U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweetTee View Post

When ever I tell someone I'm moving here(Philadelphia), I get negative responses.
No one ever claimed the people in NC were very bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 10:31 AM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
It comes as no shock that some in the South or Midwest wouldn't be too fond of the urban Northeast, but you'd be remiss to accept their opinions wholesale.

The fact of the matter is there's a lot of ignorance about what the city has to offer, especially at the national level, but appalingly among Philadelphians themselves.

I think at least a few trips to the area are definitely recommended to get a feel for such a large and complex area as Philly. I think most people are pleasantly surprised by what they find.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2016, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 8,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Haha! I might have to agree with this. I've all over NC for most of my life, so I'm pretty ready to leave some of that mindset behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It comes as no shock that some in the South or Midwest wouldn't be too fond of the urban Northeast, but you'd be remiss to accept their opinions wholesale.

The fact of the matter is there's a lot of ignorance about what the city has to offer, especially at the national level, but appalingly among Philadelphians themselves.

I think at least a few trips to the area are definitely recommended to get a feel for such a large and complex area as Philly. I think most people are pleasantly surprised by what they find.

Good luck!
Thanks! Yeah, I've been to Philly a few times for visits. And I loved my time there. But in a vacation mindset, not to live. I've never gone outside of center city, but being there for the little time I was, I think living directly in the city like that would be a bit overwhelming for me.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
You could also check out Delaware, the State and not the PA County. Having moved from mid-America, I can tell you that it took me a while to get accustomed to these parts of the Union. The closest thing to Durham on the East Coast is in Delaware. It has the new and shiny aspects as opposed to the old and grimy feel of Philadelphia, or as they like to call it historic.
What new shiny aspects have you found in Delaware. Wilmington? Not really. Rehoboth Beach? Pretty much like many NJ shore towns. Newark? No. And, of course, Delaware is just as historic as PA.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 AM

1,242 posts, read 799,046 times
You chose the rusty parts of DE to compare to Philly? I'm referring to the Northern parts of DE bordering PA. I was actually in Newark, DE yesterday and it's not "historic", and it's a long way from PHL airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
What new shiny aspects have you found in Delaware. Wilmington? Not really. Rehoboth Beach? Pretty much like many NJ shore towns. Newark? No. And, of course, Delaware is just as historic as PA.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:43 AM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, I've been to Philly a few times for visits. And I loved my time there. But in a vacation mindset, not to live. I've never gone outside of center city, but being there for the little time I was, I think living directly in the city like that would be a bit overwhelming for me.
That's completely understandable. Center City is one of the most densely populated pockets of the US, and while that's appealing to urbanites, it's clearly not for everyone.

I think some neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city (e.g., NW Philadelphia communities like Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy or East Falls) or some inner-suburban areas like Ardmore, Bala Cynwyd or Conshohocken would be good alternatives.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:58 AM

23,169 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
That sounds about right. The people that are actually from Philly live in Charlotte. I lived there for 8 years before moving to Durham a little under a year ago.
The Charlotte area got most of the mill workers when the mills were closing. A lot of people from the western half of NC had gone to Philadelphia before that. There's been a lot of back & forth. There are also a handful of hoagie shops. I think that you'd be getting totally different feedback if you asked in or near Charlotte.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You chose the rusty parts of DE to compare to Philly? I'm referring to the Northern parts of DE bordering PA. I was actually in Newark, DE yesterday and it's not "historic", and it's a long way from PHL airport.
You're talking about the area around Naamans Road & Concord Pike? It's a lot like certain areas of South Jersey.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Did you think that that was a bright comment? The 3 main metros in the piedmont of NC are awash with transplants.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:15 PM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Newark was , officially, founded in 1758 and was a village and a Native American trail site before Europeans showed up. Delaware was one of the original 13 American colonies and was the first state to approve the US Constitution. Sounds very historic to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or