U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:17 PM

14 posts, read 8,891 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I'm moving to Philly in a couple of months due to a promotion at work. I could actually live anywhere from PA to Maine. I chose Philly because it's about as far south as I'm allowed to go, still a reasonable drive back home, major airport and proximity to DC and NYC.

When ever I tell someone I'm moving here, I get negative responses. So I've been researching and I get mixed reviews. My opinion is that anywhere can have bad areas, some more than others. I just need to be smart about the area I choose. So I figured I'd get some direct opinions from people in the area.

My research is leading me to the East Falls area. Seems to be alot of quiet outside areas there, a few nice apartment buildings. My apartment here in Durham is spacious with nice finishes and near restaurants and shopping, so I'm looking for the same when I move. I don't really want to live directly in Center City (seems alittle too busy for me). But I'd still like to be in a walkable distance to a few things.

I've answered the relocation questionnaire below to give more detail. I'm planning to come up to look around a couple of times between now and late August.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

When are you moving? Late August/Early September
Where are you coming from? Durham, NC
Why are you moving? For work, kinda.
Where will you be working? At home. My job is a mix of travel and home-based. So I just need relatively easy access to an airport (30 min or so) (
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?apartment or loft. Looking to spend around in the range of $1700 (hopefully including parking
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?high rise with, secure access and 24/7 lobby attendant. To and from the airport at odd hours, so my biggest concern is safety

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, early 30s, no kids
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? not really
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? closer to calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, resturants etc.)- Since I work from home, I'd like to be in a somewhat walkable area.
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?Similar age, young professionals

Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi

Last edited by NCSweetTee; 06-26-2016 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:46 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweetTee View Post
Hello All,
I'm moving to Philly in a couple of months due to a promotion at work. I could actually live anywhere from PA to Maine. I chose Philly because it's about as far south as I'm allowed to go, still a reasonable drive back home, major airport and proximity to DC and NYC.

When ever I tell someone I'm moving here, I get negative responses. So I've been researching and I get mixed reviews. My opinion is that anywhere can have bad areas, some more than others. I just need to be smart about the area I choose. So I figured I'd get some direct opinions from people in the area.

My research is leading me to the East Falls area. Seems to be alot of quiet outside areas there, a few nice apartment buildings. My apartment here in Durham is spacious with nice finishes and near restaurants and shopping, so I'm looking for the same when I move. I don't really want to live directly in Center City (seems alittle too busy for me). But I'd still like to be in a walkable distance to a few things.

I've answered the relocation questionnaire below to give more detail. I'm planning to come up to look around a couple of times between now and late August.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

When are you moving? Late August/Early September
Where are you coming from? Durham, NC
Why are you moving? For work, kinda.
Where will you be working? At home. My job is a mix of travel and home-based. So I just need relatively easy access to an airport (30 min or so) (
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?apartment or loft. Looking to spend around in the range of $1700 (hopefully including parking
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?high rise with, secure access and 24/7 lobby attendant. To and from the airport at odd hours, so my biggest concern is safety

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, early 30s, no kids
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? not really
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? closer to calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, resturants etc.)- Since I work from home, I'd like to be in a somewhat walkable area.
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?Similar age, young professionals

Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi
East Falls is a fine but it is more than 30 minutes from PHL airport. But if you are set on that area or near to it, I would absolutely check out Aldan Park Manor, 5580 Wissihickon Ave. It's a fabulous apartment complex, with historic feel(because it is) and, as I understand it, redone/rehabbed units. Parking looks like it should be no issue.

People who continue to say negative things about Philadelphia have either never been to the city, or haven't been to the city in years, or spend too much time on the internet and all the trolling.

Hopefully you will have time to visit the city and area before your move. I highly recommend that.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
East Falls is a fine but it is more than 30 minutes from PHL airport. But if you are set on that area or near to it, I would absolutely check out Aldan Park Manor, 5580 Wissihickon Ave. It's a fabulous apartment complex, with historic feel(because it is) and, as I understand it, redone/rehabbed units. Parking looks like it should be no issue.

People who continue to say negative things about Philadelphia have either never been to the city, or haven't been to the city in years, or spend too much time on the internet and all the trolling.

Hopefully you will have time to visit the city and area before your move. I highly recommend that.
Thank you! I was beginning to get a little worried because almost everytime I mention my move, people will suggest the suburbs or tell me to just move to NYC.

I think I came across the name of that complex, but never really looked at it. I'll check that out. Do you have any suggestions of areas closer to the airport? Driving or riding more than 30 min to get home every week on late Thursday nights might get a little old.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:24 AM

10,279 posts, read 5,943,675 times
Quote:
Thank you! I was beginning to get a little worried because almost everytime I mention my move, people will suggest the suburbs or tell me to just move to NYC.

I think I came across the name of that complex, but never really looked at it. I'll check that out. Do you have any suggestions of areas closer to the airport? Driving or riding more than 30 min to get home every week on late Thursday nights might get a little old.
Some of those folks may actually be ex-Philadelphians! Anyhow they seem to have missed the news that Philadelphia is doing better than it has in years... the city has stopped bleeding people and construction projects are high... cranes in the air.

Being closer to the airport might mean communities in Delaware Co(it's adjacent to the city) like Swarthmore, Media, or Ridley Park.

There is train service to the airport but that's more doable/timely if you live in Center City or University City.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Some of those folks may actually be ex-Philadelphians! Anyhow they seem to have missed the news that Philadelphia is doing better than it has in years... the city has stopped bleeding people and construction projects are high... cranes in the air.

Being closer to the airport might mean communities in Delaware Co(it's adjacent to the city) like Swarthmore, Media, or Ridley Park.

There is train service to the airport but that's more doable/timely if you live in Center City or University City.
A few of them were ex-Philadelphian's, lol. But those people also admitted that they only really knew about the hood and not much else. The rest are people that haven't lived much outside of NC.

I'll check out those other places as well. I'm attempting to get as much info as I can before I make a trip up, so I'm not just wandering around feeling completely overwhelmed.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:49 AM

23,174 posts, read 28,597,748 times
Quote:

Actually, I suspect that the negative Nancys are from the NY metro. They far outnumber former Philadelphians in that area of NC. People from the Philadelphia area are more likely to be found in the Charlotte area.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, I suspect that the negative Nancys are from the NY metro. They far outnumber former Philadelphians in that area of NC. People from the Philadelphia area are more likely to be found in the Charlotte area.
That sounds about right. The people that are actually from Philly live in Charlotte. I lived there for 8 years before moving to Durham a little under a year ago.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I checked out those areas. Seems a bit more sleepy than what I'm looking for? Also in terms the apartment choices, not really what I'm looking for. I'll probably just have to deal with a longer commute to the airport. The actual apartment and building (security and nice aesthetics) is more important. If I have to live and work there, I want it to be pretty, lol.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:16 AM

1,245 posts, read 800,892 times
You could also check out Delaware, the State and not the PA County. Having moved from mid-America, I can tell you that it took me a while to get accustomed to these parts of the Union. The closest thing to Durham on the East Coast is in Delaware. It has the new and shiny aspects as opposed to the old and grimy feel of Philadelphia, or as they like to call it historic.

Quote:
I checked out those areas. Seems a bit more sleepy than what I'm looking for? Also in terms the apartment choices, not really what I'm looking for. I'll probably just have to deal with a longer commute to the airport. The actual apartment and building (security and nice aesthetics) is more important. If I have to live and work there, I want it to be pretty, lol.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
You could also check out Delaware, the State and not the PA County. Having moved from mid-America, I can tell you that it took me a while to get accustomed to these parts of the Union. The closest thing to Durham on the East Coast is in Delaware. It has the new and shiny aspects as opposed to the old and grimy feel of Philadelphia, or as they like to call it historic.
Oooh. Nobody's suggested that. So it could be a thing too. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or