U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 12:17 PM

14 posts, read 8,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
East Falls is a fine but it is more than 30 minutes from PHL airport. But if you are set on that area or near to it, I would absolutely check out Aldan Park Manor, 5580 Wissihickon Ave. It's a fabulous apartment complex, with historic feel(because it is) and, as I understand it, redone/rehabbed units. Parking looks like it should be no issue.
I just checked out the Alden Park Manor. From what I can see, that is the feel I am going for. The reviews are mixed, but it seems to be alot of people upset about the renovations and construction. This is place will definitely be on my list when I come up to visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's completely understandable. Center City is one of the most densely populated pockets of the US, and while that's appealing to urbanites, it's clearly not for everyone.

I think some neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city (e.g., NW Philadelphia communities like Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy or East Falls) or some inner-suburban areas like Ardmore, Bala Cynwyd or Conshohocken would be good alternatives.
I remember mention of Mt Airy and Bala Cynwyd from conversation. I'll have to check out those areas as well.

You guys are being super helpful! This is much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 12:17 PM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's completely understandable. Center City is one of the most densely populated pockets of the US, and while that's appealing to urbanites, it's clearly not for everyone.

I think some neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city (e.g., NW Philadelphia communities like Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy or East Falls) or some inner-suburban areas like Ardmore, Bala Cynwyd or Conshohocken would be good alternatives.
He/She mentioned East Falls himself/herself already.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Charlotte area got most of the mill workers when the mills were closing. A lot of people from the western half of NC had gone to Philadelphia before that. There's been a lot of back & forth. There are also a handful of hoagie shops. I think that you'd be getting totally different feedback if you asked in or near Charlotte.
Most of the people that are steering me away are in Charlotte.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
He/She mentioned East Falls himself/herself already.
I'm a she

Old 06-26-2016, 12:55 PM

59 posts, read 33,667 times
I live in West Mount Airy, not at all too far from East Falls. Whenever I go to the airport I'll take the chestnut hill west line and get off at 30th st station. from there i take the airport line. This takes about an hour, but it isn't troublesome for me at all. I think the upper NW neighborhoods might be a good spot for you. you'll be about a 20-30 min train ride into the city and you're right by lincoln and kelly drive and the 76.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyownwords15 View Post
I live in West Mount Airy, not at all too far from East Falls. Whenever I go to the airport I'll take the chestnut hill west line and get off at 30th st station. from there i take the airport line. This takes about an hour, but it isn't troublesome for me at all. I think the upper NW neighborhoods might be a good spot for you. you'll be about a 20-30 min train ride into the city and you're right by lincoln and kelly drive and the 76.
Good to know that using the train wouldn't be too much of a hassle. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2016, 02:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 800,892 times
Yeah, the areas around Concord Pike. A lot of new stuff is coming up in the area.

I've also cycled in other Northern DE areas and they also have a newish feel, without the congestion. Though I also liked some historic places which did not have a rough feel. Unfortunately, I don't keep a tab of these areas but in the back of my mind, these are places that I would want to move to later on in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're talking about the area around Naamans Road & Concord Pike? It's a lot like certain areas of South Jersey.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweetTee View Post
I just checked out the Alden Park Manor. From what I can see, that is the feel I am going for. The reviews are mixed, but it seems to be alot of people upset about the renovations and construction. This is place will definitely be on my list when I come up to visit!

I remember mention of Mt Airy and Bala Cynwyd from conversation. I'll have to check out those areas as well.

You guys are being super helpful! This is much appreciated
I would think that Aldan PM has a lot of old time residents who didn't like being "disturbed". lol

There are West Mt Airy and East Mt Airy. Both have their advocates but both will put your further away from the airport. West Mt Airy is nicer in my opinion.

Bala Cynwyd is a suburb right across the Phila. border. It's fine too. Closer to the airport.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM

1,245 posts, read 800,892 times
Did you look up Newark's history?

I can't say I'm very familiar with the area, but I normally go to Newark to buy imported steaks and I'm yet to see anything that points to its long history.

Quote:
Newark was , officially, founded in 1758 and was a village and a Native American trail site before Europeans showed up. Delaware was one of the original 13 American colonies and was the first state to approve the US Constitution. Sounds very historic to me.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Did you look up Newark's history?

I can't say I'm very familiar with the area, but I normally go to Newark to buy imported steaks and I'm yet to see anything that points to its long history.
I have Native American heritage so information about the indigenous inhabitants of the region interests me. And, yes, there are still NAs living here.

Americans, who claim to be such, should know what the original 13 colonies were and when the US Constitution was ratified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or