was visiting me.

On a map, the city looks huge. At street level, I love how easy it is to walk from one neighborhood to the next. Even still, the neighborhoods and city don't feel small still because there is so much packed into each neighborhood. Every restaurant I've eaten at has been perfect and I haven't been to a disappointing bar yet. Also, after being in Louisville for a few years, I'm not sure if I just forgot how awesome happy hour is, or if Philly does happy hour really well. But I love all the happy hour options.

I love that the city already has tons going for. The buildings (in the nice areas) are beautiful. There is tons of culture, nightlife, dining, etc. But there is still room to grow. Unlike NYC, SF, and other cities, Philly still has room to grow which is promising for the future of the city. Anytime I think of that, I get a mental image of the vacant lots at Broad and Washington and just in general some other underdeveloped lots (strip malls, parking lots, infill potential, etc.) Unlike NYC and SF, I think the city can continue to grow and prosper for a long time to come without getting extremely expensive thanks to all the underdeveloped lots in the city and I love that.

I'm actually hoping to make this move permanent ASAP. I'm only here for the summer right now, but I'm trying to possibly transfer for my last year of school or apply for jobs in the area after graduation and move as soon as I can.

P.S. If there are any little hidden gem things a newbie might not know about, I'm trying to see and get to know as much of this city as I can this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 04:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,702,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
So a few of you helped me figure out the deal with moving here. Can't remember who. Been here a few weeks now and totally in love with the city. I've heard it's an underrated city, but underrated is an understatement.

I've found people here to be very friendly actually. This is coming from Louisville before here. SEPTA fare systems are strange and I had locals help me out kindly. Attendants working in stations are helpful. I've actually met my neighbors which is something that's never happened in my lifetime. I even got a complimentary "welcome to Philly" dessert at a restaurant after the waitress found out I was new to the city and eating with my friend who was visiting me.

On a map, the city looks huge. At street level, I love how easy it is to walk from one neighborhood to the next. Even still, the neighborhoods and city don't feel small still because there is so much packed into each neighborhood. Every restaurant I've eaten at has been perfect and I haven't been to a disappointing bar yet. Also, after being in Louisville for a few years, I'm not sure if I just forgot how awesome happy hour is, or if Philly does happy hour really well. But I love all the happy hour options.

I love that the city already has tons going for. The buildings (in the nice areas) are beautiful. There is tons of culture, nightlife, dining, etc. But there is still room to grow. Unlike NYC, SF, and other cities, Philly still has room to grow which is promising for the future of the city. Anytime I think of that, I get a mental image of the vacant lots at Broad and Washington and just in general some other underdeveloped lots (strip malls, parking lots, infill potential, etc.) Unlike NYC and SF, I think the city can continue to grow and prosper for a long time to come without getting extremely expensive thanks to all the underdeveloped lots in the city and I love that.

I'm actually hoping to make this move permanent ASAP. I'm only here for the summer right now, but I'm trying to possibly transfer for my last year of school or apply for jobs in the area after graduation and move as soon as I can.

P.S. If there are any little hidden gem things a newbie might not know about, I'm trying to see and get to know as much of this city as I can this summer.
You didn't mention what neighborhood you live in. If you are comfortable about saying so, tell us.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:11 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,875,620 times
Nice!-glad you are having fun. Yeah, happy hour seems to be huge here. Bob and Barbara's is the home of the "city-wide"-the $3 PBR/shot of whiskey special that has become so ubiquitous at many Philly bars-with some places putting their own spin on it like the Cantina where it is Tecate/shot of tequila. B&B also has their notorious drag shows.

Tattooed Mom has maybe my favorite happy hour (two times a day) with really great food specials including $.50 pierogies on Thursday and "Meatless Mondays" where the vegetarian menu is half off, "Taco Tuesday" with $1 Tacos and great specials on beer/drinks. Johnny Brendas is a great spot-that was actually the first bar in the country to sell only local beer. "Kenzinger" is like our "Bud Light" just a Million times better.

Check out The Wissahickon Park when you need an escape from the city life!
If you're into music check out a basement show in West Philly-look up "All Night Diner". There are of course many larger venues too that you should get around too.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:42 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,702,288 times
Quote:

There actually are big plans to develop the area around Broad and Washington but there are disputes about how one project should look and how large it should be.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:04 AM

252 posts, read 232,651 times
So happy you're loving it!! What neighbothood?

Check out Uwishunu.com for a list of happenings in the city. A few things to check out if you haven't (these aren't "hidden gems" but good nonetheless):

Schuykill River Trail
Various beer gardens...especially Spruce Harbor Park
Mutter Museum (if you like creepy oddities)
Magic Gardens on South st.
City Hall observation deck.
Double decker bus tour.
Art museum
Reading Terminal Market
13th street restaurants in Midtown Village.
Eastern State Penitentiary
Walnut St. Shopping
Live jazz at "Time"
Sam's morning glory diner and Sabrina's for brunch
Italian Market

Have a great Summer!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 PM

I'm in Pennsport basically on the border with QV.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 PM

11,999 posts, read 12,875,620 times
Quote:
I'm in Pennsport basically on the border with QV.
Curious, have you ever visited before?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Curious, have you ever visited before?
Nope.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:22 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,449,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
"Kenzinger" is like our "Bud Light" just a Million times better.
Bud Light is terrible, but Kenzinger tastes like metal to me ... I drank it for a few months and it started to feel like it was doing permanent damage to my stomach. I tried to support them, but it wasn't worth it.
Yard's brews a better product than PBC all the way around, IMO.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:27 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,449,177 times
Quote:
Nope.
Take a ride along Kensington Avenue if you want to see the real walking dead ... especially around Somerset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia